< It ain't over till it's over | Main | Sviggum's prediction >

Oh please, oh please, oh please ...

Just wanted to let you know that I have seen this, and this, and I gotta say ... yep, I am very happy about this development. I was going to say, "I've heard it all before" but like a moth to a flame I have chosen to get really excited about this news. Let's dissect what Sviggum has said before the Strib and the PiPress take these AP stories down:

"A stadium bill is going to pass this legislative session,'' House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, said at a forum sponsored by The Associated Press. "The time has come, folks, to make a decision.''

The Strib has chosen this quote, and of course they don't say just what stadium Sviggum is talking about. He could be talking about a Gophers stadium (likely), he could be talking about a Twins stadium (probably), but we definitely know he is not talking about the Vikings (Red, sell the team you cheap bastard!).

To balance all this out, Dean Johnson, Senate majority leader, added these little nuggets just so my heart wouldn't explode with happiness. So, I thank him for that:

A football stadium on the University of Minnesota campus has the best chances, Johnson said, adding that the Legislature shouldn't get involved in choosing sites for sports stadiums ... "It's clear the Gophers stadium on campus has the most appeal right now,'' Johnson said. "I would not begin to predict whether a Twins or Vikings stadium will pass the Senate.''

In the past Johnson has consistently said a Twins stadium bill would have no trouble passing the Senate. Maybe Johnson has soured on the idea of a Twins stadium. I'm not sure, but I am still of the opinion that a Twins bill will squeak through the DFL Senate, unless they start playing partisan politics with the Republican Governor and Speaker. We'll see.

The PiPress had a slightly different take on this press conference. According to them, Sviggum was much more forceful and confident that a bill would pass for the Gophers and Twins:

The second-most powerful state official in Minnesota predicted Tuesday the 2005 Legislature will approve funding to construct new stadiums for the University of Minnesota football team and the Minnesota Twins.

"It's going to pass this session," House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, told reporters during the Associated Press' annual legislative session preview at the Capitol. It was the first time he made such a prediction.

I hope that this is finally going to happen. I hope Sviggum strong arms some new Reps and uses his muscle to finally solve this problem once and for all. I like the conviction I am sensing in his quotes and gosh darn it if it doesn't give me too much hope for my own good. Sviggum also added:
"It's going to happen after we do everything else," he said. But he's confident lawmakers will vote to build two stadiums. "The time has come to make a decision," he said.

Amen to that. More tomorrow when the quotes come in from Maturi and Jerry Bell. Stadium season is almost in full swing!

Posted by snackeru at December 14, 2004 7:22 PM | Stadiums