< OK, I'm happy | Main | The Apathy of Twins Fans >

Feeling pretty good

I'm feeling pretty good for some reason. Things are going well, I guess you could say. For example, my Voter's Guide seems to be a big hit. I've gotten a lot of good feedback concerning the Guide. Dave St. Peter, president of the Twins, even wrote me to say THANKS. Yes, he actually capitalized all the letters in THANKS. I asked him for some assistance in putting the list together, but understandably he hasn't provided any. Unlike me, he actually has to work with the legislature, and any legislators that are elected that may be anti-stadium. As always, take a look at the guide if you haven't yet already and let me know if any changes or additions are necessary.

And sorry that there haven't been many updates recently to this blog or Super G. The Guide has taken up a lot of my time.

• I'm also surprised at how the Red Sox victory last night has made me feel. Pretty good, truth be told, and that is surprising given how much I can't stand the Red Sox. Really, I think I feel so good because as a result of their victory last night I feel much better about the Vikings chances this year.

The Vikings are a good team. There is no doubt about that. And the good thing is their defense is getting better. I'm sure this has already been beaten to death in other sports based blogs, but they didn't allow a touchdown in a game for the first time since 1998. We all know how good the Vikes were in 1998. Plus, for the first time in like 3 years they actually humiliated a team they were supposed to beat. Now, I'm sure a lot of people are pointing to the fact that McNair was on the bench, but usually this would be the perfect opportunity for the Vikes to either barely beat the team or actually lose (see Arizona Cardinals game last year). Not this time. The Vikings are better, and more importantly they are getting better every week.

You know who I really like out there on the defense? Terrance Shaw. He is playing some very good defense right now. A few passes defenced and an interception is practically Viking Ring of Honor caliber given where the defense has been the last couple of years.

This Sunday should be a pretty good test against the Giants. Warner has lit up the Vikings secondary before. I look forward to seeing if the Vikings can keep it together and become another team of destiny.

• Of course, all of this would be in spite of Red McCombs. Is there a bigger bastard in all of Vikings history? He continues to absolutely put his foot in his mouth and dig himself a deeper and deeper hole. At last Sunday's game Red had the audacity to say:

"Let's face it. I would love to be in Los Angeles," McCombs told Sports Illustrated's Michael Silver. "But I can't just pick up and go to L.A.; that is a league issue. I'm a team player, so I am not going to test the courts and run off in the middle of the night.

"At this point, I don't see relocation as a viable alternative because the league has said 'You've got to make it work [in Minnesota].' The league knows I'd be very happy to be in L.A., but I'd also like to be here with a new stadium."

Way to endear yourself to the fans, Red. And he wonders why he keeps getting boos every time he shows his face at the Metrodome. Plus, Red must think we are all as stupid as him if he thought we would believe his threats that he could both get out of his lease and the Rozelle letter. Man! This gets me fired up! It has already been pointed out that Red most likely considers himself a short term owner and will probably sell the team in lieu of trying for another stadium run. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. After saying what he said yesterday, there is no chance the legislature will even take him seriously anymore if he did try for a stadium again. What an idiot.

• And speaking of stadiums, in my efforts to research stadium friendly legislators I came across this article spoofing an announcement for a new Twins stadium. It is a little vulgar ... well, a lot vulgar, but the real-life stadium situation has gotten so surreal that I had to chuckle at the outlandish claims the article was making. The name of the new stadium is "Mall of America Super Duper MegaField" if that gives you any indication.

Anyway, good feelings today, even with Red McCombs again giving us all reason to hate him even more.

Posted by snackeru at October 28, 2004 1:13 PM | Sports

Shane,

Congrats on the Guide, it looks really good. Have either of the papers shown any willingness to bite on it in light of the article last week about the stadium malaise?

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Grant at October 28, 2004 3:36 PM

I'm already signed up for the season ticket list. I'm not sure of my exact seats yet, but I was told it was somewhere around Elk River. I have been guaranteed seating within Hennepin County by 2015. I haven't been this excited since the USA network had their 24 hour Lawrence Welk-a-thon.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at October 28, 2004 8:15 PM

Grant: Nope, neither of the newspapers have picked this up. Oh well, it is being read by a lot of people anyway. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say thanks to you. Without your comment of a few days ago none of this would have happened. So, thanks for spurring me into action!

Tony: Yes, Glen Taylor would be wonderful as a Vikings owner. Even then, however, your TwinsDomes proposal is a pie-in-the-sky dream at best. Getting Pohald and a new Vikings owner to come together and agree to this will be next to impossible. Good luck though!

Craig: Elk River? I'm way out in Hutchinson.

Posted by: Shane at October 29, 2004 10:05 AM