< Accident | Main | Oh please, oh please, oh please ... >

It ain't over till it's over

• I just read this little tidbit on Mr. Cheer or Die's Viking Underground and I gotta say that I am shocked. The Vikings still have a chance to win the division. If the Vikings win all of their remaining games, they will win the division, even if the Packers lose to the Vikings and win two more. That is remarkable. The Vikings can play horrible all season, have the same record as the Packers, and still take the division.

I truthfully don't know how I feel about this. After the Seattle game I was practically begging the Packers to beat the Lions just to put me out of my misery. After they won I thought, "Well, I don't have to worry about the Vikings any more. If they beat the Packers on Christmas Eve I will be satisfied." Now I find out the Vikes are still in the running! OK ... you know what, I may be a glutton for punishment but I think I am actually happy about this!

So here is what we know:

The Vikings can win these last three games. So, I cannot give up hope until its all over. I'm a Vikings fan. I'm used to this.

• Well, it is over for the Twins and Corey Koskie. Again, this doesn't upset me too much. That is what we get for being Twins fans. The Twins are like a college team. About every four years the team completely changes and we find ourselves with a new set of players to cheer for. Koskie had a good year last year, not great but good. He will certainly be missed, but it is time to give someone else a shot. Is anyone else really upset that Koskie is leaving? I mean he was injured a lot, he is getting old, and the Twins have at least two players that can fill in. I like Aaron Gleeman's take on the situation. One of the biggest negatives to Koskie leaving is that it opens a door for Rivas to still play second. Yikes! For me, though, again being a Twins fan I'm kind of used to this.

• One thing that never seems to be "over" is my favorite subject, stadiums in Minnesota. In case you missed it, Sid Hartman reported this Sunday:

Behind the scenes, the Twins are working with Hennepin County and St. Paul in order to come up with a reasonable plan in which each group could present a plan to the Legislature for a baseball stadium. Then a vote would be taken and a committee would decide whether the ballpark is in Minneapolis or in St. Paul. Sam Grabowski, executive director of the Minneapolis Downtown Council, calls the ballpark a top priority, as do officials of the Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce and the St. Paul Chamber of Commerce.

See where it says officials from both Minneapolis and St. Paul consider a baseball stadium a "top priority?" Here is what I don't understand: why are Minneapolis and St. Paul so desperate for a stadium if, as we are led to believe, stadiums have such a negligible economic impact on a community? Why? I don't think I've ever heard of a city ever say, "You know what? We don't want a new stadium. There is nothing in it for us." No, over and over again in cities all over America city officials practically beg for professional sports stadiums to be built. If the Minnesota legislature would allow it, the St. Paul city government would tax the wazoo out its people to build a stadium.

I ask these kinds of questions sort of facetiously since I think I know the answer, but still it makes me wonder why cities are always so gung ho about stadium construction and state legislatures are so typically against it?

Posted by snackeru at December 14, 2004 1:01 PM | Stadiums | Twins | Vikings

Shane,
First off the Packers and Vikings cannot win out, they play each other. Here's what needs to happen for each team:

Vikings win out (beat the Packers on the 24th), they win the division via tie-breaker should the Pack win their other 2 games.

If the Packers lose to Jax and Chi, but beat the Vikes, the Packers win the division by head-to-head tiebreaker. Even if MN beats Det and Wash, they have the same record and the Pack would have swept MN.

Vikings lose this weekend, Pack win, Vikes have to beat GB and Wash and the Pack have to lose to Chi for Vikes to win division via tiebreaker.

Vikes win, Pack lose this weekend, then the head to head game is for all the marbles as the winner gets the division.

Clear as mud? Good. Pretty much guaranteed that whoever wins on Christmas Eve wins the division.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 14, 2004 4:24 PM

Thanks Craig. That's actually what I meant, but obviously I typed it out rather stupidly. I agree that the winner of the Viking-Packer game on the 24th will win the division, but only if the Vikings beat the Lions this Sunday. I won't get too pumped up about it until then.

Posted by: Shane at December 14, 2004 5:19 PM

Actually, if the Vikings win while the moon is full and Jupiter in ascension, while the Packers win while the last leaf on Mrs. O'Leary's elm tree stays put...then the teams tie. In that case they have to combine rosters and play the Eagles and still get their combined butts kicked.

Posted by: Brian Maas at December 14, 2004 5:45 PM