< I give up | Main | Links of the day >

Not even a mention?

• OK, I can understand all the hype over Favre's 200th consecutive start. It is impressive. You can't argue with that. However, what I can't understand is that with all the comparisions with other streaks in NFL history, Jim Marshall's streak of 282 consecutive games played is not even mentioned. They mention Cal Ripken's streak, they mention Jerry Rice's streak of consecutive games with a catch, but they don't mention 282 freakin' consecutive games played? To put it another way, Marshall played in every game from 1960-1979. EVERY GAME. And he started in 270 consecutive games from 1961-1979. Furthermore, Marshall wasn't some pansy QB who slides before he gets tackled or gets really hit only two or three times a game. Marshall was a DE that hit and got hit every single play. Where is the respect? Where is the sickening love-fest for Jim Marshall? Why do we have to keep hearing about Brett Favre when his streak is still 70 (70!!!!!) games away from breaking the record?

• Thank goodness for the Gopher men's hockey team. Where would the U of M athletic department be without them? I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again, but the one thing the U of M will never tolerate is a mediocre hockey team. We demand excellence in hockey and we won't have it any other way. Men's basketball? We consider it a moral victory to lose to 18th ranked Alabama by six. That is pathetic. Football? Maturi is practically salivating over a trip to the Music City Bowl. No, the Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl. If it was up to me, any mention of the name "Gaylord" in the Golden Gophers record books is not a reason to celebrate.

So, my hat is off to the Gopher men's hockey team. #1 in the nation and stocked with Minnesotans. If you like hockey, Minnesota is a great place to be. If you prefer basketball or football, though, all you can hope for is a fluke season where either the football team reaches the Sun Bowl or the basketball team wins the NIT. That is truly pathetic.

• My TV is broken. And I didn't have the world's greatest TV to begin with, it was only a 27" regular old TV. So, I took it in to get repaired. I was expecting it to cost maybe $100 to fix. $150 tops. Nope: it will cost as much as $350, possibly more. According to the phone call I received, the circuitry is absolutely fried. And to get this great piece of news they charged me $45. So, now I will be forced to watch my 19" piece of junk TV for who knows how long. With Christmas coming around the corner, I simply cannot afford to get a new TV, even if I tried to get another 27". So, if anyone can tell me how I can get a cheap TV I am all ears. If it is cheap enough I wil buy it right away.

• My wife's birthday is on December 11, and I've already bought her present. She is, of course, trying desperately to get me to tell her what it is. And, of course, I won't tell her. But I have agreed to give her some clues. They will start hard. Very hard. But they'll get easier. The first clue is:

Dan Majerle shares something in common.

Good luck!

Posted by snackeru at November 29, 2004 7:53 PM | Vikings

I just bought a new 27" Orion TV at Wal-Mart for $178. Granted this is a very cheap brand, but if it lasts for five years I'll be happy. It has S- Video, front and back input jacks, a flat screen, and a very good picture. It certainly gets my recommendation. Plus, the Vikes are undefeated with my new TV!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at November 29, 2004 8:52 PM

Shane, you can always come watch the game in high def on my 42 inch plasma..but then, you'd probably don't want to hear about that just now. Maybe next year when I finish my home theater room and you can watch the game via a Epson HD 500 Projector shining a lovely crisp image onto a 80" retractable screen?

Posted by: Brian Maas at November 29, 2004 9:55 PM

Shane,

If price is the issue I'd check here first:

http://twincitiesfreemarket.org/

I'm not saying there will be a TV available...and if there is there's no guarentee it will work. But the price is right if you're into FREE.

jx2

Posted by: jx2 at November 29, 2004 10:30 PM

Curt, that does sound like a good deal. I may have to check that out at Walmart. And Brian, you are right, I don't want to hear about that! Man, it sounds like you've got a sweet system. I'd love to have a plasma TV, but I probably can't even afford the pocket TV variety. And Jx2, I like that site you listed! It didn't have any TVs I'd like to use, but it had a ton of other cool stuff. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Posted by: Shane at November 30, 2004 9:00 AM

One thing to note, of the top 5 consecutive games started streak, 3 are Vikings. All from the 60's and 70's teams I believe. Phenominal. A true testiment to how good the Purple was back in the day.

You can also try this site Shane.
http://www.incentiverewardcenter.com/xg_reg.htm?SID=ae9239bb476ef49cff3fa2a0c8866acb&landing_page=1&show=zip&=&p=92293&c=5347-sony32tv_740_emc_d7f4&catalog_id=84&a=

You can get a free 32" TV, if you participate in their offer. There's no catch, at least they say so, not that I would doubt an advertiser at all.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at November 30, 2004 1:47 PM

Actually, King Kaufman of Salon.com gives Marshall his due and then some in the process of pointing out that the whole 'Favre or Ripken' thing is a trick question. (One thing Kaufman doesn't ask - is ignoring Marshall a racial thing? After all, you can't call Favre-worship any evidence of East Coast or big-market bias, so it's not about us being in fly-over land.) Kaufman also points out that nobody, at least not off the top of his head, can name the all-time leader in consecutive games played at catcher in MLB, despite catcher being a much more grueling position, and thus a more significant record.

As an aside, it looks like the wheels are still turning on the DC stadium deal. It's far from perfect, but I can't say it's an all-out abdication to MLB just yet...

--
David Wintheiser

Posted by: David Wintheiser at November 30, 2004 9:18 PM