< Links of the day | Main | Stadiums in Minnesota >

Yawn

mossmcksm.jpg
Good try McKenzie

Well, Mike McKenzie ended his hold out with the Packers. All I can say is, yawn. This is not a big deal Vikings fans. As the pictures I have chosen hopefully will show you, we've never had trouble scoring on Mike McKenzie, or the entire Packers secondary for that matter. I found Darren Sharper's comments especially amusing:

"I'm excited to have Mr. McKenzie back," Packers safety Darren Sharper said. "Now we have all the pieces in place with this team to make our run to the Super Bowl. And I dare any offensive team to throw the ball at our secondary now. I double-dare them. I quadruple-dare them to test us as a secondary."

mossmac2sm.jpg
Hey McKenzie, Moss is over there...

Umm ... yeah. Maybe Sharper has forgotten last year when the Vikings scored 30 points in a win at Lambeau (Moss had 150 yards receiving and a touchdown) and 27 points in a loss to Green Bay at the Dome (Moss had 87 yards and a touchdown). Isn't this the same secondary they Vikings will be seeing this year? The Vikings will have no trouble scoring points. That is not the concern. The concern is can we stop the Packers offense? That, of course, remains to be seen.

mossmac3sm.jpg
So close, but yet another Moss TD...

The Vikings made their own moves yesterday signing two washed up defensive backs to shore up their shaky secondary: Terrance Shaw and Ralph Brown. Now I hope these two can step up and really contribute. In fact, I expect it. But there is a reason they were released and no one picked them up until the Vikings came calling. Maybe they've lost a step. I don't think I need to remind any Vikings fan of Antonio Freeman's Monday Night Miracle in 2000. Do you remember who was covering Freeman? That's right, Cris Dishman, a guy the Chiefs cut during training camp that year and the Vikings signed to shore up their shaky secondary. Hopefully history will not repeat itself.

So, in conclusion, it matters little that McKenzie is back with the Packers. This is the same secondary they had last year when they lucked themselves into the playoffs. What matters is the Vikings own defense and our ability to stop what appears to be an improved Packer offense.

Posted by snackeru at September 16, 2004 8:49 AM | Vikings

While Sharper is an outstanding safety, I find his comments to be perplexing. Ever since Moss joined the Vikings, he has owned the Packers. Remember his very first Monday Night game at Lambeau? Ahh, the memories. The sole person responsible for any Packer victories versus the Vikes in recent memory has been Ahman Green. McKenzie, Sharper, and whatever losers they throw out there have never come close to effecting the game in anything other than a negative manner fir the Packers. Skol Vikings!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 16, 2004 9:01 AM

Sharper is a bit overenthusiasic in his comments now that Mike is back. I am happy that he is back (probably for only this season), and with him the Packers secondary is better than without him. The Vikes are going to score points, of that there is no doubt, it's a hell of an offense. But Shane, you are correct, can the Vikings D stop the Packers O enough to win? Right now, Viking fans should be concerned given the way Dallas moved on them virtually at will. However, it is too early in the season for any meaningful read into this. As always, records and previous games mean nothing when these 2 teams meet.

Funny Curt, you say that Green is the only one to do anything against the Vikes and dismiss the Pack as losers. So I guess the argument would work in reverse as Moss is the only one to do anything against the Packers so the rest of the Vikes must be losers then.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 16, 2004 9:27 AM

Your Wisconsin logic is faulty, Craig. There have been many Vikings who have played well versus the Pack: Moss, Daunte, Michael Bennett, Greg Biekert (two INTs versus Favre at the game I attended), Jack Brewer (one INT versus Farve followed by a late hit out of bounds by the Golden Brett), etc.. My central argument is that when the Pack has defeated the Vikes in recent years (especially at the Metrodome) is has been due to the running game of Ahman Green, and little else. Certainly, the offensive line would be deserving of praise as well. It has not, however, been any member of the Packers defense (especially Sharper or McKenzie), Farve, or any of the Packer receiving corps. It is Ahman Green, and him alone. If the Vikes can find a way to contain him, I think they stand have an outstanding chance, unless someone else steps up, which hasn't happened since the Moss era began.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 16, 2004 10:12 AM

Well put Curt. Ahman Green had a phenomenal game last week, and Favre has already said that the Packers are now Green's team, not his. I'm still optimistic about this year, but Dallas did march down the field against our defense. Our defensive line has got to play much better. The Eagles will be a good (too good?) test.

Posted by: Shane at September 16, 2004 10:46 AM

Let's see, Favre has had good games, Sharper has (last year 66 yd int ret), KGB (sack and FF that he recovered), Tony Fisher (3rd string RB got 96 yds and td), Ferguson (105 yds and 2 td)... Your point has been soundly defeated. Yes, Green is huge part of the Packers success, but also goes with one of the best OL in the league (another unsung and outstanding unit that steps up game after game). Enjoy your new DBs!!! I look forward to seeing them get burned by Favre. He'll have all day to throw. Especially when the Vikes have to put 8 in the box as Green scares the hell out of them.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at September 16, 2004 10:51 AM

Do you have to mention the "Crisp Dishman" play? Argh, I'm still not over that. COMPLETE THE PLAY, Chris, COMPLETE THE PLAY. Celebrate when it's over! Argh. That and the Arizona play that knocked the Vikes out of the playoffs haunt me. Well, there are really too many big, season-changing plays against the Vikes secondary to mention, starting with the original "Hail Mary" play (which should have been flagged as Offensive Pass Interference, but whatever). One of the safest bets in sports is that the Other Guys will complete a crucial pass against the Vikings, whether it's 3rd and 10 or 4th and 25 with the clock expiring. It's sad, but it's true.

Posted by: kurtis at September 17, 2004 3:22 PM