< Yawn | Main | Red giving up? >

Stadiums in Minnesota

Since the Twins Geek has linked to me touting my blathering on stadium issues, I've decided to shelve what I was going to write today and highlight some of the things I've written on stadiums before. For those of you that don't know, I am a stadium nut-job. I can't stop thinking about them. I soak up stadium news like a sponge and seek it out like a bounty hunter. So, if you want to keep up on what is happening regarding stadiums in Minnesota, then you have come to the right place.

Here are a few posts I've made in the past year regarding stadiums. Some you may agree with, and some you may not. One thing you will discover quickly though is I think about stadiums way too much. When they finally build at the very least a Twins stadium in Minnesota my free time will probably increase ten fold.

Of course, there is more. If you haven't yet made a decision on where you stand on the stadium issue in Minnesota, hopefully I can help you decide. One thing I will never figure out is the apathy of Twins fans regarding this issue. If every Twins fan wrote their legislator a letter concerning a new Twins stadium it would make a huge difference. The threat of losing the Twins is real. They cannot survive in the Metrodome forever. And quite frankly we, as fans, should be demanding better. Until then we will look at Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Detroit, Atlanta, Cleveland, Arlington, Foxboro, Green Bay, Phoenix, Milwaukee, San Diego, Cincinatti, Nashville, and all the others that have figured out how to make something work ... we will look at all of them and wonder how they did it. Are we not smart enough to figure something out? Or are we too smart? Whatever the case, we are rapidly approaching, as Larry Spooner calls it, 3rd Dakota status.

Posted by snackeru at September 17, 2004 9:27 AM | Stadiums

As a resident of the 1st Dakota (with apologies to South Dakota), I can testify to the nature of a life in a city and state without professional sports. There is nothing here in Grand Forks which makes this town different than Fargo, Bismarck, Pierre, Des Moines, Omaha, Eau Claire, etc. Professional sports bring an identity and source of cultural pride to a community and state. It could certainly be argued that the following the Twins and Vikings receive here in the Dakotas, as well as parts of Iowa and Wisconsin, suggest that this phenomenon is regional in scope.

What pops into your mind, for example, when I mention Omaha? In spite of the fact that Omaha is a very large city, (and according to what I have heard a wonderful place to live)nothing really comes to mind. Imagine the city of Green Bay without the Packers. Can you say Grand Forks? The people of Minnesota need to realize what a treasure the Twins and Vikings are to the history and cultural heritage of the state. In addition, the fact that the stadiums bring in tax dollars and provide employment should not be overlooked. Thank you, Shane, for helping to keep focus on this issue. I can only hope and pray that your efforts are not in vain.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 17, 2004 10:22 AM

Hey, what about Sioux hockey? Grand Forks thrives on it. It's not pro sports, but it might as well be.

Posted by: kurtis at September 17, 2004 4:33 PM

You are right in that Sioux hockey is very close to professional. It is just not the same, though. I grew up in central Minnesota, and have cheered for the Twins and Vikings for well over 20 years. Cheering for UND Hockey just isn't the same.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at September 18, 2004 8:20 AM