< Odds and ends | Main | Good news, bad news >

Fowler in town

KSTP just reported some interesting news about Reggie Fowler, who attended tonight's T-Wolves game as the personal guest of Denny Hecker. According to Joe Schmit, who interviewed Fowler on camera, Fowler and Red have signed an "exclusivity agreement" which means that McCombs can only negotiate with Fowler at this point, and for a period of 60 days. Fowler brushed aside reports that he didn't have the financial means to buy the Vikings saying "people can say what they want" and that he wouldn't be here if he didn't have the money. Cheesehead Craig also called to tell me that KMSP reported that Fowler needs to have $180 million of his own money to make the purchase, and that $180 million is Fowler's "magic number" to adhere to NFL ownership rules.

Fowler also made it clear that he would move to Minnesota if he bought the team and that while he is here he will be shopping for a home on Lake Minnetonka. Joe Schmit also reported that Fowler may need "7-10 days" before he can make a bid.

Holy cow. I think this is for real. God bless you Reggie! And good luck with the negotiations. Anybody else got any rumors?

Posted by snackeru at January 24, 2005 10:29 PM | Vikings

I try hard not to pray to God about the Vikings, figuring that the Almighty has other things to worry about. I will make an exception in this case, in the hopes that we can rid ourselves of a Texas sized cancer.

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at January 25, 2005 8:28 AM

Does anyone know why Reggie would buy a house in Minnesota. Is it so he will get a new stadium? Does he plan to move his business here also?

Skol Vikes

Posted by: Devin Claus in Fargo at January 25, 2005 9:56 PM

Fowler says if he buys the team not only would he buy a house in Minnesota, but he'd also move his business, Spiral Inc., to Minnesota. Being a Minnesota resident will probably help his stadium efforts with the legislature, but it sure hasn't helped Pohlad.

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2005 9:09 AM