< Stuff I wonder about | Main | Cats and U2 >

Quick shots

• I don't know why, but I could handle Barry Bonds taking steroids. It didn't surprise me. But Mark McGwire? I gotta admit this has really bothered me. How can he vehemently deny using steroids literally for years, but then when he is under oath say, "I'm not going to talk about the past"? Although he didn't plead the 5th, he might as well have done so. And I'm sorry, his refusal to answer the questions yesterday was as good as admitting he used illegal substances. Babe Ruth, Roger Maris, and Hank Aaron. McGwire has been removed from this list (if he ever should have been on it).

• The Golden Gopher's basketball team lost yesterday, but they will always hold a special place in my memory banks. They made it fun to cheer on the Gophers again. Hagen, Lawson, Robinson, Grier, Coleman, Stamper, Tollackson, Tucker ... this team will be remembered as the beginning of something special for the program. Hard working, fun loving, scrappy, and yes, even inspiring; I am upset I won't be able to watch them anymore, but I look forward to next year.

• I made another bet with Cheesehead Craig, this time concerning the NCAA tournament. Whoever gets more points in the Offical Greet Machine tournament challenge will get a cheeseburger AND fries from Fuddruckers. So far, CC has 200 points and I have 190. Still a lot of games to go, but I gotta say I'm not feeling very confident anymore. I picked OK State all the way, but they barely escaped SE Louisiana. I'm beginning to think I'm cursed in the betting department.

• My Final Four teams are OK State, Wake Forest, Duke, and UNC. I had no idea I had such an affinity for ACC teams. Blech...

• As a big Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt fan, I'm looking forward to the movie Sahara coming out this Spring. However, Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt? And Steve Zahn as Al? Good actors to be sure, but these would not have been my first choices. I read that Hugh Jackman was signed on to be Dirk. That would have been a little more appropriate in my mind.

• It looks like I have a new arch-rival in the stadium writing game over on TwinsTerritory.com. You all remember David Wintheiser who, although we have patched things up, I doubt will be gracing my blog's pages with his unique brand of wit and wisdom much anymore (he has his own site on TwinsTerritory now). However, it seems a blogger named "dbogen" has decided to unknowingly take his place. Twice in the last week I have posted a pro-stadium article and almost immediately he has put up a rebuttal. It makes me think he is watching for me, but I know that is just me being paranoid. Ha! Oh well, debate makes the world go around. I hope it stays civil. I am personally trying to keep it light-hearted.

• Here's the thing about the anti-stadium crowd: they are not willing to compromise at all. Pohlad pays for everything or they are against the plan. This kind of inflexibility is just not conducive to finding a solution. If Pohlad has refused to pay for everything for 10 years I don't think he is going to suddenly decide to change his mind. And I certainly don't think the public should pay for everything, but I do think there are funding sources that may satisfy the average taxpayer: TIF, gambling proceeds, ticket tax, sports facilities tax, etc. However, the anti-stadium crowd would find fault with all of these. Can't we just find a solution?

• You know what? It is a lot more fun to let it all hang out and be pro-stadium. It is actually very liberating. Anti-stadium people are just way too angry and intractable. Sure I've been angry before, but most of the time I am just trying to find a solution.

• So, the Vikings have traded their 7th round draft pick to the Jets for Sam Cowart. This is a very interesting development. Does this mean that they aren't considering Derrick Johnson? Or would they still select him and use Cowart as a mentor? I still think Mike Williams is our man. Regardless, though, Sam Cowart will do even more to improve our defense (if he can stay healthy). I gotta admit I am just stunned with all this activity on the Vikings part towards improving the team, especially with this Fowler business hanging out there. Stunned and very happy, though. With even a 15th ranked defense I think the Vikings will make a lot of noise in the NFL this next season. And I don't think the Vikings will have a 15th ranked defense.

• Speaking of the NFL draft, CNNSI.com has the Vikings picking Mike Williams with the 7th pick in their mock draft, even though they think Derrick Johnson will be available. We shall see. With the 18th pick CNNSI.com has the Vikings picking Erasmus James. Whooo boy. I would love that. Kenechi on one end, Williams and Williams manning the middle, and Erasmus on the other end? Yikes. And then Smoot and Winfield at the corners? And Cowart, Harris, and Driver to top it off? Why, oh why, did I give up my Viking season tickets?

• Oh yeah, it was so I can save up to go to Disney World next year.

• Curt in Grand Forks is going to attempt to buy our U2 concert tickets today at 10:00 at a grocery store in Grand Forks. I gotta tell you, this plan is usually fool proof. Curt and I bought Page/Plant tickets in Fargo and got 8th row seats. We bought Pink Floyd tickets in Sioux Falls and we got 12th row tickets. The concert is September 23 and I expect we'll be on the floor level shaking Bono's hand. I'll let you know if Curt is successful.

That's it for now. See you later.

Posted by snackeru at March 19, 2005 7:26 AM | Sports

I was fairly young at the time, but I still can't believe I missed that Floyd concert. I'm glad you had luck in Sioux Falls. I never really did. :(

Posted by: bjhess at March 19, 2005 12:06 AM

I bought my Page/Plant tix in Fargo, too, and I was in the 7th row at Target Center. Their first tour together in support of No Quarter? Was that the name of that Eastern sounding album? Anyway, Plant is a huge guy, very tall, but Page is the real deal. An awesome guitar player.

Posted by: SBG at March 19, 2005 8:43 AM

Where are the cats?

Posted by: Lucy at March 19, 2005 8:50 AM

Yes and I posted a nice rebuttle to his rebuttle. Meanwhile I still think the thing that's missing in a Twin Cities stadium proposal is the City/County side of it. If you can get one city or the other to committ and go to the state legislation with you as a partner, you have a much better chance of getting the funding. The Marlins are doing it that way.

Meanwhile, one of the local columnists wrote a bit on our well-heeled neighbors to the South missing out on Spring Training:

Baseball would be nice catch for Naples
http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/sp_columnists/article/0,2071,NPDN_14991_3636515,00.html

it's not going to happen though because the city doesn't want it.

Posted by: Dianna at March 20, 2005 7:40 AM