< Miss me? | Main | Argh! Two things ... >

The torture continues...

OK. I knew I said I wouldn't write about sports that much anymore, but I just can't believe what is happening. Not only do the Vikings make the playoffs in the pansiest way possible, they also have to play the Packers! Again! Its like a never-ending fraternity initiation with the Vikings bent over asking the Packers "Please sir may I have another?" I knew the Vikings would make the playoffs, and I also have no hope for them getting out of the first round. But having to play the Packers, knowing that it will be the Packers who will embarass and crush them in their futile attempt to get a playoff win, is the ultimate knife-twist in the already twitching body that is the Vikings pathetic 2004 football season.

Man this has me steamed. For years Packer fans have tormented me with their playoff "superiority" and "winning tradition." Bah! I can already sum up what I'll be forced to hear for the next week: "Favre Favre Favre, Lambeau Lambeau Lambeau, below freezing, below freezing, below freezing, mystique, mystique, mystique, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!" All you Packer fans can shove it up where the sun don't shine and then stick it two doors to the left ...

I've dealt with this for far too long. I grew up as a Viking fan in Wisconsin, right across the border in River Falls. When I was a boy of 8 one of my good friends, Jason Simpson to be exact (and a Packer fan to boot) had the audacity to ask me, "How are the Viqueens doing this year?" I rolled up my fist in my Vikings mitten and socked him right in the nose. Ha! That's how we're doing (insert KG's favorite saying here)!!! And if you don't want another you better start showing me some respect!

Three times in one year ... THREE TIMES IN ONE YEAR!!!! Do recall the movie Remember the Titans? Do you remember when Coach Yost, after learning the refs weren't calling a fair game, told his defense to blitz and terrify the opposing offense saying, "You make sure they remember, FOREVER, the night they played the Titans!" That is how I want the Vikings to play. All out, no holds barred, nasty, dirty, chop blocking, clothes line flying, trash talking, body sacrificing football. Late hits out of bounds? I'll take a dozen. Encroachment with a QB takedown? Give me a few of those too. I want this team to play with attitude!! Conviction!! PRIDE!!!

For the love of Bud Grant please play with some PRIDE! And Tice, if there is only 2:30 left in the 4th quarter, and it is 4th and 5 on the Packers 45 yard line, and the game is tied, GO FOR IT! Show some backbone and cram it down the Packers' throats. Unleash Daunte and let him stiff arm his way to victory! This is it. This is the season. Please show me that I haven't wasted 30 plus years cheering for what Bill Maas today called the "most southern team in the North." Please. Please. Man I feel sick.

Posted by snackeru at January 2, 2005 8:15 PM | Vikings

Shane-
You coming over for the game next Sunday? Figured I'd host you since the the game's at Lambeau. You know you won't hear any of those terms you hate from my mouth. I am looking forward to the game very much.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 2, 2005 11:11 PM

Personally, I'm worried, because it's hard to beat any team 3 times in a row, at least according to conventional wisdom. And did you see the front page of the Green Bay Press-Gazette? (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/) "It seemed as if most Packers fans were rooting on Sunday for anyone but the Minnesota Vikings to be Green Bay's first postseason opponent." We realize that unless Reggie White comes back to life and re-signs with the Pack or is able to interfere from the afterlife, your offense will have no problem putting up 25-30 against us.

Posted by: Tim at January 3, 2005 12:10 PM

Thanks for the comment, Tim. This team is in such disarray, I really think Packer fans have nothing to worry about.

Posted by: Shane at January 4, 2005 8:41 AM