< I'm soooo funny! | Main | Let's get down to business >

Back in the saddle

I'm back! Aren't you excited? However, I won't be writing anything of real substance just yet. I am still recovering and I need to get some actual work done. Allow me to explain my absence, though.

On Friday I left for a two night camp-out with the Cub Scouts at Eagle Cave in rural south-western Wisconsin. While there we explored, went on nature hikes, and actually slept in the cave. Sleeping in a cave is about as much fun as you can imagine. Caves are usually wet, dark, cold, and smelly and Eagle Cave is no exception. We literally slept on gravel, and we had to cover our sleeping bags and gear with rain tarps because of all the dripping from the stalactites on the ceiling. Also, the people who run Eagle Cave have strung lights throughout the entire cave so you can see where you are going, but they never turn them off, even when you are trying to sleep. Needless to say, it was an amazing experience.

To top it all off, while on this camp-out I also tripped and fell and seriously damaged my right shoulder. How? What I like to tell people is that I was wrestling a bear, but the truth is much less glamorous. I was playing tag. Yep, that's right, I was playing tag and my 32 year old body couldn't handle it. Pathetic. I was chasing someone down a hill and I tripped over him. This caused me to take a swan dive down the incline of the hill until my shoulder hit the ground and bulldozed for about 5 feet. It was nauseatingly painful. So, I had to go to the emergency room. Now, keep in mind that I was in rural Wisconsin. We couldn't even get cell phone connections or radio signals. That is how far we were in the boondocks. The hospital I went to was in Richland Center. The doctors and nurses were great, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have to give banjo lessons on the side to make ends meet. Anyway, they did about 10 x-rays before deciding that nothing was broken, thankfully, but they were unable to tell me what is really wrong. Hopefully it will just heal on its own, but I still have difficulty moving my right arm.

Anyway, that was my trip to Eagle Cave. And lest I sound too negative, I actually did have a good time. I mean, how often do you get to sleep in a cave? It was a once in a lifetime experience, that is for sure ... and emphasis should be placed on "once in a lifetime."

I got back on Sunday and immediately packed my bags for Washington D.C. and the CNI Task Force Meetings. About six months ago I agreed to make a presentation on UThink at these meetings. Here is the description of my presentation. Anyway, I flew out of D.C. on Monday morning at 7:00 AM. Having only one functioning arm made this a little more difficult, especially going through the security checkout. I think they were also suspicious of me since I was walking around like Igor in Young Frakenstein. So, it seemed like they made me do a little more of their "song and dance." It was frustrating.

Anyway, I gave my presentation at 4:45 Monday afternoon and it went very well, thanks for asking. But I was really one cool customer at the podium thanks to all the Vicodin pumping through my veins. That is a nifty little drug. After the presentation I went back to my room and watched the NCAA b-ball championship and finally got some sleep.

The next morning I woke up late, got dressed, and walked down to the Mall. While there I saw the new WWII Memorial, the new Korean War Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. The WWII Memorial is very moving. I was deeply impressed. And the Lincoln Memorial is always awe inspiring. I climbed to the top, read some of Lincoln's speeches, and wondered as I looked out on the city, "If the Washington Nationals can get a stadium deal why can't the Twins?" What can I say? It is a curse.

Then I took the Metro to the airport, flew back home, and immediately made my way to St. Kate's where I teach every Tuesday night. I teach a class called "Internet Fundamentals and Design" in the library science program there. Needless to say, due to all my traveling, and the pain in my right shoulder, I was in no mood to be there last night. Luckily I had set up a guest speaker who did a great job. Then, I came back home, watched a little of the Twins game, and went to sleep.

That is why I haven't been able to update this site for a while. And I know there has been some interesting stadium news in recent days. I will be commenting on all of that in good time. However, for now, as I said, I have to get some work done. Until later...

Posted by snackeru at April 6, 2005 8:03 AM | Life

As a first hand observer of the man behind the Machine, I can attest to his sorry state. On Sunday he looked just miserable and was moving about like a Viking LB.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 6, 2005 10:51 AM

CC: I thought you said he had that "deer in the headlight" look, much like Favre had after throwing 6 INTs in that Rams playoff game a few years back.

No matter. Shane best study up on Tommy John surgery.

Posted by: Brian Maas at April 6, 2005 1:56 PM

Isn't that spelled Farv? As in Marv?

Posted by: SBG at April 6, 2005 2:36 PM

Seriously, sorry to hear about the shoulder. Hope you are ok.

Posted by: SBG at April 6, 2005 2:46 PM