< Start to refelct | Main | You-whoop-de-do! >

Weekend thoughts

Hello everyone. My ride won't be picking me up today to get into work in a timely fashion, so this will have to be somewhat brief.

• As you all probably already know, Bob Casey passed away this weekend. This is a sad time for Twins fans. I don't think I ever heard anyone ever say they didn't like Bob Casey. Most people are talking about his introduction of Kirby Pucket, and his "No Smoking" calls as their favorite moments. But I always loved what he usually said after his "No Smoking" call. For example, if the Twins were playing Detroit, Casey would say, "There is noooooooo smoking in the Metrodome! No smoking! If you must smoke, go back to Detroit!" I loved that.

Whoever will replace Casey has some HUGE shoes to fill. He probably knows that though. Anyway, my prayers go out to the Casey family.

• The Gopher's men hockey team is back in the Frozen Four. In fact, the Frozen Four is made up entirely of WCHA teams. This is the first time that has ever happened. Yesterday's game against Cornell was fantastic, as I'm sure you'll agree if you watched it, but I was struck by some of the music the Cornell band was playing. For example, at one point they played the Wisconsin fight song, "On Wisconsin" which made me think Wisconsin must have stolen the tune from the older Cornell. Wrong! Cornell was just trying to irk the pro-Minnesota crowd at Mariucci. That, I thought, was pretty funny.

There will have to more later. I've got to go.

Posted by snackeru at March 28, 2005 8:06 AM | Sports

Nothing else happened this past weekend Shane? Didn't you go somewhere for dinner on Saturday night? Anything you would want to tell your readers about?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at March 29, 2005 12:03 PM