< No time | Main | Texas and stadiums >

Links of the day

Well, I'm trying to finish up changing the Voter's Guide to show who won. I'll also be using the Guide to track our fine legislators throughout the upcoming legislative session and future sessions. That way when the Twins and Vikings both leave, we'll know who we can focus all our anger on. I guess I'm feeling a little pessimistic. Until I'm done with the new guide, please enjoy these links of the day:

What kills me about this election (besides Kerry losing), is that I am now 0-4 in electing a President. As a college student I voted for Perot (I know, what an idiot!), then I voted for Dole (still finding my way), four years ago I voted for Gore (he did win the popular vote, so I got that going for me), and now I voted for Kerry. At least Minnesota is blue.

Posted by snackeru at November 4, 2004 7:36 AM | Links of the day

I also had a wicked string of voting for the "wrong" guy. First Carter ('80), then Mondale ('84), then Dukakis ('88), then my angry vote for Perot ('92), then Dole ('96). I thought I would be jinxed for life. In 2000 I finally voted for a winner with Bush. The string was broken!

I remember in '80 voting for Carter and thinking how could people vote for that geezer Reagan. Well, in '84 I moved to Washington D.C. No longer under the mind-control of my liberal college professors my eyes were opened and I started to look at both sides of the equation, though it still took some time to go completely over to the "dark side".

I consider myself something of a presidential historian and now consider Reagan as one of the Top 3 presidents of all time.

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 4, 2004 9:04 AM

Snackeru
I hear that many of the 48% of us who voted for Kerry feel that the country should be divided. When I press further I find that the feelings are very strong that they donot want Bush as their president and view his presidency as unconstitutional, the reason being that he used religion to getelected rather than sound fact based decision making. Iobtained a copy of the Decalration of Independence and interestingly enough Bush shares many of the charges that Great Britain's King was faulted by the Colonies and hence their reason for dissolving the colonies connection to Great Britain. There's a lot of talk about creating a democratic nation composed of the states that voted for Kerry. The belief is that the Bush folks base decisons on religious ideals, which seems fanatical and that there isnohope of ever reasoning with these fanatics who now control the white house. What do you make of all of this? To those republicans who used abortion as the social issue to elect Bush, nobody wants abortion you idiots! What if your wife was pregnant with twins and the doctor found that her body couldn't support both of them. It should be up to you. your wife and the doctor to decide how to deal with that. If you were not allowed to decide for taking one of them to save the other, then both die...in that case anti-abortion laws would have essentially condemmed both children to death. The Bush's should be ashamed for the way that they have fooled God fearing people into voting for bush - these are the working class who don't have the time to get educated on the facts, but believe anyone who just mentions he believes in God. Shame on you for using your knowledge to fool innocents.

Posted by: Carmen at November 4, 2004 11:31 AM

Country divided? Pshaw!

George W. Bush is the first president to win more than 50% of the popular vote since 1988. (Bill Clinton failed to twice; Mr. Bush failed to last time and fell short of a plurality by half a million.) The president received more than 59 million votes, breaking Ronald Reagan's old record of 54.5 million. Mr. Bush increased his personal percentages in almost every state in the union. He carried the Catholic vote and won 42% of the Hispanic vote and 24% of the Jewish vote (up from 19% in 2000.)

It will be hard for the mainstream media to continue, in the face of these facts, the mantra that we are a deeply and completely divided country. But they'll try!

Democrats are going to have to do a lot of deep, deep rethinking of who they are and what they stand for, and whether or not they want to become a serious mainstream party again.

Get this. The Democrat Party's candidate for president has won a majority of the popular vote only once in the last ten presidential elections. Do you know who that was? Jimmy Carter. The last ten presidential elections, Jimmy Carter was the last Democrat to win a majority of the popular vote. His majority of less than 51% won because Nixon had taken the Republican Party down in flames in Watergate.

If we can believe it from the exit polls, the ones that stated that the vast majority of people said that moral issues are most important. Now we are hearing the liberals on that. The liberals are panicked. They don't understand this morality business. Most Americans voted on the issue of morality, and Bush got 75% of those votes. Democrats are in a tailspin today. Character does count. Our nation does have a moral center. That which we know as the American spirit cannot be bought by a billionaire or even five billionaires. It cannot be manipulated by October Surprises, it can no longer be controlled by the mainstream media. America is still America. It has not been remade in the eyes of the mainstream media or the American left. Quite the contrary, it's moving away from that.

Two things. We're moving away from liberals while at the same time the liberals are retreating from the country. Liberals don't know it. Liberals don't have the courage yet to admit the reality that they face. Liberals can't admit the reality of a good economy when they see it. They can't admit the reality of a terrorist war that we are in the midst of. They cannot admit the reality of a changing electorate's overall character and moral attitude. All they can do is fight it, all they can do is object to it. Until they're able to admit the simple realities that they face and understand what they mean, their efforts to fix themselves will be useless and futile and they will descend even further.

Here is how I'm reading Liberals today, "We're so divided, and Bush has to do something about--"

Hey, it's just the exact opposite. We are not divided. The people divided in this country are the elites on both coasts and the media, they are the ones divided from the rest of the country. They think they speak for the whole country. It is the media and the left's agenda which is failing, has had the brakes put on since 1980, ladies and gentlemen. It's been a long continuum.

You should be looking at ways to fix your party. Not complaining about the other one.

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 4, 2004 12:45 PM

Shane: How did this right wing nut job get on the blog?? Let's not ruin a wonderful discussion of Minnesota stadiums and sports (issues far more important than politics) by John Ashcroft's best friend!

Curt in Grand Forks (one of those "liberals" Brian Maas seems to hate)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 4, 2004 1:08 PM

Wow! Such a tongue lashing from a member of the party for "love, tolerance, and understanding"!

I offered up a succint analysis and response. I did not use the word "hate" anywhere in my comments. I did not resort to name-calling. I was simply posting another view. Or is the Democratic party that closed-minded now?

Nice post. And thanks for proving my point!

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 4, 2004 1:59 PM

Back to the main reason I read this blog; STADIUMS. I am sure Shane is aware of this and will be addressing it soon, but Arlington, Texas just approved funding to cover half of a retractable dome stadium for the Cowboys. They will do this with an increase in sales, motel, hotel and car rental taxes. Again, the question is why is it so hard for us to do this?
-Jim in St. Paul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at November 4, 2004 2:44 PM

Yes, we are very close minded, and we can't wait to sick Hilary on you in 2008! My main problem with this type of argument coming from conservatives is that there is not one type of "liberal." I would argue that my liberalism (raised in a working class, union family on a farm in central Minnesota) is vastly different from Teddy Kennedy's or John Kerry's New England, intellectual liberalism. Certainly the Democratic party will have some soul searching to do in the next four years. But Bush's 51-49% win in the popular vote is not some sort of epoch changing event that we will be feeling until the next millenium. An important win, yes, but not something as epic as the Fall of Rome.

Curt in Grand Forks

PS- Brian: I read "Mr. Cheer or Die" everyday. Great site!!

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 4, 2004 2:48 PM

Thanks, Jim, for bringing this back around. There is work to do tonight on the Guide and on the Dallas stadium plan.

Shane

Posted by: Shane at November 4, 2004 3:47 PM

Hi all,
Boy, a guy has a day off and the whole blog goes to pot. My one and only note on the presidential election: Bush won 2 of the most closely contested presidential elections in this country's history. Therefore his "mandate" (as many have used, but not here) will always be in question. Whether this is fair or not, this is the case.

I think that the country is divided along party lines, rather deeply. The comments above by both sides show this. Both sides seem only more than willing to "put the other party in it's place". I have seen this at work and on chatrooms that feature people from around the country. Excessively bitter Democrats and "superiority-complex" Rebulicans, virtually everyone on there, it's like those sporting events where the fans and players fight during the game. I voted for Kerry, but I don't hate Bush or Republicans. I just disagree with several aspects of their policies. I wish Bush nothing but the best and hope that everything goes great (what American doesn't?). Do I think this is going to happen? No. But I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, time for this blog to get back to nice civility and sports talk. Let's talk about Saturday's Mondale-like butt-whipping the Gophers are going to receive at the hands of the Badgers...

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 4, 2004 4:49 PM

Fair enough boys. But it made for a fun day. Maybe I'll have to start a second blog and call it the "Right Wing Nut".

I suppose I could have some pent-up anxiety over the upcoming Indy game!?!?

P.S. I'll see your Hillary and raise you a Rudy Giuliani.

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 4, 2004 6:25 PM

Shane, when I pick my favorite candidate in 2008, I'll pursuade you to vote for the other. It's a sure-fire formula!

Posted by: Carl/Qwerty at November 7, 2004 12:27 AM

Hi Guys,
Sorry I started that mess, I happened uponn this site wehn I was searching for a comment by Jim DeMint who is against single moms teaching in schools (I guess he doesn't know that God chose a single female to bear His Son). Anyway, I'm very sorry to have distracted you guys...I was just feeling so bad about the loss on Nov. 2 and needed to communicate with somoeone. As an apology please visit my site for free gourmet grilling and dipping sauce (you'll draw them in at tail gate events), you'll love it! Go to www.mamacarmen.com where you'll find my e-mail and mention this blog and I'll send you some, but only if you voted for Kerry (tee!hee!).
Again, sorry!
Carmen
P.S. I designed the site myself, there's a picture of me in it. Let me know what you think of the site. Many thanks in advance.

Posted by: Carmen at November 12, 2004 2:09 PM