< More about stadium impact | Main | Links of the day >

Off the cuff

If you are wondering why my entries lately are so sporadic it is because I am playing Mr. Mom at home this week. My wife is on jury duty so I had to take a week off of work and take care of the kids and house. It has actually been kind of fun, but I haven't had much time to sit at the computer. My younger son and daughter like attention so I've been playing with them, reading to them, cleaning the house, etc. Truthfully, I haven't really wanted to sit at the computer and write out this tripe. What follows is really not that interesting, so if you stop reading I will understand.

• I'm cheering for the Yankees. That's right, you heard me, the Yankees! It has gotten to the point where I think their dominance is actually comical. Just watching them tear up the Red Sox last night put a smile on my face for some reason. It's like all is right with the world. Why does the rest of the American League even try? Baseball is just ridiculous and the Yankees epitomize how ridiculous it is. I enjoyed Tim Keown's article on ESPN's Page 2 yesterday where he says, "What starts tonight is Evil Empire (A) vs. Evil Empire (B). It should be great theater." The Red Sox want us all to feel sad for them and their playoff futility. Ha! They spend just as much money as the Yankees and have nothing to show for it. They are just as evil as the Yankees only stupider! Why should I cheer for them? Regardless, I think we all know how this series will turn out anyway. Needless to say baseball has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure Spring Training will cure me of that.

• I'm listening to the Smashing Pumpkins "Cherub Rock" right now. Talk about a phenomonal rock song. It just consumes the auditory space around the listener. The lyrics have a sort of Holden Caulfield vibe to them, "But beware all those angels with their wings glued on." Fakeness, "coolness," teenage angst. It rocks and is the sort of song I have to stop and listen to. Thought you might like to know.

• I love working on a college campus. Freedom of speech runs rampant! I've got two examples of freedom of speech that has had the campus talking for the past couple of weeks. It is a rare day that there isn't someone on the mall handing out a pamphlet, giving a survey, or just plain preaching. Just a few weeks ago Brother Jed was back on campus preaching his brand of Christianity. I usually take a walk around the mall at lunch, so I got the opportunity to hear for myself how successfully he was leading people to the Lord. This is how he started his sermon, "Did you know that Paul Wellstone is in Hell?" Of course, this sent the crowd into a tizzy. What is Brother Jed trying to accomplish with a statement like that? First of all, how does he know where Paul Wellstone currently resides? Is he God? Is he the final judge? Secondly, with that statement I truly feel he did more to hurt his cause than anything else he could have said. About 200 kids decided right then and there not to take seriously anything he had to say. His approach is mind boggling to me. The next day I saw him I heard him saying "Woody Allen is going to Hell!" Again, I doubt any of the kids know who Woody Allen is anymore so strike one, and strike two, how does he know what will happen with Woody Allen? Contrast this with the Gideon's style of prostelytizing. They were just on campus a couple of weeks ago, too. They just hand out a Bible with a smile. No words, no fire and brimstone, you can either take a Bible or leave it. Which style is more effective I wonder? Every year I get a new Gideon Bible at the U of M, so I've got a nice collection of them so far. Brother Jed and the Gideons, two contrasting examples of the freedom of speech on campus. I would love to hear a definitive answer on which style is more effective. I think I have a pretty good idea.

• I call my wife "pookie" sometimes. I know, that is kind of sad, but after 10 years of marriage and three kids I've got nothing to prove to anyone. Anyway, yesterday I was asking my wife to please pass the spaghetti when I accidentally combined "por favor" with "pookie" and it came out, "Could you please pass the spaghetti, Porky?" My oldest son just about fell of his chair laughing while I quickly bactracked. Truthfully, I couldn't stop laughing either. And no, I don't think she ever passed me the spaghetti. That will have to go down as one of the worst things I have ever said to her, next to the time I called her a beluga whale when she was pregnant. I tried to explain to her that the beluga whale is one of the smallest varieties of whales in the whale family, but that didn't work out so well. Anyway, I say some stupid things sometimes to her. I'm lucky she loves me enough to forgive me.

That's all for now. If you made it down this far, I am impressed.

Posted by snackeru at October 13, 2004 10:23 AM | Life

You called your wife "Porky"??!!??!
YOU are going to Hell...

Posted by: Cheesehead's wife at October 13, 2004 2:19 PM

Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane, Shane.

I'm sure the wife is making you sleep out in the backyard in a tent. Need an extra blanket? Remember Shane, she's the one going to the "Y", I wouldn't mess with her right now.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 13, 2004 4:28 PM

You are so smooth, my friend. Even my wife laughed, though, when I told her the story.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 13, 2004 4:29 PM

Brother Jed ("Bro Jed" on his trying-hard-to-be-with-it web site) has been quite a phenomenon on the Northrup Mall for more than a quarter century. He has no interest in engaging a listener. The more outrageous his shtick the larger the crowd of hecklers he draws. Apparently that counts for something.

Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship used to send a speaker right after Jed and Sister Cindy left town. This guy was everything that Jed was not. He engaged listeners by taking their questions seriously and responding with explanations of why and how Jesus' teachings really make sense. He won the respect of some a lot of skeptics, and I've got to think he was a more effective evangelist.

The most telling thing on Bro Jed's website is the assertion that God's love is conditional. He says something to the effect that "God doesn't love everyone. He wants to love everyone." There is something pretty weird about a Christian who believes that an individual can control how God feels about him or her.

Posted by: oldstuffer at October 15, 2004 1:10 PM

ya just cheered me up!(brother jed thing-like christian hee!haw!) what i found on chreistian site was some legal mumbo about birthdays not being of god.they were used to wish people well,then gave children birthdays later.if they say that,then explain "Barbie"doll facsination all over globe.i haven't gotten christmas or birthay gift from my kids yet.i'll have to print off this story for a friend of mine.so are jobs plentiful on a college campus?

Posted by: david gustafson at January 27, 2005 1:44 PM