< Links of the day | Main | Is Fowler for real? >

Tom Ridge for Governor

Welcome TwinsGeek readers. As you probably know, the stadium situation is in dire straits here in Minnesota. So, I offer a sure fire solution to actually get something done in this sorry state:

tom_ridge.jpg
Minnesota needs 3 new stadiums? I'm all ears!
I hereby launch the

Tom Ridge for Governor of Minnesota

campaign

While governor of Pennsylvania Tom Ridge figured out how to build 4 new stadiums for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia Eagles, and Pitt Panthers. In other words, Tom Ridge is a diplomatic and financial genius. Now that Tom has resigned as directory of the Department of Homeland Security, Minnesota desperately needs his leadership. Please, Tom! Come to Minnesota and lead us to the promised land!

Paid for by the Tom Ridge for Governor of Minnesota Campaign
Jim in St. Paul, Campaign Manager

Posted by snackeru at January 26, 2005 9:29 AM | Stadiums

Tom Ridge? Man of red alerts... plastic sheeting and duct tape... ?

Posted by: Pat at January 26, 2005 11:06 AM

Yes, and I would duct tape every square inch of my house in honor of him if he could even build one stadium in Minnesota! Which, of course, he could easily do even with one hand tied behind his back (with duct tape). All hail Tom Ridge!

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2005 11:18 AM

Well, Tom was not a big proponent for funding for the state universities, also, he's rather poor on the environment. Not too sure if I want him as my governor.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 26, 2005 1:48 PM

Blah! He can't be any worse than the do-nothings currently in office.

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2005 1:51 PM

Well, he could be. As governor of PA, he inherited several hundred million in budget surpluses, thus was able to get the stadiums pushed through. He likes to cut taxes, but in the current fiscal environment of deficits, how would he fare? T-Paw at least is not looking to cut taxes, just not create new ones as he knows the state's budget problems. I doubt that Ridge could get a stadium through the legislature given that he would want to slash taxes on business, underfund health care, and go against the environment (which is especially huge here). Also, Ridge would not be looked upon favorably by Minnesotans, he's an outsider (see how Keyes fared in the IL Senate elections) and someone would just have to play the "I was born in MN" card and would get approx 45% of the voters just on that statement alone.

I just don't think that A - he would get elected, or B - be able to get anything of a stadium bill through the legislature without there being a budget surplus.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 26, 2005 2:33 PM

Shane-
I think your neighbor Craig better get the cheddar crumbs out of his eyes, he is not able to see that our tongues have moved slightly past our mollars.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at January 26, 2005 4:22 PM

Well said Jim, methinks he is thinking too hard about this...

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2005 4:25 PM

Hey, Shane threatened to moon me if I don't sign the petition. Nobody needs to see that, so I guess I'll sign.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 26, 2005 4:52 PM

Thank goodness! I didn't want to have to show you my butt.

Posted by: Shane at January 26, 2005 5:16 PM

Oh, I smell a very worthwhile April Fools joke in the making here. Not that everyone is as easy pickings as most Packer fans are (and we know that they are)...but this one could be a beaut.

Posted by: Brian Maas at January 26, 2005 9:19 PM

Brian, just ask Shane what I did to him last April Fool's Day... He He He, it was pretty good, if I may say.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at January 26, 2005 10:55 PM