< Links of the day | Main | Stuff >

Tradition

• Today will be an all Vikings post. Unless you are living under a rock you have heard all about Randy Moss and his early departure from last Sunday's game. I won't pontificate about this too much since I think it is obvious what a selfish and despicable act this was. In fact, I'd like to point you over to Mr. Cheer or Die's Viking Underground for his take on Moss:

What Moss did Sunday by leaving the field before time expired was uncalled for. It sent the wrong message to his coaches, teammates and fans alike. It made this life-long Vikings fan reach for the nearest antacid bottle and empty it.

I'm at the point where antacids just won't do it for me when it comes to Moss. I say Tice should bench him for the Packers game and then we should trade him. I say his last act as a Viking should be walking off the field like a selfish coward. I'm so sick of his theatrics and his "at least I'm getting paid" attitude. It is a slap in the face to me, a lifelong Vikings fan and season ticket holder, and the Vikings greats of the past who played with pride and respect for the game. Sit down Moss. Your "leadership" skills are no longer necessary.

• And just when you thought Vikings tradition couldn't take any more hits, check out this comment from ESPN's Page 2:

How sad is it that the Minnesota Vikings, once clad in purple parkas, once producing the sort of winterized condensed breath that meant death for a visiting team in the playoffs, are now the softest team in the league? Eighteen of the last 20 games outdoors -- a Minnesota loss? Now, Randy Moss walks off the turf with two ticks left in Washington. Presumably, it was too cold for the Indoor Warrior. Somewhere, Bud Grant feels a pain in his chestal area -- and it's not frostbite.

The sad thing is he is absolutely right. The Metrodome is every bit of a dump as a football stadium as it is a baseball stadium. Where is our pride as Minnesotans? Why do we put up with this? We have seriously turned into a bunch of pansies who have all turned a blind eye to our heritage and tradition as a NORTHERN team. Our team, our tradition, our stadium, our ownership ... it is all in shambles. Our collective manhood is being questioned. If a new Vikings stadium is ever built I say it should be an outdoor stadium so we can attempt to regain what was lost when the Vikings moved out of the Met.

• And yet, there is hope. Every time I look at the StarTrib website or the Pioneer Press I pray that I see Red McCombs has sold the team. Now, it seems we are extremely close to that inevitability:

Rumors were hot Monday at the Vikings' Eden Prairie offices that Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor is closing in on a purchase of the Vikings from Red McCombs.

For the love of all that is holy, please let this be true. Stay tuned for my list of immediate changes Taylor should make if he buys the Vikings. Feel free to get started in the comments below.

• Lastly, I'd like to send a shout out to Stick and Ball Guy who has highlighted my meager ramblings in his most recent post. Thanks Stick and Ball Guy!

Posted by snackeru at January 4, 2005 12:50 PM | Vikings

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Stick and Ball Guy at January 4, 2005 2:07 PM

Yes, people here in Iceland are disturbed with Randy Moss, too.

Posted by: Anonymous at January 4, 2005 3:30 PM

It is sad how far the Vikes have fallen from the Purple People Eaters days.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 4, 2005 4:30 PM

Red casts a pall upon the entire Viking organization. Until he is gone, we can not expect the Vikes to be any better than they already are. It is terribly sad to see the team turn into a bunch of pansies outside; the only solution to this problem is an outdoor stadium, which will never happen until Glen Taylor takes over. I certainly hope it is sooner than later.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 5, 2005 8:45 AM