< Clue #5 | Main | Clue meanings >

Ugly

• Oh boy was I in a foul mood yesterday. The Vikings were outplayed, outcoached, outhustled, etc. etc. Once again I wanted Mike Tice's head on a platter. But as I thought about it more it became clear that this was just another case of our defense playing poorly and the Chicago defense playing really well. Chicago's defense got to Daunte, they had good downfield protection, and they completely neutralized Randy Moss. I think Tillman really got into his head. The Vikings losing Antoine Winfield didn't help either. I hope he is a fast healer. So, I was still really ticked but really, as Vikings fans we've seen it all before.

Then I watched the Packer/Eagles game. Yikes! That was a "behind the woodshed" type beating. That was a demoralizing, "why do we even try" type beating. For most of the first half I had a big smile on my face watching the Pack get waxed, and then it dawned on me. The Eagles are completely in a class by themselves this year in the NFC. The NFC is their's to lose and it doesn't look like they will lose it anytime soon. If the Pack can't even make a decent game out of it what chance do other teams, especially the Vikings, really have against the Eagles? Not much of a chance at all I would wager. So, unless the Vikings rip off a four game win streak, I will not let my hopes get up too high. Beat the Pack December 24. That will make the season all worth while for me.

Cheesehead, what were you thinking during that thrashing? Could you even watch the whole game?

• My wife figure out what she is getting for her birthday, so I will post the rest of the clues and their meanings sometime today. See you soon!

Posted by snackeru at December 6, 2004 8:34 AM | Vikings

That was the worst loss I have ever seen in my history watching the Packers. The game was not even as close as the score indicated, and it was 47-17. I plan on billing the Packers for 3 1/2 hours for wasting my time.

I agree on the Eagles, this is their Conference to lose. Prior to this past Sunday's games, I heard a lot of talk from Viking fans that they will crush the Eagles the next time they meet. I see absolutely no way either team (Vikes or Pack)comes within 20 points of Philly in the playoffs. Not with the way the Eagles played on Sunday.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 6, 2004 2:02 PM

It just seems to me that Tice and Company get out-coached far more than they do the out-coaching. Are the problems on defense simply related to personnel, or is Cottrell not the defensive genius we have been lead to believe? The fact that the team had four turnovers did not help, and neither did Smith's groin problem. That being said, it just seems like the Vikes are always overmatched, especially at the beginning of games. I agree that Philly looks great, but you never know what will happen come the playoffs. They seem to be incapable of winning the big game; similar to how the Vikes just can't win in Chicago!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at December 6, 2004 3:44 PM

Curt, Philly is so much better on offense this year compared to the last 3 years. There's just no comparison. Plus, the defense is also there, and just as good as before. As you said, anything can happen in the playoffs, but that only applies to the rest of the conference playoff games. Sure, some 8-8 team that got the 6 seed could knock off Atlanta, but there is NOBODY that is going to stop the Eagles from winning the NFC playoffs and going to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 6, 2004 6:07 PM

Will the Viks EVER finish the season on a winning streak? It was a tough game to watch--and only a small consolation that the Packers lost too.

Your clues were really clever. What a great gift, Shane!

Posted by: Summer in Portland at December 6, 2004 9:45 PM