< Stuff and more stuff | Main | Links of the day >

Back for another try

• Well, I said I would never do it again, but tomorrow I will take part in another panel discussion concerning blogs. It kind of makes me laugh. You may remember what happened the last time I took part in a panel discussion. I was not very thrilled with how that turned out. However, I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's discussion since it will primarily be focused on UThink blogs and how some people are using them in the department of Family Social Science. Such as the blog Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast. It will be a much more focused converstaion. I will let you know how it goes.

• Some of you may be wondering what happened to my basement a couple of nights ago that made me miss my self-imposed blogging deadline. Well, even if you aren't wondering I'm going to tell you as it is a story that not only discusses the joys of home ownership, but also my expert parenting skills. Read on if you are interested.

After we put the kids to bed on Sunday night, my wife and I decided to watch the movie Mr. 3000. And if I could digress for a second, Mr 3000 is not a very good movie. In fact it stunk. Which is a shame because I am probably in a couple of scenes in that movie since they were filiming it during my trip to Miller Park last year with Cheesehead Craig. Anyway, we were watching the movie when all of the sudden I hear water trickling in the wall behind me. At first I thought nothing of it, but then the trickle became a very noticeable sound of water pouring. That is not a good sound to hear.

I turned to my wife and said, "There is water in the walls." I swear the last time I saw her move that fast we were at the State Fair making our way to the bucket-o-french-fries line (that one is going to get me in trouble). Anyway, she darts up the stairs and I follow behind her. When we get to the upstairs bathroom we see that water is pouring out of our clogged toilet and there is at least 2 inches of water on the floor. Oh my goodness. That is just really painful to see.

I of course go nuts. Obviously one of my kids got up after they went to bed and clogged the toilet. "Why do we even have kids! This is going on their 18th birthday bill!" I yell as my wife starts sopping up the water. I walk out of the bathroom and in a fit of what can only be described as stupidty I storm into my sons' room. Now, keep in mind that my two sons have already been asleep for about an hour. I start yelling incoherently "Clogged toilet! Water pouring! Carpet runied! You pay!" Then composing myself ever so slightly I add, "You are forbidden from ever using the toilet again! I'm going to dig a hole for both of you in the backyard!" My oldest son wakes up immediately and with wide eyed wonder and confusion says, "I don't know what you are talking about!" Realizing this I left the room saying, "Just go back to sleep." My youngest son didn't even move a muscle the whole time. Either he was asleep or he is really smart.

So, my wife and I stop the toilet from running, clean up the water off the floor, and go back downstairs to survey the damage. Water, of course, seems to be everywhere. We start to try to soak up the water in the carpet, but quickly learn that whatever we soak up is just replaced by the water still making its way down the walls. Man, oh man, does this ever tick me off. Like clockwork I start thinking about all the money this is going to cost me saying stuff like, "What did I do with all my money before I had a house? Or before I had kids? I must have been rich!!" I'm sure all the other homeowners out there can relate.

Well, after about an hour of soaking up water we realized we would have to cut up some of the carpet to get at the padding underneath. If you don't do that you will have mold. There is just no two ways about it. Taking a carpenters knife to my carpet and a symbolic knife to my heart, I made the first cut. Oh, the agony! The pain! But in the end it turned out to be an excellent decision. We were able to dry the padding underneath and save the bulk of the carpet. Plus, the area I cut could be hidden by a couch or a throw rug. Phew, after about 2 hours my ordeal was over.

In the morning my oldest son told me that I scared him half to death storming into his room like that. We had a good laugh about it and that was nice. He really is a great and understanding kid. However, he is still banned from using the toilet. He told me he won't go near it anyway if I'm going to be such a freak about it.

Kids and home ownership. Never a dull moment.

Posted by snackeru at March 1, 2005 5:06 PM | Life

I can complete relate Shane as you well know. I have had a major backup from my sewer line that prompted much tearing up of carpeting at 11pm at night. My kids have not cost me much more than clothes, food, pre-K education and sleep so far. But I know that's going to change someday.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 2, 2005 8:29 AM

Don't let him fool you, folks--He's a natural at panel discussions!

Thanks again SO SO much, Shane, for coming out and talking with us in the Dept of Family Social Science today. The folks that attended are very interested in blogging, but needed the encouragement and introduction I think/hope we provided to nudge them into it.

I have really been impressed with the growth in functionality of UThink in the short time I have been blogging and look forward to the future improvements.

(P.S. Our department head, who attended, told me she especially enjoyed the session!)

Posted by: Yvette at March 2, 2005 1:34 PM

So...having experienced the joys of home ownership, you then wonder why some people don't want a stadium? Geez, just think of 10 or 15 toilets overflowing, all at the same time!

Posted by: Dianna at March 2, 2005 6:27 PM