< Burgerflickle | Main | The torture continues... >

Miss me?

What follows is just a flat out brain dump with little or no value. You have been warned.

Blogging is hard. Maybe not hard for some people, but it is certainly hard for me, or at least it is becoming harder. You see, I'm the type of guy that can't just write something. I have to fret over it. I have to proof read it. I have to analyze what I have written and make sure it is up to par. In college it would take me forever to write even the most simple 2 page reaction paper. I would write maybe a sentence, a couple of sentences perhaps, and then get up and slack off before coming back to my paper an hour later to write a couple more sentences. Then I would get up again. It was a painful process.

You really can't do that with blogging. Well, I guess you can, but you won't have any time for anything else, especially if you write something every day like I try to do. I'm finding that out. I'm finding that writing this stuff takes a lot of time, and when I don't take the time I'm finding that I'm not happy with what I have written. So, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Either I can take the time and spend an hour (or two) writing everyday something that I can be proud of, or I can take it easy and write something every once and a while when I really have something to say. I honestly don't know what I'm going to end up doing.

Blogging has taught me a lot about myself. Some of the things I have written I have been very proud of, and not necessarily because I really nailed a topic, but because I wrote something well. Maybe I wrote with feeling, passion, humor, maybe a touch of arrogance, but most of all what I wrote was coherent and well constructed (at least to me). Like this. And this. Or this. Or this. Or this. Or this.

And when I look back on the things I have written that I am most happy with, they almost never have to do with sports or stadiums. As many of you know, I am passionate about stadiums. However, I am finding that maybe I should change my focus a little bit. Does that mean I am going to stop writing about stadiums? No, I don't think that is even possible. I do think it means, though, that I am going to write less about sports in general. Seriously, I'm not very good at writing about sports anyway. I look back sometimes on what I have written about the Twins and Vikings and I think blah, blah, blah. What am I really adding to the discussion? I would argue not much.

So, I'm going to try something new. I'm going to try writing more about my life, my place of work, my family, stuff that is happening around me. Will I still write about sports? Sure. It is kind of hard to separate sports from my life, but I'm going to try to write about sports only when I've got something to say. Something to add to the discussion. This may mean that sometimes I don't write a post for a day or two, but in the end I think it will hopefully mean what I do end up writing will be of a little higher value to me. And that will make me happy.

Posted by snackeru at December 30, 2004 11:03 AM | Life

I look forward to reading posts with your new focus. I particularly like your past entry about the library and UThink. And you know how I feel about kids 'n' poop...

Posted by: Yvette at December 30, 2004 12:52 PM

Glad to have you back! I am always willing to pitch in with an article, from a Cheesehead point of view. I personally liked the "and this" article as it is related to what happened on Christmas Eve. But I'll leave that one for you to explain to the loyal readership. Bwahh ahh ahh!!!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at December 30, 2004 4:00 PM

I know what you mean. I'd certainly like to spend more time on my blog, but I find myself writing something very quickly, and unlike you, I don't proofread it. So, I end up with improperly fleshed out thoughts, grammatical errors, and typographical errors. But, the price is right!

Happy New Year. SBG.

Posted by: Stick and Ball Guy at December 31, 2004 1:54 PM

Glad to see you're back! I'm looking forward to your new focus (not that I mind the sports writing). In fact, your writing has persuaded me to see the stadium issue from a different perspective. Keep writing!

Posted by: Summer in Portland at January 2, 2005 12:21 AM