< Links of the day | Main | Pepper! with Stick and Ball Guy >

Would the real Reggie Fowler please stand up?

• Hello everyone. Sorry that you didn't receive your usual early morning edition of the Greet Machine. I am actually at home feeling a little ill today. So, I slept in. Have no fear though. I expect to make a full recovery. While in bed, however, I had some time to reflect on some things happening in the world of Minnesota sports. Read on if you are interested.

• You know, I was planning a big todo for this web site when the Vikings were sold. I was planning on doing something completely different, where the site's home page would just be full of fireworks and dancing heads of the new Vikings owner. I was really excited for this. Now, I'm not so sure. I just don't know what to think about Reggie Fowler. And if I wasn't already unsure of what to feel about Fowler, now we have all this news about embellishments on his resume. Truthfully, the more I hear and think about it, the more it angers me. Either he is a liar, or he has idiots working for him. Either way, it makes the whole deal look shady, and it shines a very bad light on Fowler himself. Don't think the legislature isn't paying attention to the "truthfulness" Fowler is already displaying to our fine state. Our friends in the House will use any excuse they can to not do their jobs. This will just make that inevitability all the more likely. And really, why does a millionaire need to exaggerate on his resume? Let the facts speak for themselves. Sheesh.

The question remains, will the NFL finance committee still approve Fowler in light of these inaccuracies? Yes. I don't know why they wouldn't. Should they? I'm not so sure anymore. Again, I don't know what to think. All I do know is the more shady Fowler looks, the further the Vikings will be from solving their stadium woes.

• Speaking of a new stadium for the Vikings, did you catch this tidbit from Sid?

Alan Landis, one of the partners of prospective Vikings owner Reggie Fowler, told some people connected with Fowler that he is a big stockholder in the Yankees and the YES Television Network. According to the Yankees, Landis owns about 1 percent of the team and YES. Landis was one of about 15 people connected with Fowler who toured the Metrodome following the Fowler news conference Monday. The word is that Fowler and his developers are going to look into the possibility of remodeling the Metrodome so it could create a lot more income.

First of all, as Mr. Cheer or Die has already pointed out, it appears that all wealthy people like to stretch the truth a little bit. I don't know why I am surprised by this, I just am. This is just plain wrong and can only come back to bite you later on. Duh.

However, what I really wanted to focus on is the news that Fowler and his esteemed associates are going to look into remodeling the Dome to see if they can't beef up its revenue streams. As happy as I am to read this, I don't expect much from it. Fowler, Landis, and Zyggi (great name) will study the Dome, put together some figures and decide that it just won't work, or it would cost just as much as building a new stadium. This is all a part of the game.

The fact of the matter is, I would love a new stadium. I would also love a renovated Metrodome. I just want the Vikings to stick around past 2011. I feel the best chance for legislative assistance is with a renovated Dome. If Fowler's group finds that this is feasible I would be thrilled.

• Let's stay on this stadium theme. Outside of Minnesota, we have some news from Kansas City where the Royals have been trying to figure out some stadium problems of their own. It seems, as the article linked to previously will attest, that the city of Kansas City wanted to move the team downtown, but the owner of the Royals wanted to stay in Kauffmann Stadium. That is about as backward as you can get. The author writes:

Last week, as you know, the city stopped looking at plans to build a new downtown baseball stadium when the Glass family David and Dan announced that they want the Royals to stay at Kauffman Stadium.

The Glass family said that, as they see it, Royals fans do not want a downtown stadium, there's no particular need for a new stadium and the team can compete just fine in Kauffman Stadium.

Critics, meanwhile, said the Glass family backed out because it did not want to put up any of its own money to build, it is shortsighted, it went back on its word, and it does not care enough to invest in Kansas City's downtown.

This is just too strange to believe. And refreshing. All Glass wants now is to have the city make some renovations to Kauffmann stadium as promised by the lease. Wow. I am impressed.

A couple of years ago I was stunned to learn that the Royals were sqwaking about lack of revenue. Selig even came out and made some veiled threats saying that the situation would have to be addressed or the Royals wouldn't be able to compete. I was stunned because I knew the Twins would take Kauffmann Stadium in a heartbeat. I mean, it is a beautiful stadium. Anyway, kudos to the Glass family for making the right call. Again, it is refreshing to hear about. Special thanks to Vince for pointing me to this news.

• Sadly, I must report that I will not be renewing my Vikings season tickets this year. With three kids and one income it has just gotten to be too expensive. However, I can't not get anything for working my extra job at St. Kate's. That would make me sad and surly. So, instead, I decided to buy an iPod mini. What a fantastic little toy. It can hold 1,000 songs and play up to eight hours before it needs to be recharched. And also, being a U of M staff member, I got it for a discount at the Apple store at the MOA.

Special bonus points if you can figure out the song that is playing in the picture!

• Finally, tomorrow there will be something different for you to read. Intrigued? Stay tuned to find out what!

Posted by snackeru at February 17, 2005 11:34 AM | Vikings

Ownership issues. Something I won't have to worry about with the Packers and Brewers. You are dead on about the legislature though. This just hurt his chances for stadium funding. Should he get approved

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at February 17, 2005 12:09 PM

I know that it's just a letter by a reader today in the trib, but what about the proposed two team stadium on the river by the new Guthrie. It seams that the Gophs are already committed to their plans and the Vikes would prefer to be in the burbs, but a riverfront football stadium does sound enticing. I welcome thoughts, since I am still rather a stadium newbie junkie. I also hope that you're feeling better Shane.

Posted by: Vince at February 17, 2005 1:56 PM

Well, I applied several filters to the iPod photo to crystalize the photo to read the song output. And I couldn't believe what I saw!

Terry Jacks' Seasons in the Sun. One of the worst songs ever. Shame, Shane, shame!

Posted by: Brian Maas at February 17, 2005 2:22 PM

Hilarious Brian. But no. I tried to look at the picture myself to try to tell what the song is and I deduced that it is quite impossible to tell. It is "Tommy can you hear me?" from The Who's Tommy.

Posted by: Shane at February 17, 2005 3:24 PM

Vince--

I would also love a riverfront stadium for the Vikes and Twins, but it will never happen. The Twins want a baseball only stadium and will never, ever again agree to go in with the Vikings. They got screwed last time that happened. And the Gophers stadium is already a done deal. Plus, there just isn't any plan to make something like this happen. Anoka County is the best shot the Vikings have.

Shane

Posted by: Shane at February 18, 2005 1:38 PM

I've done business with Reggie in Denver, and he was bragging about his NFL career the whole time. Reggie is a complete scum bag as far as I'm concerned. A friend of mine who ownes a construction company that built a building for Reggie had to take him to court to get the bills paid. Good luck Minnesota.

Posted by: Bob at March 4, 2005 7:13 PM

Bob, that is really scary. The more I hear about stuff like this the more concerned I become. However, what else can we do? Red or Reggie ... I'll take Reggie at this point.

Posted by: Shane at March 5, 2005 9:02 PM