< Marlins stadium on life support | Main | Cola preferences >

Randomness

Not much to say today, but I'll give you what I got.

• Charley Walters ... man I love that guy. Yesterday and today he wrote some great stuff regarding the sale of the Vikings and the possibility of a new Twins stadium. Glen Taylor, of course, is still in the running the buy the Vikes, but today Walters writes regarding a Twins stadium:

There's talk that Hennepin County next week could announce Eden Prairie as a potential site for a Twins ballpark.

I don't even know what to think about this news. What excites me the most is that there may be a proposal next week, but Eden Prairie? Well, I guess I've said before that I'll take a stadium in Bemidji, just build the stupid thing. So, I guess Eden Prairie would be fine. It may even be closer to my house than a Minneapolis ballpark.

• And of course, Walters reported yesterday that "[t]he Twins are guardedly optimistic about finally getting approval for a new ballpark this legislative session. St. Paul remains in the hunt." I seriously don't know how the Twins can remain optimistic, but I'm glad they are. They've got a lot of obstacles to overcome, though, including the fact that the Gopher's stadium bill hasn't even reached the floor of the House yet, Krinkie is the chair of the House Taxes committee, the Florida Marlins stadium bill is languishing even with a $192 million contribution from the team, and unless someone comes up with a phenomenal and as yet unheard of funding source, taxes in the host community will be a big part of the plan. So, even if a bill is passed their will be a referendum. Even if a stadium bill is passed, that is only half of the battle!

I'm such a pessimist. Why do you even come here to read this?

• And speaking of a Vikings stadium, one argument for community financing that I am surprised we don't hear more is the fact that the Vikings will pay for 1/3 of a stadium that they will only use 10 days out of the year. The rest of the time the stadium can be used for all sorts of community events. Check out the schedule for the Metrodome for November 2004 and December 2004. Almost everyday the Dome is being used for something. So, for the Vikings to pay even 1/3 of the bill is quite a deal when you look at what the host community gets in return. The $75 million investment Minnesota made to pay for the Dome was one of the best investments the state has ever made. The place has payed for itself many, many times over. I am positive that in 20 years we would be saying the same thing about a stadium in Anoka county, or wherever the Vikings end up (I'm with you Vince. The Vikings ain't going anywhere.)

• And speaking of the Dome, I was walking past the Dome after getting off my bus in downtown Minneapolis this morning when I remembered a popular Bible verse that could help us all in our plight. In Matthew 17:19-20 Jesus says:

Jesus told them. "I assure you, even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, `Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."

Taking this to heart, as I was walking past the Metrodome I mustered up all the faith I had, I thrust out my hand, and I said, "Metrodome, I cast thee into Lake Minnetonka! Be gone from my midst and torment me no more!"

Sigh. Since you have probably noticed that the Metrodome is still firmly entrenched in Minneapolis, it is obvious that my effort to "move a mountain" was a failure. My lack of faith is simply stunning.

Posted by snackeru at April 14, 2005 8:49 AM | Stadiums

I am glad that your attempts to "move" the Metrodome into Lake Minnetonka were unsuccessful. When they tear that stadium down in order to move into Best Buy Stadium (how do you like that name), I intend to purchase a dome seat and cup holder for my sports den!!

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Anonymous at April 14, 2005 9:25 AM

Not much to say today, huh? Hate to see an article when you do have a lot.

PS The Brewers are in 1st place in thier division!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 14, 2005 10:09 AM

Curt, my father-in-law has a boat that we can take out to the lake to get your seat and cupholder. No worries there.

And, yes, I suppose my short post got a little wordy didn't it? Congrats on the good fortunes of the Brewers. It is about time something nice happened to that franchise.

Posted by: Shane at April 14, 2005 1:09 PM