< Monterey, California | Main | No matter how you slice it >

I'll take it

• This post was shaping up to be a little bit different in the first three quarters of yesterday's Vikings game. Just like many of you, I thought that Mike Tice should be fired. The Vikings showed such a lack of heart, and worse a total lack of discipline, that I thought surely this is the product of poor coaching. These thoughts of Tice's imminent dismissal culminated with the Lions safety in the 3rd quarter. If you would have been watching the game with me, you would have heard some choice words for Tice, the defense, the offense, the entire coaching staff ... heck, I thought even the water boy deserved a tongue lashing. What a heartless bunch of stiffs.

Daunte must have heard all of us because he played an amazing 4th quarter. I know everyone else is saying it so I mine as well too: Daunte is becoming a better QB without Moss around. There is no doubt about it. I don't know who got the coveted game ball, but my vote would go to Daunte.

There are also some bright spots with the defense. Only 51 yards given up in the second half. Johnstone's 3 sacks. The play of Antoine Winfield. Finally benching Chris Hovan. However, the game was won when Mooch took the penalty rather than forcing Tice to make a decision on 4 and 2. Daunte lived up to the MVP talk and the Vikings squeaked by. Here is hoping they can carry this over into next week against Jacksonville. I've already heard that Moss will be back. It will be interesting to see how the Vikings react to all of this, as usual.

• A couple of words about the Artest b-ball fiasco, first about the state of the game and its players. Do any of you know why they call basketball players cagers? Its because in the early days of the game they enclosed the court in chicken wire to keep the ball and the players in bounds. Basketball was known as a vicious game with players pushing each other against the cages and getting into numerous fights. Basketball has a long history of fights. I don't know how many of you remember, but one of the worst fights in college basketball history happened between Minnesota and Ohio State. Our own Dave Winfield slugged a guy five times while he was already on the ground. I guess what I am trying to say is don't tell me that the game or the players are any different than they have always been. Fights happen all the time in the heat of the moment and while this may go down as one of the worst I don't think it is unique or a sign of the times.

The only reason it will go down as one of the worst is because it was taken into the stands. This of course is inexcusable. You have to wonder what was going through Artest's head (and Jackson's) as they wailed on the fans in the stands. Not only are they going to lose most of their salaries, but they are going to get sued out the wazoo. However, just as Artest and Jackson (and O'Neal for that matter) should be blamed for their lack of composure, the fans should also take the blame, if not most of the blame. When has it ever been OK to throw your drink at another person, or verbally assault another person for 48 minutes? I go back to one of Charles Barkley's more salient points of wisdom when he said something to effect, "I think players should be able to pick one fan per game and kick his ass." Amen to that. Who else wouldn't try to defend their honor after the abuse most NBA players take every night? Quite frankly I'm surprised we don't see more of what happened with Artest.

Having said all of this, Artest got what he deserved. He is a thug with an attitude problem, and beyond what happened during this game he needed what my father-in-law calls a little "reality therapy."

• The Packers really tick me off. Another game another last second field goal for the win. That kind of consistent performance will come back to haunt them. As I was saying to Cheesehead Craig last night, I have a new name for the Packers: The Green Bay Wigglers. They wiggle out of every game and I'm getting sick of it.

That's it for now.

Posted by snackeru at November 22, 2004 9:00 AM | Vikings

All I have to say Shane is:

Nyah Nyah! Packers' still in first place!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 22, 2004 10:12 AM

One clear sign that Culpepper is becoming a great quarterback - announcers are beginning to suck up to him to a nauseating degree. My Vikings fan friends have complained to me about how Favre gets this treatment, and now Culpepper is getting it, so he must be doing something right. A 5-yard pass to the flats is called "amazing," a ball thrown low and behind the receiver is "put where only he could get it." So, congratulations, Vikings fans, your quarterback has reached elite status.

Posted by: Tim at November 22, 2004 10:12 AM

Tim, yes, I'll agree to a certain extent, but no one gets the nauseating love like Favre. During yesterday's GB game I almost had to turn off the sound. At one point Theisman ran a replay only to show how Favre's feet moved during a passing play. "Look at his feet! They're moving! Favre is amazing!" Theisman fawned. It made me sick. Of course they are moving you idiot! They're feet!

Posted by: Shane at November 22, 2004 10:42 AM

I was as well nauseated with the announcers. I love Favre, and he is among the best QBs in NFL history, but the ESPN crew last night went over the top, down the other side and on and on for several more miles. The TD pass that Favre threw was awesome, but then the crew said that only he could have completed that, my jaw dropped! Daunte, Payton, McNabb and Bulger have done that pass, in fact, at the halfime show they showed Payton making a similar TD pass. Glad the Pack are not on Sunday nights anymore this year.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 22, 2004 12:30 PM

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli is reporting that Brett Favre will be punting for the Packers this week, the first QB to punt since Randall Cunningham and Tom Tupa. He will also handle long snapping duties, the first time an NFL player has attempted long snapping and punting simultaneously since Bugs Bunny!! John Madden's response when he heard the news "I am sure Brett Favre can handle it, that man can do anything."
Joe Theisman responded:"That's peachy."

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 24, 2004 2:57 PM