< 10 years is enough | Main | Books read since August 24, 2004 >

More from the mind of snackeru

• Greetings and salutations Greet Machine readers! I trust you are having a good day. Me? I'm feeling pretty good. I don't know if you know this about me, but I have a second job as a professor at the College of St. Kate's. I know, hard to believe isn't it? Professor "Stadium Freak." I teach a class called LIS 753 - Internet Fundamentals and Design at St. Kate's every Winter semester. Last night was my first class of the new year and it went pretty well. So, I feel good about that. And, believe it or not, I even found time in my first lecture to try to convince my students about the benefits of building a new Twins stadium. I know, I'm sick, but how could I not? I had 11 students sitting there listening to every word I said. Last night I gave a lecture on the history of the Internet and during part of that I talked about Usenet. A couple of years ago I used Usenet to document what I think is one of my better ideas, naming the new Twins stadium "Marshall Field." I brought this up to the class and showed them this post as an example of some of the content that can be found on Usenet. So, I was able to talk about the Twins stadium and Usenet to my class all at the same time! Simple pleasures, people, simple pleasures.

• I think Curt in Grand Forks and I have similar feelings about this whole Moss mooning business, and it really has nothing to do with Moss's actions in particular, but other people's reactions to it. For example, in a comment below Curt points out:

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is what Peter King said about the fake moon:

"Simulation-mooning Lambeau is like mooning the Mormon Tabernacle Choir."

Somehow Lambeau Field has been turned into a national institution/religous shrine, and Packer fans have been turned into God's chosen people. Pathetic!!

Amen to that. Absolutely pathetic, like Lambeau is a house of worship or something. It actually makes me sick. Chris Berman was the worst though. He practically genuflects every time he mentions Favre and Lambeau. After Sunday's game against the Packers he had this to say about Moss's mooning, "Randy disgraced Lambeau Field with this and he disgraced himself." Randy disgraced Lambeau Field? Is Lambeau Field holy ground or something? Do we have to remove our shoes when we enter? So, when Packer fans moon the opposing team's bus when it leaves, is that also "disgracing" Lambeau Field?

Wow. It is just football, Chris. If Randy had mooned someone at St. Peter's in Rome, that would be a disgrace. At Lambeau Field it is just entertainment. Time to put things into context buddy.

• That's all I got time for right now. More later.

Posted by snackeru at January 12, 2005 8:56 AM | Life

One's god is what one chooses to worship. I fear there are many who really do worship Lambeau, or Farve, or football, or golf, or crack, or Moss's crack...

Posted by: Cheesehead's Wife at January 12, 2005 10:47 AM

Look at my entry for today where I talk about how the Cheeseheads treat sacred Lambutt Field. Yeah, sacred my ass.

As for Moss, this actual exchange alone cements Moss' relationship for now and the future with Vikings fans:

Reporter: "Randy, would you take a question?''
Moss: "Everybody but Green Bay, homey. If you're from Green Bay, the hell with you.''
Reporter: "What about Milwaukee?''
Moss: "Nope. You're part of Wisconsin, homey.''

The story is at:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/don_banks/01/09/moss.reax/index.html

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 12, 2005 10:51 AM

And they complain about liberal educators indoctrinating their students...

*grin*

Posted by: David Wintheiser at January 12, 2005 11:07 AM

Hilarious David. Glad you can laugh along with me.

You know, as I read over my post again I am struck by the fact that at the top I am practically abusing my position as an instructor by trying to "indoctrinate" my class regarding stadiums, and then at the bottom I am criticizing Chris Berman for not keeping football in context.

As Mr. Cheer or Die says, "Pot? Meet Kettle." Oh well, that's life I guess.

Posted by: Shane at January 12, 2005 11:17 AM

Shane,

I'm a former student...and from a student's perspective you can say anything you want about stadiums as long as there's not a test question, website, or paper about them. In fact, I highly recommend your class to my peers so your brainwashing isn't too intense.

Jx2

Posted by: Jx2 at January 12, 2005 8:51 PM

Jx2, wow, I was actually touched by your comment. I'm glad you liked the class. Good luck with your future in libraries and let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks so much for your comment. It made my day.

Posted by: Shane at January 13, 2005 9:27 AM