< Pohlad needs to do more | Main | OK, I'm happy >

Greet Machine Voter's Guide

Well, I have completed the first draft of the Greet Machine Voter's Guide. The goal of the voter's guide is to list candidates for the Minnesota House of Representatives that are stadium friendly, especially Twins stadium friendly. Our legislature has sat idly by for too long on this issue. Stadium costs continue to increase while our legislators continue to argue and play partisan politics. This issue needs to be solved and we need energetic, thoughtful, and intelligent legislators that are willing to negotiate and hammer out a deal. Needless to say, the group of legislators in St. Paul last session were none of the above. Hopefully, we can change all that. To access the guide point your browser to:

Greet Machine Voter's Guide

This is repeated on the Voter's Guide itself, but I thought I might give some background on how I built it. This list was created by using any resource I could find including newspaper endoresements, debate transcriptions/reports, newspaper and magazine articles, Google searches, the Taxpayer's League of Minnesota web site, and my own knowledge of the subject. As you will see, the list is not finished, and it is far from perfect. This issue, like many other issues, has turned highly partisan as Republicans that once opposed stadium financing are now supporting it (Pawlenty), and DFLers that once supported stadium financing now seem to oppose it (say it ain't so Dean Johnson!). That makes it very hard, sometimes, to pick the best candidate in terms of stadium friendliness. If I've made a mistake, please let me know!

Please, if you see any errors, or you would like to help finish the list off, please let me know. And please note, this list is only a guide. If you are struggling with your decision on who to vote for in your district based on all the other issues that are important to you, hopefully this list can help push you over the edge in favor of a candidate that supports stadium financing in Minnesota.

Posted by snackeru at October 26, 2004 1:30 PM | Stadiums

Great site! You were right on regarding District 11B, where Mary Ellen Otremba has consistently voted against all stadium bills in recent memory. This is my old district, where my parents still live. I wrote her several times (using my parents' address), and she always responds that she knows about the bill, and says there are many other priorities while she votes against it! I would also recommend, Shane, that you tell the Star Tribune and the Pioneer Press about the site. It could be just the type of article they are looking for this election season.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at October 26, 2004 3:41 PM

Shane, this is a terrific (and impressively comprehensive) guide. I have been looking for something like this for quite some time, and I will be sure and direct my readers to it as soon as I get the chance. You are absolutely right: people need to be more educated on this issue, and the upcoming election is a great place to start. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Posted by: Ryan at October 26, 2004 10:36 PM

Sorry to double up here, but I accidentally spelled my own domain name wrong (can you believe that?!). You can find me at twinschatter.blogspot.com or twinschatter.com (within the next couple days). Thanks again Shane.

-Ryan M.

Posted by: Ryan at October 26, 2004 10:40 PM

Ryan--

Thanks for the comment(s). I've already got you linked up on my blog, so I knew where to find you. And thanks for any traffic you can send to the page. It is very important that we get soem Twins friendly legislators in the Minnesota House.
Your "Waves Theory" was a very good article although you didn't mention Denard Span. Is he not panning out? I honestly don't know.

Posted by: Shane at October 27, 2004 10:53 AM

Shane,
I might have to vote for Palmatier, in his essay on the Strib site, he puts "Be excellent to each other". Any candidate that is willing to quote "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" for his formal essay, I gotta give serious consideration for.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 27, 2004 2:57 PM

I know. In my letter to him I told him how much I approved of that motto. He seems like a pretty nice guy. I wish he would respond to my question about his support of the Twins stadium. It pains me that I have to vote for Latz!

Why don't you write him too?

Posted by: Shane at October 27, 2004 3:01 PM

Great idea! I love it. I have reached out to Jeff Johnson (43A) in my district to see where he stands. I'll let you know what he says. Feel free to send me your direct e-mail and I'll update you when/if I hear.

Brian Maas

Mr. Cheer Or Die's Viking Underground
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/

Posted by: Brian Maas at October 28, 2004 2:51 PM

Brian--

Fantastic! "Jeff Johnson" is such a common name it has been impossible to find anything on him. I would be very grateful to you if you could find out anything about him. And I'm glad you like the list. I've had a shockingly good response from people for it. I was expecting some hate mail but all I've received is good comments and help like yours.

Also, I'm thrilled to have another Viking fan on UThink, especially Mr. Cheer or Die. I'm also a Vikings season ticket holder, but I sold half my games. I won't go again until the Seahawks game, but I will be able to buy my kids Christmas presents this year. My wife and her stupid priorities! Sheesh!

I look forward to hearing from you regarding Rep. Johnson!

Shane

Posted by: Shane at October 28, 2004 3:18 PM

I'm so ready for all new stadiums for Twins, Vikings, Gophers, who else needs one? so that we can stop all the talk about stadiums and get on with everything else.

I think the people of Minnesota should have a rally infront of the State Capitol so they can see all the people who support new stadiums.

Vote already, we want our stadiums.

Posted by: Charles at May 5, 2005 8:40 PM