< Quick Shots | Main | I know, I know!!! >

Happy birthday ... to me!

Just a quick note that today is my birthday (note the "countdown" below is now empty!), and the U, in their infinite wisdom, decided to give everyone the day off in honor of it! Well, actually, Martin Luther King, Jr. had something to do with our day off, but that is OK. Here are my thoughts and feelings today:

• I had a great weekend in Boston. The ALA advertised my presentation in their daily conference newsletter so the room was packed. Standing room only and at least 200 people. Of course, some of the people were probably there to hear my co-presenters, namely Mike Keller from Stanford, but I was relieved that no one got up to leave when I started speaking.

• I rode the subway while I was in Boston and I was very impressed with how efficient it was. However, I did have an interesting "Bostonian" experience. On Sunday I got to the "T" station at 5:30 in the morning to get to the airport for my 7:30 flight, only to find out that the "T" doesn't start running until 6 AM on Sunday mornings. Of course, they didn't have any hours posted or anything, so I was a little confused. I was especially confused when almost everyone that came to the station jumped the token gate without paying. I thought to myself, "Is this what Bostonians do Sunday mornings when someone is late in opening the gates?" So, after seeing some more people do it, I decided to jump the gate too. I jumped it, walked down the stairs to the rails, and found everyone that had jumped it still down there waiting for the train. Then a scary thing happened, a "T" worker walked down the stairs to survey the situation. I was afraid that he would know that none of us had paid, which would be pretty easy to figure out since no one was selling tokens. Luckily he just sauntered past us all. An elderly African American woman then approached me and said, "Bet you thought he was going to bust you!" and I replied, "Actually, yes, I was a little worried." She said, "Here is what you do when you are in Boston. You say, 'It wasn't me!'" I thought that was a little strange so I said, "How about I just pay him the money?" and she replied, "He'll think it is a bribe and he'll just take the money and ask for more!" I answered, "OK, I'll just follow your lead then." She said, "That's right, repeat after me: It wasn't me!" So, I did and we had a good laugh.

So, anyway, the people in Boston were great and I really enjoyed riding the "T." I highly recommend it.

• January 17th is not the best time to have a birthday. Not only is it a little close to Christmas, but almost every year the Vikings do something to screw it up. Just take a look at these great birthday's from my past:

Before then my memory gets a little fuzzy since I was just a little tyke. Anyway, although I am a little upset the Vikings lost yesterday, I am still thrilled they beat the Packers. That should sustain me until traning camp opens.

• Finally, here is what I'll be doing on my birthday:

• See all of you later!

Posted by snackeru at January 17, 2005 10:47 AM | Life

Happy Birthday!

I'm from Boston, so I enjoyed your Tales of the T. Glad your presentation was a success!

Posted by: Sno Cones at January 17, 2005 11:06 AM

Happy Birthday buddy! I would just like to point out that Shane picked the day to settle up on his losing yet another bet to me.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 17, 2005 11:07 AM

You say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too--yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

It really is my birthday, too, Shane! SBG is 40 years old today!

Posted by: Stick and Ball Guy at January 17, 2005 11:11 AM

Happy birthday to you!

I lived in Boston for 8 years--yeah, the T is pretty fun. (Did you see any of the rats crossing the tracks? They're as big as kitty cats!)

Sorry about the Vikings. My husband was pretty down yesterday: both the Vikes and the Colts lost (we're from Indianapolis)...

Posted by: Yvette at January 17, 2005 12:18 PM

Happy Birthday, the world is a better place because you are in it. Can we watch Troy with you?

Posted by: Cheesehead's Wife at January 17, 2005 12:59 PM

Happy Birthday!

Congrats on your presentation at ALA! I'm glad so many people were there! Impressive!

Bummer about the Vikings (and the Colts, I add). Better luck next year.

Posted by: Winter in the Cities at January 17, 2005 2:34 PM

Dude: Happy Birthday! While I am sure that you will enjoy Fuddrucker's, I know that what you would really want as Giovanni's Late Night Campus Special. Ahh, the memories.... Happy Birthday!!

Curt in Grand Forks

PS--How long until spring training? Or the NFL draft??

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 17, 2005 3:43 PM