October 8, 2004
I'm going camping this weekend. I don't know what I did to anger the baseball gods so, but instead of watching Johan wrap up the ALDS on Saturday night I will be sitting around a campfire singing "Kumbaya" and eating smores. Usually this wouldn't be a bad thing. I've got a new tent, and I love camping, especially camping with my son and the rest of the Cub Scouts. But why, oh why, did it have to be on this weekend? Not only will I be missing the Twins game, I will also miss the Gopher game of the century against Michigan. Apparently, SI.com has already picked the Gophers to win 24-20 (although I can't find the page). That game starts at 11:00, at which time I'll probably be learning the difference between a double half-hitch and just a plain old half-hitch. Argh! It is very frustrating. But I've got a plan.
I bought a little radio last night that I hope to smuggle into the camp. The camp is in Stearns County, close to St. Cloud. You're not supposed to bring any electronic devices, but I'm sure I won't be alone. My question, though, is will I be able to pick up WCCO at the camp with this little radio? Does anyone know for sure, or if I should be tuning into a different station? I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has. I plan on stringing the headphones up through my clothes, out my neck hole, and into my ear. Or I could string it through my sleeve and out my arm hole and pretend to scratch my ear a lot. Even if I can only listen like every 5 minutes it will still be worth it.
Stick and Ball Guy has a good post today that you'll want to check out, but one part of his post in particular struck a chord with me. After he picked the Yankees to win game 3 he said:
You know what? I am not writing for a newspaper and I never will be. I don't have to be objective. Who really cares if I'm right or wrong? When it comes to the Twins, I am first and foremost a supporter...So forget that earlier prediction. The Twins are gonna rough up Brown and Silva's gonna give 'em enough. Twins win game 3. Good. I feel better.
Amen brother. What is the point of picking the Yankees to win? First of all the Yankees won't win, and secondly, there are many good reasons why they won't win and why the Twins will win the whole series for that matter:
- Kevin Brown is an idiot. Any pitcher who punches a wall, even if it is his non-pitching hand, is an idiot.
- The Yankees are evil. And I don't know if anyone ever told them, but good always beats evil in the end.
- A-Rod is bad luck. A-Rod leaves the Mariners and they still go to the playoffs and they win 116 games. A-Rod leaves the Rangers and they have their most successful season in years. The only way the Yankees are ever going to win another World Series is if A-Rod leaves the team. That is the way it works.
- I think the Homer Hankies this year look like the 1987 design. The Twins won the World Series in 1987. Enough said.
- The Twins have Dome field advantage. If you are reading this and going to the game please, for the love of all that is holy, scream like you've never screamed before. Scream so much that Derek Jeter wets himself. If he hasn't wet himself yet, you aren't screaming loud enough.
- I pet my lucky cat this morning and I smoothed the lucky Homer Hanky in a counter-clockwise direction. I will also wear my lucky Twins shirt tonight and I will probably put on my favorite Twins hat. Oh yes, I will do my part. Now it will be up to the Twins to do the rest.
- Because, because, because! The magic is back people! Who else feels it? Who doesn't believe in their heart of hearts that the Twins can pull this out? Two games! That is all it will take. If Silva can pitch his usual ground ball inducing stuff and the Twins can knock Brown around early, the Twins will be victorious. I personally feel it is inevitable.
Man, I am pumped up! Everybody sing along: We're gonna win Twins! We're gonna score! We're gonna win Twins watch that baseball soar! ...
Posted by snackeru at October 8, 2004 7:48 AM | Twins
The fact that you need to listen to the game on a Friday night could be worrisome. I would imagine that most of the local St. Cloud AM stations will be broadcasting a high school football game. Your only hope might be WCCO, which I imagine will come in. Good luck!! Skol Twins!!
Curt in Grand Forks
Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 8, 2004 9:40 AM
Don't worry Shane, I'll watch the game in my recliner, eat some Chipotle with a chocolate malt and give you a recap when you get home. Enjoy your camping!
Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 8, 2004 12:06 PM
Just to clairfy, I will be able to watch the game tonight. I don't leave for the campout until tomorrow morning. However, it is tomorrow's game that I am really going to miss, given Santana is on the mound. Oh well, that is life!
So, Craig, you can take that Chipotle and shove it ... er ... I mean enjoy your burrito!
Posted by: Shane at October 8, 2004 12:37 PM
Skol Twins! I love that!
Posted by: Shane at October 8, 2004 12:37 PM
Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 8, 2004 1:40 PM
I like your optimism. Why not also predict a Gopher win over Michigan? (man, you picked a bad day to go camping, but it looks like you'll have nice weather).
Posted by: kurtis at October 8, 2004 3:04 PM
Let me leave you a random note.... I go to school in Grand Rapids, MI but was born and raised in MN as an AVID twins fan. Anyway, long story short.... my best friend drove to MI from MN for the gopher football game... our other friend flew in from florida and we went to the MI/ MN football game. if you remember, it was a heart-wrenching loss for the team.... so afterwords in ann arbor we went to a sports bar to watch the twins game. needless to say it was probably the looooongest two hour ride home of my entire life. anyway, i was just reading this website randomly and was reminded of that night! figured you would feel my pain!!
Posted by: jamie at March 20, 2005 10:58 PM
Jamie, oh yes. I can feel your pain. I actually wrote about that weekend in an entry a couple of days after this one:
Man, that was a painful day.
Posted by: Shane at March 20, 2005 11:22 PM