< Let's talk about sports | Main | Links of the day >

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• Daunte Culpepper ... wow. I love to watch this guy play. Another game, another 5 touchdown pass performance. He is making it look so easy that we might be taking it for granted what inspired football he is playing right now. And for all the people that think Gus Frerotte should be starting ... I can't believe I even had to type that sentence out. Reusse had a great beginning to his column today dealing with the Daunte haters out there:

Daunte Culpepper's most determined critics were not able to view his entire performance on Sunday night. These people were otherwise occupied from 8 to 9 p.m., since they make up the I.Q. demographic for "Desperate Housewives."

Zing! Here is hoping that a 425 yard, 5 TD pass performance will shut these people up. Daunte is the NFL MVP so far this season. No question about it.

• Randy Moss will be back next week. I think we can bank on that. But in his absence Nate Burleson had a really nice game. Actually, 6 receptions for 134 yards is really, really nice. But if Daunte didn't get the game ball last night it would have to go to Mewelde Moore: 109 yards rushing, 78 yards receiving, and 51 yards returning kicks. What impressed me more, though, about this kid is how hard he is to bring down. Cheesehead Craig and I both agreed he reminds us of Ahman Green, except he holds on to the ball too. Now the question is, what happens when Bennett comes back? What happens when Smith comes back? I honestly would rather see Moore in there. He is tough, he is determined, he rushes, he catches, he does it all, and he does it impressively. Steal of the Draft? I think we have finally seen the SOD and it ain't Onterrio "Pass the Dutchie" Smith.

• If anything can temper my enthusiasm for the Vikings this year, it is the pathetic defense. Yet again the game came down to the last quarter, and the last minutes, even though the Vikings offense was able to rack up 38 points. Corey Chavous is saying this is a "team game" but if one part of this team will keep them out of the Super Bowl it is the defense. What if the Vikings traded Bennett for another decent corner, or a healthy linebacker? Unfortunately I doubt any other team would take the injury prone Bennett at this point. Switching defensive coordinators for the past 3-4 years (I honestly can't remember how many the Vikings have had) cannot help, but Cotrell's schemes are not impressing me at all. Tice even had to challenge the defense this week to be more agressive. Here is hoping they can improve because they will not go to the Super Bowl with this defense.

• My family carved pumpkins this weekend. I'll be showing the three pumpkin designs in the next couple of days, but I think the best design goes to my oldest son. Every year he comes up with a new design, and every year I say to myself, "That is going to look stupid." And every year he proves me wrong. I don't know what inspired this year's design, but I think it looks kind of cool.

• My kids and I have started to play my old Stratego game. Do you remember Stratego? It is an easy game to learn and it is fun to play for adults and kids. Anyway, take a look at the box cover for my old version of Stratego. What the heck does it mean to be a "two-handed" strategy game? I certainly don't have to use two hands to play. Do they mean to say it is a "two-player" strategy game? Very odd.

• I pray the Gophers don't have to play Michigan and Michigan State back-to-back next year again because that just isn't working out for them. What an ugly game. Not only did they prove they aren't yet a Rose Bowl contending team, but they also proved they are not a tough team either. It was cold, it was rainy, and it was obvious they prefer to play inside. The U could have renovated Memorial Stadium for $10 million. Instead they chose to move into the Metrodome. Some decisions come back to haunt you, but that decision is a fricken nightmare that won't stop.

• Finally, I am upset the Red Sox won last night. It just prolongs the inevitable. I love David Ortiz, but the rest of the Red Sox can take a flying leap.

Posted by snackeru at October 18, 2004 8:46 AM | Sports | Vikings

They won't deal Bennett anytime soon, as significant trades rarely happen during the season. Do you think they would trade for another D lineman before a corner anyway? WOuld Kevin Williams be better at DE instead of D tackle? The defense is a little shaky, but it appears to be better than 98, and we all know how far that team advanced!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 18, 2004 9:07 AM

Wow. You really think this defense is better than the '98 defense? I would have to disagree, but I am intrigued by that comment. By what factors do you determine that this defense is better? Because if you are right it would go a long way towards making me more excited for the potential of this team.

Posted by: Shane at October 18, 2004 9:10 AM

Shane, not to pour salt on the Gopher wound, but here's a stat to point out how important the Michigan game is to the Gophers. After the last 12 Michigan games (all losses), the Gophers are 0-12 for the week following that game. We know that the Yankees are Pedro's daddy, but I believe now we know who the Gopher's daddy is.
Amazing what Michigan means to this program.

Curt, I will respectfully disagree on that this defense is as good as the '98 squad. This defense is poor, real poor (we Packer fans know all about poor defense this year). The '98 squad was middle of the pack, ranked #15 or so that year, they gave up yds, but not too many points. This defense is giving up both. In '98 there were convincing wins. This year, the first game is the only one close, but Dallas just about dominated the first half. This offense is so hot now, this team should be winning by at least 10 pts/game. Sqweaking by Houston, Chicago, and NO is not a sign of a good defense.

Best cheer of the weekend: "Bye Bye Heismann" clap, clap, clapclapclap... after the Orton fumble against the Badgers. Erasmus James is coming for you Cupito. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 18, 2004 9:41 AM

All I can say is that I am damned glad I don't have an emotional attachment to the Gophers. Wow, was that depressing or what? And I'm not even a fan!

Posted by: Stick and Ball Guy at October 18, 2004 6:03 PM

Hey! What you did with Dave Ortiz back in his Minnesota days is your business "...I love David Ortiz....." Sorry about that "inevitable" red Sox loss...hahahahahaha..FOOL!!!

Posted by: Joe D at November 13, 2004 7:06 PM