< Genius! | Main | Fowler in town >

Odds and ends

• I'm listening to the new 89.3 FM MPR radio station called "The Current" and I'm liking what I've heard so far. Good music from the past (I'm listening to Ray Charles right now) and present, good local coverage, and no commercials. I know, amazing. You should check out the web stream if you are interested.

• Speaking of music I've been listening to a lot of new music lately and most of what I've been listening to has impressed me immensly. Here is a run down of what has been in my CD player:

Got any recommendations? Let me hear them.

• The St. Paul Winter Carnival is getting into full swing, and that means that we have another year of Treasure Hunt Clues. I have looked for the treasure for about 5 years now. And three years ago I was at the park the night before it was found. So close! Anyway, if you are interested the Pioneer Press is publishing the clues on their web site. I think today's clue means the medallion is at a park with paths and water. I know, talk about a genius ...

That's it for now.

Posted by snackeru at January 24, 2005 12:57 PM | Life

Shane,
Let us hunt for the medallion together! I hereby pledge that I will assist you in finding it and achieving the glory that only finding the medallion can grant! Onward!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 24, 2005 1:06 PM

Shane-
I totally agree with you regarding Secret Machines. One of my faves of 04. Check out the new Low CD, The Great Destroyer (out tomorrow), they're a band from Duluth getting a lot of good recent pub. I have already heard it on 89.3 (it is nice to hear Mary Lucia on the radio again). Next post; back to stadiums.
-JiminStPaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at January 24, 2005 6:04 PM

a quick glance through my download folder (shhh, don't tell) and find my most recent and well listened to albums are:

Real Gone / Tom Waits

Good news for people who love bad news / Modest Mouse

and some other random stuff by Morphine, Mark Sandman (solo stuff), and Dream Theater.

Not sure if this fits your tastes...but all come highly recommended.

jx2

Posted by: jx2 at January 24, 2005 6:59 PM

Yes, I have been listening to The Killers (Hot Fuss) for a few months now. I have that album ranked ahead of even, gulp, U2! I purchased the Killers at the same time I got Franz Ferdinand....which was a major disappointment.

For my BD I hope to receive Clapton's "Me and Mr. Johnson. It's impossible to overemphasize the importance of singer-guitarist-songwriter Robert Johnson's contribution to blues music. Clapton covers 14 Johnson tunes. Ah, the blues....ain't nothing like sitting outside on a nice summer night listening to the Blues as you swat killer skitters!

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 24, 2005 7:49 PM

Jx2, thanks for the suggestions. I shall endeavour to check them out. And Brian, you are certainly right regarding Robert Johnson. I listened to him a lot in high school thanks to his influence on Zeppelin. I even gave a speech on him and other blues greats like Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon in college.

Posted by: Shane at January 25, 2005 12:14 PM

Shane-
I neglected to mention the Kings of Leon. U2 has handpicked them to open some upcoming tour dates. Their new CD comes out Feb 22, although it is available now as an import (or on some of those semi legal download sources).
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at January 25, 2005 4:22 PM