< Songs for a Desert Island V | Main | Donald Watkins Part II and some links >

Red Sox, Chimneys, and Gopher Basketball

• Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed. For the Red Sox to come back from 0-3 to take the AL pennant against the hated Yankees is something truly spectacular. David Oritz and Dougie deserve it and I am happy for them. However, spare me this underdog/curse/anti-Yankee mumbo jumbo. The Red Sox payroll is almost $130 million. That is still $60 million less than the Yankees, but it is also an obscene amount of money. In my mind the Red Sox are just as much to blame for the economic problems in baseball as the Yankees and for this reason they don't deserve, and they will never get, my support. I know, I'm sure they are crying and gnashing their teeth over my lack of support, but I gotta take a stand somewhere. Are they the lesser of two evils? Barely and it pains me to even feel a little spot of goodness in my heart for their victory last night. All I've got to say is go Houston. If it is a Red Sox - Astros World Series only then will it have a modicum of respectability. But that is just me. All of you go ahead and slobber all over yourselves proclaiming that the Evil Empire has been defeated when in truth the evil regime's little brother has merely taken over.

• The Gopher's basketball team is in trouble. How do I know this? Advertisements in the student newspaper to help sell student ticket packages feature Jeff Hagen. In fact, he is the only player featured in the advertisements. Now don't get me wrong. I like Jeff Hagen. He is a good player and a hard worker. He is not someone, though, that you build your team around and I think he would agree. If that is the best player on the Gophers, the only player worthy of featuring in an advertisement to build excitement for the team, then they are in a load of trouble this year. He wasn't even awarded a scholarship until his sophomore year. Again, I like Hagen, but I am feeling a little queasy about the Gopher's chances this year.

• I had my chimney cleaned yesterday. Nick of Nick's Chimney Service came out a did a great job. However, he was the second person to come out and take a look at my chimney and wood burning stove. The first company to come out, and I can't remember their name now, told me that my chimney was so bad that they would have to pretty much rebuild the chimney for me. They said the tiles were all cracked and falling apart, that it wasn't up to code, and that it would need a stainless steel pipe running the entire length of the chimney to make it safe for use. They quoted me $3,000 to repair it. Now, either they thought they could give me a royal porking, or they were just plain stupid. Nick and his people came in and cleaned the chimney, showed me everything they had done and described it all in detail, assured me that the chimney looked very safe, and then charged me less than the first company would have just for the cleaning. Moral of the story is in the world of chimney cleaning, get a second opinion.

• You know what pains me the most about the Yankees-Red Sox series? It should have been the Twins vs. the Red Sox. Maybe that is why I am so bitter. The Twins should have won game 2 of the ALDS, and they had game 4 wrapped up too. I like what the Twins Geek had to say about the Yankees victory over the Twins, "this series was won when one team had (and continues to have) more mojo - not because they bought it." Were the Twins the better team? I would argue they had better pitching, but I will agree that the Yankees definitely had more of that confidence, that cocky attitude, that winners usually have. Will next year be different for the Twins? I sure hope so.

That is all for now. Maybe more later.

Posted by snackeru at October 21, 2004 8:55 AM | Life | Sports | Twins

Let's go Red Sox!!!! Let's go Red Sox!!!

I'm rooting for the Red Sox, why? Think of it this way Shane: If the Sox win the Series, we can stop hearing about 1918 and how these fans are tortured. The Curse has finally been broken, so that is another thing we'll stop hearing about. The media will have to stop with these stupid Red Sox/Yankee stories. This is actually a good thing.

All the teams in the LCS have huge payrolls and star-studded lineups, so there's no real team to root for. St. Louis? Yankee west, but with younger players and less hype. Houston? Please. They go out and get Beltran, Pettite, Kent and Clemens and I'm supposed to not think this is like Boston or the Yankees. Give me the Florida or Arizona champs anyday.

Great to hear about the chimney. What was the name of the company who wanted to replace it? I'm sure the millions of readers would want to know who to avoid.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 21, 2004 9:42 AM

Of all the teams left in the playoffs, Houston is the most fiscally responsible therefore they get my support. Again, I'm sure they are thrilled. But you are right, they are no Florida. That was really a team I could get behind. And you have a point: if Boston finally does win the WS I won't have to hear about their stupidity and "curse" anymore. Good call. I still think they are a bunch of whining, over-payed, spoiled little brats (except for David Ortiz).

I can't remember who we had come out to clean our chimney so I don't want to just guess and ruin someone's reputation. So sorry to all five of my readers.

Posted by: Shane at October 21, 2004 12:01 PM

Go Red Sox! The stars are beginning to align correctly, and traditionally downtrodden franchises are winning championships. Until the last five years, the Patriots were an NFL laughing stock. Now they are a two time Super Bowl winner and NFL powerhouse. The Cubs have put together two good years, although they did come up a little short. The Rams were a pathetic franchise until the last couple of years. Ditto the post-merger history of the Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens. And we all know about the current run of the Boston Red Sox. What I am trying to say is that the apex of the cone of time is pointing toward a Red Sox championship. And if this happens, a Vikings Super Bowl win is just around the corner. Think about it: our team has been beset by injuries, a cheap out of state owner, and an unclear stadium situation. And yet the Vikings are 4-1, and their most hated rival is off to one of its worst starts in franchise history! Get ready Vikings fans, this is the year!!!!

Skol Red Sox!
Skol Vikings!!!!!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 21, 2004 1:40 PM

Shane-
Speaking of the Twins/Yankees series, did you catch Juan Rincon's featured quote in last week's Sports Illustrated regarding his ill-fated 8th inning? It will go down as one of my favorite sport quotes. "Nobody would want to be in my pants right now"
Jim in St. Paul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at October 21, 2004 3:24 PM

First of all, Curt, that is the best reason I have ever heard to cheer for the Red Sox. The apex of the cone of time does seem to be preparing itself for a inevitable Viking Super Bowl victory. I may have to change my tune!

And Jim, that is the funniest quote I have ever read. Absolutely priceless.

Shane

Posted by: Shane at October 21, 2004 5:51 PM

I think the better indication of how bad the men's basketball team will be is the fact that they've slashed the prices for student season tickets.

Well at least I thought they did because I swear the paper was advertising them for $99, not the $190 some they were asking for earlier.

Posted by: Brad Froehle at October 21, 2004 8:14 PM

ilooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeee you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but why red

Posted by: laila at March 21, 2005 3:45 PM