< Musing on the Freedom of Speech | Main | On a lighter note ... >

Change your attitude

Seriously, I don't even know why I'm going to try. Mr. Cheer or Die has a great post today that discusses the Moss trade and he says everything I would say and more. He even beat me to the punch and printed off the Mel Kiper top 10 draft picks. Nice work, Brian. You saved me a lot of time this morning.

However, I do have a couple of things to say about this trade. First of all, I don't like it. Moss was the best. He was exciting. He put butts in the seats at the Metrodome. He made the Vikings offense work the way it did. The fact that he was constantly double teamed opened up that offense in ways we probably won't ever see again. When I heard about the trade I was in emotional pain. I was practically in mourning. It ruined my whole evening and I couldn't stop thinking about it. But I vowed to not write anything until this morning so I could get my thoughts together. So, here they are.

What does this say about Reggie Fowler and/or Red McCombs? I could think of three things and none of them are good:

1. Red McCombs doesn't think Reggie Fowler will be approved by the NFL so he is continuing business as usual as the now and future owner of the Vikings. Bad news.
  2. Red McCombs is sticking it to Vikings fans one last time before he rides into the sunset. Bad news.
  3. Reggie Fowler actually approved this trade which, once again, makes him a liar. Bad news.

Why is it such hard work to be a fan of Minnesota sports? When talking about the Vikings specifically we have ownership issues, stadium issues, and now this stupid trade. NFL trades are very rare, but we have some doozies on our record books. We have this one, we have the trade of Fran Tarkenton to the Giants, and we also have the Herschel Walker trade. A look back at the history of these trades demonstrates that they usually don't work out too well for the Vikings.

And a quick note about the trade itself, what did we get for the best receiver in the NFL? A stick of gum and a Barry Zito rookie card? Man, it looks like we got screwed. Napoleon Harris? It is sad when Napoleon Harris is now the best linebacker on the Vikings. That shows how bad our linebackers have been over the last few years. THe seventh pick in the draft is great, of course, but another late rounder? What, so we can pick up another Aaron Elling or Eddie Johnson? Oh goodie.

Finally, are we going back into the Dark Ages of being Vikings fans? And I'm talking specifically about blackouts. Randy Moss is the reason Red has enjoyed so many seasons in a row of Vikings sell outs. We may see this trend continue next year, but if the Vikings don't show some kind of improvement, the absence of Randy Moss is going to hurt ticket sales. That's just all there is to it.

When my kids are in a bad mood all my wife needs to do is take one look at them and say, "Change it." So, that is what she had to say to me last night. I have to change my attitude about this or else it is going to be a really long off season. So, I am going to look on the bright side of things.

If I was the owner of the Vikings here is what I would do. With the 7th pick in the draft I would take another defensive lineman. I know what you are thinking but bear with me. I would take the departure of Randy Moss and turn it into an opportunity to hearken back to the glory days of the 1970s. Are you starting to get my drift? The Purple People Eaters, baby. I know Kevin Williams, Kenechi Udeze, and a player to be named later are hardly Page, Eller, and Marshall, but they are a start.

With the next pick I would either take a corner or a wide receiver, preferably a corner. And with all the cap money the Vikings have I would pick up either a corner or a wide receiver, preferably a wide receiver. Someone like Plaxico Burress.

Now think about it. Napolepon Harris is definitely an upgrade over any linebacker we have now. We could have another decent corner to put across from Antoine Winfield, and we could have a very good receiver to replace the enigmatic Moss. With the other draft picks we have we could upgrade our safety situation and pick up another offensive lineman.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the trade of Randy Moss could actually work out pretty well for the Vikings. We get rid of a selfish and disruptive player, upgrade the defense, replace said player with another excellent wide receiver, and retain quite possibly the best QB in the NFC.

We've still got Daunte, people. And this is now unequivocally Daunte's team. Daunte is a winner and in him I see another Fran Tarkenton. Did Fran ever have anyone with Moss's talent? No, but he had his own skills and a dominating defense.

That is what I am going to choose to focus on. What's done is done and I look forward to the Vikings' next moves. Let's see what happens.

Posted by snackeru at February 24, 2005 9:02 AM | Vikings

I was gloomy also, but then I read what Reusse had to say regarding how little the 49ers got for Owens last year. I still do not view the trade as a good one, however. I think this trade underscores the need for a true GM. Who, besides Red, approved the trade? It seems as though there is not a strong enough personality to counter Red's cheap ways. The ownership questions continue to cast a shadow on everything this team does. With so much money available for free agency, the Vikes could go a long way in finding a good WR to team with Burleson or a good CB to team with Winfield. If Red still owns the team, however, we all know he will spend only up to what the NFL requires. If the Vikes will spend the money through a combination of free agnecy and the draft, they could still be very competitive next year. The conspiracy guy in me says that Red knows that Fowler will fall through, and that he will still own the team. He then decides to hold on to them until 2011, and goes in a Pohlad-esque cost saving move. He puts an inferior product on the field, the fans stay away, and he moves to LA (or anywhere) and makes a huge profit. I just hope that the ownership question is answered soon, as I don't think this team will improve until then.

Curt in Grand Forks (who reminds you that even without Moss, the Packers still suck!!)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at February 24, 2005 9:22 AM

As a Packers fan, I was overjoyed when I saw this trade. The #7 pick is hit or miss, but Moss was guaranteed to light up the Pack every gdamn time. Thanks, Vikings!

Posted by: Tim at February 24, 2005 9:49 AM

Get this, Tom Oates, some horse's ass columnist from the Wis State Journal writes that Moss turned "marginal talents such as Culpepper, Burleson, and Moe Williams into superstars." Culpepper a "marginal talent". . .what is he smokin'?

Reusse is dead nuts right on the trade. It hurts to see Moss go but this is better for Culpepper and the team in general.

Posted by: TC at February 24, 2005 10:07 AM

Curt, you are absolutely correct. The ownership issue has to be solved. At this point, I am praying the the Fowler deal goes through. Just get Red out of the picture and move on. I am convinced a new owner will spend that cap money and attempt to make the team better. Fowler may be our best hope.

Tim, that is painful for me to read because it is so true. With Moss we knew what we had: an incredible talent that loved to stick it to the Pack. With the 7th pick, who knows? It could work and it could be a bust.

And TC, people in Wisconsin must be smoking some new fangled cheese. Culpepper and the word marginal don't belong in the same sentence. It actually makes me a little angry. I think we are going to see some wonderful things out of Pepper this next season, and it may have a lot to do with the fact that Moss will be gone.

Posted by: Shane at February 24, 2005 10:18 AM

Shane-
Did you read the article about MPLS mayoral debate. Is Rybek's challenger, McLaughlin, anti-stadium? He challenged Rybek for flipping, but do you know his stance?

Posted by: Vince at February 24, 2005 1:40 PM

An excellent question Vince! McLaughlin is pro-stadium. I might even argue he is more pro-stadium than Rybak and has even led Hennepin County's efforts to land a Twins stadium. I would vote for McLaughlin.

This doesn't mean he isn't still a politician. He has also said there is no rush to build a stadium. On the flip side he has been quoted as saying he believes public financing of a new stadium is worthwhile. So, in other words, he is no worse than Rybak. He is wishy-washy, but I believe when the rubber meets the road he would fight for a stadium.

Posted by: Shane at February 24, 2005 1:52 PM

We will hear from the media the typical West Coast-East Coast bias over Fly Over Country, and some of what they say will be true...that the Vikes got shafted once again. The Vikes will be ridiculed for make the trade simply because of past history (Walker; drafts; etc)…UNLESS they develop into a winner within the next 3-seasons while Moss doesn’t do a damn thing in Oakland.

Right now, with the “brain” (using that term loosely) trust at Winter Park, I do not in any way shape or form feel confident that a blue chip player will be drafted at #7 or that the necessary adjustments will be made at defense.

So, I side with Moss being a complete friggin’ stud in Oakland. Getting ready to be laughed at for a couple of seasons. I hope I am wrong. I really do.

Posted by: Brian Maas at February 24, 2005 2:57 PM

The Randy Moss trade to me shows the selfishness of people who think they know football. And make the fans , who love the Minnesota Vikings suffer another blow. Randy Moss was a threat every time the ball was snapped an offense , and he was on the Minnesota Vikings team. When you watch football on TV . you see , the quarterback, Culpepper set up in the pocket , and if he held the ball more than three seconds you'd known he was going to Moss and the play was on. That was a Minnesota Vikings fans moment and you knew that anything could happen and most likely anything could be good. That great moment to be a Minnesota Vikings fan is dead and gone. No defense could take that moment away just the people with selfishness in their heart could do that.

Posted by: Keith Nickelson at May 16, 2005 1:13 PM