< More about stadiums | Main | Weekend >

Reason #324

Twins stadium Reason #324 to build a new Twins stadium: The Twins game is suspended today after 11 innings so the Metrodome can get ready for the Gophers game tonight. The Twins are fighting for home field advantage, and they have to stop playing!!! Argh!!! This is ridiculous! The only good thing that can come out of this fiasco is that we had 32,000 fans leaving the Metrodome this afternoon grumbling about the stadium situation. That is 32,000 fans that paid for a game that hasn't finished yet. If you were at the game, let me know, was there booing? What was the crowd like after they announced the game would be suspended? Regardless, how long are we as Minnesotans going to put up with this?

Posted by snackeru at October 2, 2004 3:44 PM | Stadiums

I was at the game, but I had to leave after the top of the 11th due to a family emergency. The only boos I heard while I was there were directed at the Indians. They apparently flashed a notice on the big screen that no innings would be played after 2:30 due to the Gopher game, but I didn't see it. Maybe nobody else did either?

Posted by: Nick (From QWERTY) at October 3, 2004 6:00 PM

Interesting. It sounds like Twins fans are maybe resigned to their fate. The apathy of Twins fans regarding this stadium issue is shocking to me. Here's hoping at least a few of the people at the game will let their disgust be heard to our state government.

Posted by: Shane at October 3, 2004 9:25 PM

Ah, but Shane, you must have missed that this story had a happy ending. I was at Sunday's game, not Saturday's, and from my LF corner vantage point it appeared to me that we owed our 12th inning victory in the resumed game at least in part to the reason for the suspension. Here's what happened. With Ojeda on first Michael Cuddyer lined a hit to the right center gap. Ojeda scored on a fairly close play, probably because the right fielder slipped when trying to field the ball. To me it looked like the footing problem was caused by his venturing into the area marked by the rollers for the retractable stands. Unfortunately the Twins didn't hit any balls in a similar direction in the last game. Had their aim been better, we might be enjoying home field advantage and opening against the Red Sox tonight.

I know ... that's a strained interpretation, but shouldn't we be looking at the suspended game as a welcome addition to the case for new stadia? It probably convinced more people than a megabyte of well-written blogs on the subject. At the very least, take some consolation in the fact that this suspended game and last year's Friday night Michigan-Minnesota football game wouldn't have been viewed as much of a problem unless we finally reached the point where baseball and football games in October actually matter in Minnesota.

Posted by: oldstuffer at October 5, 2004 1:10 PM

Oldstuffer, you are right on the money as usual. I was too harsh in my synopsis, but it was written right after it happened. In retrospect I am more than thrilled that 32,000 people left disgruntled. I fear, however, that all will be forgotten come February when the do-nothings get back to "work."

And wasn't it Bartlett that scored on the Cuddyer double in the second game? It matters little now. All that matters is that Santana schools the Yankees tonight!

Posted by: Shane at October 5, 2004 1:48 PM