< Weekend thoughts | Main | Links of the day >

You-whoop-de-do!

• Can you believe this weather we are having? This is why I stay in Minnesota, for days like yesterday and today. Most of the time we've either got months and months of dreary winter, or months and months of mosquitos feasting on our blood. But Springtime in Minnesota makes it all worth while. I would wager that you really can't appreciate Spring unless you go through the crap we usually go through. Anyway, I am loving it. It almost makes me forget about stadiums ... almost.

• Speaking of stadiums and the business of sports, Mr. Cheer or Die and the Vikes Geek have written some highly frightening posts concerning the Vikings chances of moving to LA. I read these two posts and I just about started weeping. However, as much as I love a good conspiracy, and as much as I'm beginning to think it is obvious we can't trust a thing Reggie Fowler says, one thing remains painfully clear. Unless the Vikings get a new stadium they will move out of our state. It is the same as the Twins situation: the Vikings will not play in the Metrodome (as it is right now) forever. Something has to be done. I think that is a given.

However, what can be argued is the timing. How long have we got before the sky falls and Minnesota is annexed by North Dakota (becoming Super Dakota!)? I still feel very strongly that the Vikings are here until 2011. No matter what. Tagliabue does not want to mess with the Rozelle letter. And I also feel strongly that the NFL wants a team in Minnesota. We will receive every chance to keep the Vikings here, but after 2011 all bets are off. It is as simple as that.

• And speaking of the NFL wanting Minnesota to have an NFL team, I also think that the NFL is rapidly losing patience with Minnesota. Why? Of course, we've already got our legislature's refusal to consider stadium financing for Minnesota's favorite team, and now we've got that idiot Dick Day and his exit tax for Red McCombs. The more I think about this the more moronic I think this idea is. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Red and I wouldn't mind it if we got a chance to stick it to him for once, but this move by Day is just plain wrong. For one thing it demonstrates, at least to me, how much Minnesota hates rich people. God forbid that you are rich and successful in Minnesota because we will not like you. In fact, we will hate you, we will be jealous of you, and we will try to make your life more miserable. Of course, you'll have lots of money so we will be like a mosquito buzzing in your ear, but mosquitos can become annoying.

And Minnesota has become an annoyance. Don't think the NFL isn't paying attention to all of this and thinking twice about giving our fair state the benefit of the doubt. If this exit tax actually gets passed, which is doubtful, it will be yet another nail in the Vikings coffin. This new tax singles out Red McCombs and the NFL for special treatment and it sends a clear message that we are at best difficult to work with and at worst obstinate little children.

• If you get a chance stop over at Stick and Ball Guy's web site today to see all the Twins bloggers picks for the upcoming MLB season. SBG is having a contest based around the picks, and the winner will be feted on SBG's website and receive a drink purchased by SBG himself! Be still my beating heart! And just for my own documentation purposes, here are all of my picks:

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Twins
AL West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Yankees

NL East: Marlins
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Cubs

AL Pennant: Twins
NL Pennant: Cards

WS Champ: Twins

AL MVP: Vlad
NL MVP: Pujols

AL Cy Young: Santana
NL Cy Young: Schmidt

If you haven't noticed, I figure if I'm going to lose, I mine as well lose cheering for the Twins. And looking at the other blogger picks, it looks like I'm not alone.

• Finally, I chanced upon a very interesting LiveJournal post yesterday regarding a new format for music. This new format displays song lyrics in list format. At first I thought, how stupid! But then I found it to be quite addictive. Anyway, I thought I would give it a try by using this new format on "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2:

It is not as easy as it looks! Give it a try!

Posted by snackeru at March 29, 2005 8:13 AM | Sports

Of course, I picked the Phillies to win the National League, so I'm going to lose, and I didn't even pick the Twins. Apparently, I'm an idiot.

Posted by: SBG at March 30, 2005 12:07 AM