< Songs for a Desert Island - Part VI | Main | Monterey, California >

I'm back

I have returned from beautiful Monterey, California! A special thanks to Cheesehead Craig for managing this blog in my absence. His interview with Dave St. Peter was an unexpected and welcome surprise. Thanks for everything Craig!

Of course, I now have work coming out of my ears so this will have to be short. I will be writing more about my trip to Monterey tonight so stay tuned for that, if you care. It is a beautiful town and area, and it again made me question the sanity of the early settlers of Minnesota. I can undersand why people decided to check this place out, but why did anyone stay? Mosquitos in the summer, snow and cold for what seems like 12 months of the year, idiot politicians that won't build any stadiums ... the list goes on and on. But Monterey! 70 degrees, no wind, the smell of the sea, not a bug in site ... I fell in love with the place.

Speaking of stadiums (I can't help it! I have to report on this stuff!) it appears that the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe have pulled their offer to help build stadiums. In a letter to Pawlenty they wrote:

"You led a political smear campaign," Benjamin wrote, "in a deliberate attempt to turn undeserved animosity toward Indian gaming and Indian people into votes for Republican candidates."

Who didn't see that coming a mile away? I mean, we had a willing party ready and able to help build stadiums in Minnesota, but instead our fine state politicians once again muck up the deal. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

With that, let me just say I've got to get back to work. There will be more later!

Posted by snackeru at November 18, 2004 9:33 AM | Life | Stadiums

Minnesota is much better than California--snow and all!!

Posted by: mom at November 18, 2004 12:29 PM

Yes, Mom, I know. I'm just kidding! It's too expensive to live in CA anyway. My old house costs $500,000 in Monterey! Yikes!

Posted by: Shane at November 18, 2004 4:06 PM

Shane-
I don't have a very good feeling regarding stadiums and the legislature this session. Your right that our current Gov screwed up by pissing off the tribes. I heard at one point that a certain southern tribe that currently advertises heavily with the Twins was considering contributing some of their proceeds to a Twins ballpark. They were going to let the northern tribes take care of the Vikes. And when I hear the Governor say that he has no problem addressing the stadium issue once the "important" business of the state is taken of, I consider this the kiss of death for new stadiums since when has our elected officials taken care of the business of the state in a timely manner? I think you will be adding Pawlenty soon to your Voter's Guide list as a AGAINST. Sorry to be so pessimestic but after a few Summits tonight reality is settin in.
-Jim in St. Paul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at November 18, 2004 8:05 PM

Whoever named that beer (Summit) was pure genius. For a while, I thought you meant "summit" as in "a meeting of heads of governments." The next time I'm trying to avoid work to drink I'll say I have some "summits" to attend to.

Posted by: Tim at November 18, 2004 10:11 PM

Jim--

When do we ever have more than a fool's hope that something will finally get done? For at least two years I have been telling people that the only way for any stadium to get built in Minnesota is if one of the two teams leave, the Twins or the Vikings. Sadly, I think it will be the Twins. That doesn't stop me from hoping and tracking and complaining and writing, but I am really in the same boat you are. You and I both know the legislature will be in hopeless gridlock when May rolls around and once again we will sit through the summer wondering how many more summers will we be able to enjoy the Twins? So, I don't think you are alone in your pessimism. It seems to be going around.

Shane

Posted by: Shane at November 19, 2004 12:41 PM