< Weekend notes | Main | It ain't over till it's over >

Accident

Well, I alluded to this below, but I got into a little car accident this weekend. This would be only my second accident since I got my license 15 years ago. So, my amazing driving record is now tarnished with what could possibly be considered one of my more careless moments. Let me explain.

As many of you know my TV broke about a month ago, and I've been desperately trying to find ways to find the cash to buy a new one (and pay for all the Christmas presents we need to buy, too). Anyway, after trimming the tree this last Saturday my wife had a brilliant idea. About 5 years ago at an apartment complex in St. Paul we were living in at the time, my wife found a diamond ring. Not a big diamond ring, or an expensive one, mind you, but a diamond ring nonetheless. We put a sign up near the mailboxes to advertise the fact that we had found it, but no one came forward to claim the ring. So we have kept it all this time wondering what to do with it.

So, this Saturday my wife told me to take the ring and sell it to a pawn shop. I thought this was a great idea and I was immediately overcome with song: "Pawn America is right for you, Pawn America!!" You know the jingle. Selling the ring would give us some much needed extra cash and allow me to visit a place I had never visited before, a pawn shop. So, I hopped in the car and off I went to make our fortune.

Little did I know that the ring was cursed. It did not want to be sold. It wanted to stay with me. Pawn America is located on Blake Road off of Highway 7. As I a was taking a right onto Blake Road I had to stop for a long line of cars and wait for them to start moving. They started moving, I stepped on the gas, and then I noticed a large man walking on the sidewalk wearing a very frilly hat and bright orange boots that went up to his knees. I thought to myself, "What an odd outfit. What on Earth would posess someone to wear ... " KABOOM!!!! I nailed the car ahead of me at a blistering 5 miles an hour. I looked down, and I swear the ring sparkled at me!!

I threw my hands up in disgust. Why is this happening to me? We pulled into the Walgreens parking lot, we both got out and I said, "Merry Christmas!" Luckily the driver laughed. We exchanged insurance information and I apologized profusely. While the damage on my car was relatively limited, I nearly ripped the bumper off of the other car. Man! I was angry. If you'll recall I was trying to actually make some money off of this trip. Now I was out almost $300 at least which coincidentally is the price of the new TV I want. Is someone trying to tell me something?

I knew it had to be the ring's fault. Ha! I decided I would still sell the ring and be rid of its curse! So, I drove my damaged vehicle to Pawn America to finish what I started. Maybe the ring would be worth $300! Maybe it would be worth more! I gave the ring to the clerk and waited patiently for his decision. He weighed it. He inspected the diamond. And he said to me, "I'll give you $35."

I took the money, happy to finally be rid of the ring, and I vowed to drive more carefully from now on.

Posted by snackeru at December 13, 2004 9:23 PM | Life