< I'm back | Main | I'll take it >

Monterey, California

monbaysail.jpg As many of you already know, I went to Monterey California last Sunday - Wednesday to give an invited presentation about UThink. I've already kind of mentioned it below, but Monterey was amazing. Words cannot express how at peace I felt in this place. Imagine standing at the shore listening to the sea lions barking, smelling the salt water, and without a care in the world. Well, needless to say I had a really good time.

I gave my presentation on Tuesday and from what I have heard it went pretty well. Truth be told it was probably the worst presentation I have ever given. Not because it was bad material or that I presented it poorly, but because I totally misjudged how much material I could present in the time allotted to me. They pretty much had to drag me away from the podium because I just had too much to say. I think I ended my presentation by saying, "I'm out of time, aren't I?" Do'h! Luckily I decided to start with a short introduction and then a demonstration of the system. Really, that was the most important part anyway.

monbike.jpg After the presentation I decided to take a short walk on a local bike path to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I almost didn't make it in due to the $20 admission fee, but I decided to bite the bullet and put aside my cheap ways for the afternoon. And I'm glad I did. I saw some truly amazing fish, a few of which I've highlighted over at Super G. The most spectacular fish I saw, or that anyone sees at the MBA, are the jelly fish. My meager pictures cannot do justice to how neat these creatures are. I think I took 50 pictures of the jelly fish, standing there slack jawed the whole time. I also saw some sharks, and some tuna (Have you actually ever seen a tuna fish? They are huge! And nasty.), and some sting rays. But the jelly fish ... wow ... that made it all worth it.

monshanty.jpgAfter that I made my way down Cannery Row and back onto the bike path for the mile walk back. Cannery Row was very interesting. To the right is a picture of some shacks the city has left up to show the horrible conditions cannery workers lived in. It was a tough and thankless life. I wish I could have spent more time learning about the history of the area. I think I will be picking up Steinbeck's Cannery Row in the near future.

Anyway, that was my trip. It was nice, and I had a good time. See you soon!

Posted by snackeru at November 19, 2004 10:09 PM | Life

Shane,

I'm sure your presentation went much better than you have described it. We're always our worst critics, you know? It's true that you have so much energy and excitement for UThink, and that's part of what makes it so great! Thanks for all you do for bloggers at U of M!

Posted by: Laurene at November 23, 2004 11:07 AM