< I'm beat | Main | My favorite Twins >

I'm stumped

It must be the weather, but I feel a little more stupid than usual. Sitting here trying to think about what to write about is more of a challenge all of the sudden. There has been some minor stadium news of late, namely the Giants new stadium deal (paid for by themselves), the Yankees attempting to build a new stadium (why?), Pohlad claiming that the potential stadium site is still wide open. That last one really perplexes me and continues to prove that Pohlad will do whatever it takes to shoot himself in the foot.

The Twins game last night? Watched it, but I don't have anything to say about it. The NFL Draft? Of course, I will be watching it, but I have read about it so much that all I can say is I am confused and I have no idea who the Vikings will pick. Let's just wait until Saturday to find out.

So, I've decided to just write a stream of conscienceness (consciousness?) type piece. Whatever comes into my mind is what I will write about. Let's start:

• What is my favorite color? Blue
• What is my favorite food? Cheeseburger
• What sports do I like? In this order, NFL football, MLB baseball, college basketball, NBA basketball, college football, college hockey. You'll note that the Vikings are at the top of my list. I can't help it. That is just the way it is.
• What is the last movie I saw in the theater? Constantine. The theology was a little off, but it was an entertaining movie.
• What is the last movie I saw? Taxi. That has to rank up there with some of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. Not quite Tomb Raider status (the dumbest) but it is up there.
• What is the last album I have purchased? Hotel by Moby. Good stuff. Moby is a little different than what I usually listen to, so it is refreshing.
• What is my favorite rock band? U2, without a doubt. There is not a day that goes by that I don't listen to U2.
• What book(s) have I most recently read? Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Fight Club was very, very thought provoking. I wish I had that kind of imagination.
• What book am I reading now? Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias. A work of Christian apologetics and also very thought provoking. Also, written in the "Queen's English" so it is fun to read.
• What is my favorite TV show? The Amazing Race. That show is awesome.
• What do I think about gay marriage? Inevitable. If Christians would only show this kind of determination towards issues like hunger and health care, we might make a real difference in the world and more easily accomplish our actual mission.
• Speaking of health care, how would I fix the problem? State run all the way baby. It would cut down on beauracracy and ultimately save money. And don't tell me the gov't can't efficiently run something this large, they seem to do fine with the military, the Federal Reserve, etc. The fact that we live in a county where so many people can't afford to see a doctor is painful to me. We can do better.
• What did I think of the Terry Schiavo fiasco? I found it fascinating that so many Christians cared so much about this one life, but turn a blind eye to millions of sick people every day just because they lack health insurance. It is wrong.
• What do I think about the upcoming energy crisis? I think this is too pessimistic, but this is straight out of a fairy tale. I think we are all in for a shock, and that we all will have to change our lifestyle, but probably won't be as bad as some people say.
• What kind of car do I drive? A Chrysler Town and Country mini-van. I love driving a mini-van. I have no shame, only pride in driving my big maroon min-van around town. This is my only vehicle. I carpool to work and ride the bus when that falls through.
• What are my favorite animals? Like it says above (sometimes), I like giraffes and chickens. I could watch giraffes for hours, and my favorite State Fair activity is walking through the chicken barn. Amazing variety...
• What is my shoe size? 12
• Where would I rather live? Until the Vikings and Twins leave, this is where I want to be. No doubt about it. I love the four seasons, I love this time of year, I love the people of Minnesota. If the Twins and Vikings leave, though, I am packing my bags for Maine.
• What kind of peanut butter do I prefer? Chunky. No question.
• When I get to heaven, what 3 questions will I ask? What happened to the dinosaurs, if I never cut my hair how long would it have been when I died, and what should I have done for a living? Right now I'm a webmaster, but I have a sneaky suspicion I should have been a canoe maker.
• What is my general demeanor? I think I am easy to work with, way too pessimistic, quiet, generally happy, and very shy. If you met me, I think you would be surprised at how shy I am.
• What is my favorite snack? I love EZCheese and triscuit crackers. I probably eat this almost every night.
• What would I love to be able to do? I would love to be able to write a book. And my book would have aliens in it because I love aliens (and most science fiction). I hope to meet an alien in my lifetime, but I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

That's it for now. Hopefully something with more substance at a later time.

Posted by snackeru at April 19, 2005 9:06 AM | Life

I almost ended up in Maine right out of college. A recruitor for a pharmacy chain swept me off my feet and they were very interested in relocating me there. But the letter of acceptance never came. A few weeks later my college dean called the chain and they said they had mailed several letters to students to offer jobs....mine included. The letters were apparently lost. And in that short amount of time I had accepted another job in Virginia and could not back out.

One student did end up in Maine and hated it. Why? Because she was not a local and I guess the Maine crowd despises "outsiders"...so take that into consideration when the Twins and Vikes are gone and you are looking for another home!

Posted by: Brian Maas at April 19, 2005 9:42 AM

Hmmm ... maybe I should consider Vermont or New Hampshire then. Thanks for the head's up Brian!

Posted by: Shane at April 19, 2005 9:45 AM

Shane: The day you leave the Metro (regardless of what the Twins and Vikings do) is the day I move to Manhattan! I can't picture you not living in the Big City any more than I picture myself living in one. Regardless of the state's professional sports teams, you will always be a true Minnesotan, which is not bad since you were born in Wisconsin!!

Curt in Grand Forks (who will probably always reside in college towns until he retires to a lake somewhere in Minnesota!)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at April 19, 2005 10:14 AM

Yes Curt, you probably have a point. I'm all talk and no real action. Lake front property in Minnesota does sound nice. May I join you?

Posted by: Shane at April 19, 2005 10:17 AM

I would move to the Pacific NW myself, beautiful country with lots of whitwater rafting and mountain hiking trails. Plus, it rains a lot, and I love rain.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at April 19, 2005 11:18 AM

Activities are nice. Big cities are nice. But take it from a guy who will soon hit 44.....there will come a time very soon when the muscle and joints hurt a bit too much for all the outdoor sports. And I was Texas triathlete state champion in 1989..which is why the hips and knees are so screwed up now, having worked out 3-5 hours per day for a couple of years and all the high-school and college miles running cross-country and track!

Anywho, my point is you will soon consider the Sun Belt for an alternative. I'm not talking Florida and such. But I picture a quiet little place along the ocean such as Galveston. Or a desolate place in the deserts of Arizona or New Mexico. Cocktail in one hand staring at a sunrise or sunset. No phone calls to make. No deadlines. No things that HAVE to be done that day.

Interestingly enough, I checked out a new complex in Galveston recently. I just don't have the $350K to $1M to handle it. And that's why I think the ocean view will be out. Gotta start researching the desolate desert. Just have to be close to a big city sO I can take in the occasional sporting event or play or orchestra.

But then, I often realize it isn't so bad here and could still live here even without the Big Two sports.

We'll see....

Posted by: Brian Maas at April 19, 2005 3:06 PM

I would never call you shy Shane - very funny, yes, but never shy.

Also - EZCheese and Triscuits!?!? You definitely won't live to see aliens if you are eating that way!

Posted by: Kate McCready at April 19, 2005 3:19 PM

Hey! Nice to hear from you Kate. But you don't think I'm shy because you know me. Put me in a large group of people I don't know and between the choice of "fight" or "flight" I will try to escape every time. I've probably gotten better in my old age, but I am still horrible at small talk.

EZ Cheese and Triscuits ... mmmm ... it doesn't get any better.

Posted by: Shane at April 19, 2005 3:31 PM

Nice list Shane. I am partial to ez cheese myself. We always have it on family trips when refridgeration is not a given. Your wife must put up with all your quirks if what they say about shoe size is true.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at April 19, 2005 4:02 PM

Ack! Jim! You have embarrassed me!

EZ Cheese is awesome. Just goes to show you that our genius minds think alike on more than just stadiums. I am partial to Sharp Cheddar. How about you?

Posted by: Shane at April 19, 2005 4:22 PM

Sharp cheddar on wheat thins. Triscuits or too crumbly and the kids always make a mess with them.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jiminstpaul at April 20, 2005 5:24 AM

HI Brother-
It was fun to read all about you. It was actually like a quiz. I am happy to report that I knew a lot of your favorite things, the EZcheese for example. I remember after school, you plate full of triskets and EZcheese. Too Funny! As for being shy, if people don't believe you, they obviously haven't met me:) Have a good day
carrie

Posted by: Carrie at April 20, 2005 8:35 AM