< Interview with Dave St. Peter | Main | I'm back >

Songs for a Desert Island - Part VI

Back by popular demand, it's the Songs for a Desert Island! *people cheering, music playing* My lovely wife had originally thought we could put a twist on it by labelling this "Songs for a Dessert Island" and have people post their favorite songs about desserts, and I immediately thought of "Wierd Al" Yankovic's "I Love Rocky Road" (I think that he is too much for this blog to handle, so I just couldn't bring myself to do an entry on him). This theme of desserts seemed like a good idea, but I just cannot imagine that there are that many songs about desserts out there, but if you can think of some, feel free to comment.

Do you have a song that has a special meaning to you, one that brings back memories of another time or a really strong emotion? I have a couple, one is "Jump Around" by the House of Pain. This song is played between the 3rd and 4th quarters at UW Badger home football games. This song is the catalyst that brings back the whole college experience for me. However, the one that I would have to say is my favorite song of all time is "Black" by Pearl Jam. To say that it is an intensely emotional song about lost love and heartache is an understatement.

Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Were laid spread out before me as her body once did
All five horizons revolved around her soul
As the earth to the sun
Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn
Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore

And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
Of what was everything
Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...

I take a walk outside
I'm surrounded by some kids at play
I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear?
Oh, and twisted thoughts that spin round my head
I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning
How quick the sun can, drop away

And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything
All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...
All the love gone bad turned my world to black
Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll ever be...yeah...
Uh huh...uh huh...ooh...

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun
In somebody else's sky, but why
Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine?

Just reading the lyrics does not do this song justice. Eddie Vedder sings this song with how your heart sounds after a breakup. You have to listen to the song and hear the way he sings it. It is not like the fluffy lovesick songs that Air Supply sings or the smooth sadness of a Tony Bennett ballad. Eddie sings the song with emotion that is beyond agony. He starts the song off mellow and slowly throughout the song, increases the intensity of his emotion. His voice reaches the depths of despair with the last lines "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why, why, why can't it be, can't it be mine?" and hits these lines with such force that at this point, you feel emotionally drained. This is the only song I have ever heard that has done this to me. When I hear this song in the car, I have to stop and listen and sing along. I don't care who sees me from another car, as this song stirs my soul.

There are artists out there that seem to excel at certain aspects of music: Bruce Springsteen can sing about the working man better than anyone, Bono and U2 can bring Christian themes to worldwide pop/rock music without peer, and just one line from a Frank Sinatra song can bring someone to a smoky club where everyone is dressed to the nines. For me, Eddie Vedder can tap into the raw emotion of pain and hurt and allow it come out, without it turning into sheer anger, but rather leaves you feeling a sense of relief when he is done.

Posted by snackeru at November 16, 2004 11:34 PM | Cheesehead Craig

Sugar Pie Honeybunch, you know that I love you...
The Four Tops, actually the song is "Can't Help Myself" but it mentions a dessert. "Bye, Bye American Pie" That's kind of a dessert.

Posted by: Your Wife at November 17, 2004 3:50 PM

I absolutely agree Craig. Eddie Vedder sings with more passion than anyone. I still remember the performace of "Alive" on SNL. Vedder was so insanely "as one" with the song that you couldn't help feel exactly what he was feeling. It was riveting and goes down as one of the best performances I've ever seen.

As far as Black goes, that is a difficult song for me to listen to especially because of the reasons you list. So much pain. But as far as emotional songs go, it is at the top. No doubt about it. I read that Vedder refused to release it as a single because it meant so much to him. It is indeed a very powerful song.

Posted by: Shane at November 18, 2004 12:12 PM

I had to go with a strong song to keep up the the standard that you have set for this category. It was hard writing about this one, but it felt good.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 18, 2004 7:55 PM

dad dont you get typers cramp or somethig like that?

Posted by: Alex Nackerud(your son) at January 29, 2005 8:35 PM

Please help me find a song about cakes, cookies that I can use at my church Family Fun Night. I would like to have this song played during the cake walk. Thanks!

Posted by: Kathy at October 26, 2005 12:51 PM