< Goofy | Main | The Era of the Cheesehead has begun! >

The time of the Cheesehead is almost upon us

• Out of the comments section and onto the main page! Either tonight or tomorrow I will be instructing Cheesehead Craig on how to post to this blog. Depending on how the Vikings do on Sunday, you may see some gloating on Monday from Mr. Cheesehead. I'm sorry in advance for that. However, I think the Vikings are going to surprise some Packer fans this weekend. Before the season started I wrote some haikus on how I thought the Vikings would do this year, especially in regards to their games against the Packers. So, since the first game is almost upon us:

No Moss for Vikings
    No problem, Daunte will have
    Pack saying "No mas."

Or how about:

Vikings first in North
    Pack? Overrated at best
    Two game lead assured

Feel free to give it a try yourself in the comments section. Skol Vikings!

• Believe it or not the news about the possible statewide smoking ban also brought out some news about possible stadiums in our fair state. A couple of days ago, Dean Johnson, Senate Majority Leader, and Pawlenty met to talk about the upcoming legislative session. Out of the talks appeared these little nuggest of good news:

Johnson and Pawlenty also discussed potential changes to the state's gaming laws during their Willmar discussions Wednesday.

"I know and have said to the Native American communities that in 2005-2006 gambling in Minnesota is going to change, somehow, someway," Johnson said. He said he suggested American Indian gaming communities could help the state by contributing some of their revenue to a stadium effort or to University of Minnesota medical programs.

...

The two leaders also said lawmakers might try to tackle public funding for sports stadiums next year after they have dealt with other more pressing matters such as the budget, education and the environment.

"I don't rule out and I understood from Sen. Johnson that he doesn't rule out at least being willing, at least later in the session, to consider a Twins stadium or other stadium proposals if we get our other work done and other priorities have been addressed," Pawlenty said.

Johnson said he believes Minnesotans are more willing to have their lawmakers address stadium issues than they had been.

Oh - my - goodness! First of all, I love the idea that Indian casino revenue could be used to fund stadiums. The tribes (well, at least one) have already suggested it. I think I would weep out of happiness if this ever happened. The second part of their comments was a little more blah, blah, blah about "priorities" and "waiting until later in the session if we've got everything else taken care of" but the possibility is definitely there. Of course, I'll be tracking the efforts and comments of our fine legislators as the session progresses.

• Finally, my whole week has been one of joy and harmony thanks to the new U2 album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. What an absolute masterpiece. I'll probably write a more detailed review when the album is ... ahem ... actually released (and be rest assured that I will buy a copy), but for now I've got to say that the stand out songs are "Vertigo" (duh), "City of Blinding Lights," and "Yahweh." Particularly "Yahweh." Musically and lyrically it is as uplifting as they come, and in the same vein as "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "I Still Haven't Found." So, as I prepare to leave for California and unleash the beast that is Cheesehead Craig, I will leave you with the lyrics of this beautiful song:

Take these shoes
Click clacking down some dead end street
Take these shoes
And make them fit
Take this shirt
Polyester white trash made in nowhere
Take this shirt
And make it clean, clean
Take this soul
Stranded in some skin and bones
Take this soul
And make it sing

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I'm waiting for the dawn

Take these hands
Teach them what to carry
Take these hands
Don't make a fist (No)
Take this mouth
So quick to criticize
Take this mouth
Give it a kiss

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I'm waiting for the dawn

Still waiting for the dawn, the sun is coming up
The sun is coming up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, tell me now
Why the dark before the dawn?

Take this city
A city should be shining on a hill
Take this city
If it be your will
What no man can own, no man can take
Take this heart
Take this heart
Take this heart
And make it break

Have a good weekend everyone!

Posted by snackeru at November 12, 2004 12:58 PM | Life

Vikings can't tackle
Green runs wild, lots of yardage
Packers back in front

OR....

Vikings losing streak
continues on, no surprise,
Remember last year?

I just want everyone to know that I will post on the game whether the Pack is victorious or defeated. The former is more likely, but we shall see.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 12, 2004 2:01 PM

You boys should keep your day jobs. And Cheesehead, try not to annoy me (see my latest blog!) :)

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 13, 2004 7:53 AM

Shane-
Does Major League baseball have a problem with gambling revenue being used towards stadium construction? I thought maybe I heard this at one time. Do you know of any stadium funding situations out there that directly or even inderectly used gambling proceeds? Some of my friends keep mentioning Baltimore but I can't pin down the details.
Jim in St. Paul

Posted by: Anonymous at November 15, 2004 5:19 AM