< Community ownership idea progressing | Main | Lazy Saturday >

Go outside!

Sorry about my lack of posting this morning. I went to the Twins' "Breakfast on the Plaza" and it took me quite a while to get through. I didn't get into work until 9:00 AM. But I did get a nifty Twins poster from UPN 29. So, that made it worth it. It lists 29 great moments in Twins history, and it includes the game in 1990 where the Twins turned two triple plays. I actually remember when that happened. So, I thought it was neat that they included it on the poster. I know, you could probably care less, but it is my blog and I'll write about what I want to.

And for all of you going to the Twins home opener tonight go outside right now! You'll be spending three hours in the stifling Metrodome air so get outside now and enjoy this beautiful weather while you can.

Finally, I am really beginning to hate the Boston Red Sox. I mean, I hated them before, but now they have become even more intolerable. For years I have been subjected to all this whining about the "curse." Thankfully that is over. But now I have to be bashed over the head with how wonderful the Red Sox are, and how they are the antithesis to the Yankees, and how Red Sox fans are the best in the world ... blah blah blah. I tell you that I would now enjoy the Twins beating the Red Sox more than I would enjoy the Twins beating the Yankees. The Red Sox and their fans make me sick.

fever_pitch.jpg Now we have this new movie Fever Pitch coming out. Please, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. If it makes even a little bit of money we will all be subjected to this Boston Red Sox love-fest that much longer. And somebody tell me how anyone in their right mind thinks Drew Barrymore is attractive. Anybody? Look at that picture. She looks like the studio model for The Scream. So, Fever Pitch ... first its a movie about the Red Sox, and then they cast Drew Barrymore to play the love interest ... please, I'm begging you, stay away from this movie. We have to stop baseball fan abuse like this in its tracks.

Posted by snackeru at April 8, 2005 12:14 PM | Twins

I believe that they even shot part of the movie when the Red Sox won the Series. I think she was kissing Jimmy Fallon right on the field after the game. I could be wrong about that.

Putrid.

Posted by: SBG at April 8, 2005 12:30 PM

SBG: You are right, SBG. The Farrelly Brothers received special permission from MLB to be on the field to do a re-shoot, as they had to make wholesale changes to the end of the movie. I plan on seeing it (sorry Shane) as I am a big Jimmy Fallon fan, and I think it might help non-sports people (read: my wife) understand the compulisions of some sports fans (read: my obsession with the Purple). Besides, I firmly believe that the Sox winning the series will led to a Viking Super Bowl win. The Almighty has started the ball rolling...

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 8, 2005 2:18 PM

I had a self-imposed moratorium on Red Sox and Yankees articles during the pre-season. It's actually quite fun. Even if I'm reading a general baseball article, I'll skip the Red Sox and Yankees portions. This moratorium made reading the Sporting News baseball preview a breeze! I'm thinking of adding the Cubs.

On My Yahoo! page I have the RSS feed for ESPN's MLB section. It displays five articles at a given moment. Typically about 3-4 of them are about the Red Sox or Yankees. One of them is about the Cubs. It will then be rounded out with one more article if I'm lucky. Unfortunately 50% of the time that article will be about the Braves.

The unfortunate part of all this is that I probably won't be reading nearly as much Sports Guy during the baseball season.

Suck.

Posted by: bjhess at April 8, 2005 2:49 PM

You whinahs! "OOOO, when ah the Twins gonnah get theah respect?" Just shut ya yap! Nobody loves yah, so deal with it.

Posted by: Sox Rule! at April 8, 2005 3:28 PM

It's not about respect, it's about being sick of hearing about the stupid Red Sox. The Red Sox have become a cliche. If you aren't a Yankees fan, chances are you're a Red Sox fan. Well, I'm here to tell you I hate 'em both! Go Baltimore!

Posted by: Shane at April 8, 2005 7:47 PM

And Curt, I suppose I can understand your reasoning for seeing this movie. And your Red Sox-Vikings connection seems to make sense. However, why then didn't the Vikings win it all last year? That is why I say screw the Red Sox! Go Baltimore!

Posted by: Shane at April 8, 2005 7:51 PM

It's the Devil Rays' year!

Posted by: SBG at April 9, 2005 10:22 AM

Yeah, Drew has got to be the ugliest "hot" girl in hollywood. Shane, just a quick question, I know that there's talk of a stripped down outdoor stadium for the Twins. Do you know of any proposals out there that would be outdoor, but adaptible in a few years if it seems necessary to put a roof on top?

Posted by: Vince at April 9, 2005 4:57 PM

The movie does show a lot of idiosynchrisies unique to baseball fans that poeple often don't understant. I wrote a review (I use that term loosely) of it, if anyone wants to read it.

As far as the Red Sox go, you are right. They aren't the anithesis to Yankees, they're the little brothers of the Yankees. The White Sox have (had) gone longer without a World Series than the Red Sox, but even they don't whine about it; and they are (in the words of Bert Blyleven) "A bunch of whiners."

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at April 9, 2005 5:17 PM

Thanks for the note, TwinsJunkie. I will check out your review.

Vince, I think any plan that builds an outdoor ballpark without a roof will have, as part of the plan, the ability to put a roof on later. I don't know of any specific plans that have been submitted this year, but I wouldn't be surprised it that is the shape a plan would take. It would be cheaper, and I think right now we just need to start digging. Did you see the PiPress letters to the editor this Sunday? At least one letter writer commented on this...

Posted by: Shane at April 11, 2005 10:01 AM