< Roll call | Main | Few want to pay for anything >

Before you do anything

Before you do anything today, please take a moment to write the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners and let them know how you feel about keeping the Twins in Minnesota. The Hennepin County Board votes tomorrow at 1:30 on whether or not they will go forward with their plan, and while it looks like they have enough votes to pass a few more emails from the plan's supporters can't hurt. Even if you don't live in Hennepin County, even if you don't live in Minnesota, please take a moment to write these people. It does make a difference.

Also, again, if you are writing your legislators and you get an interesting response please feel free to share that response with all of us here. Please submit a comment below or send me an email at snackeru@umn.edu.

And speaking of interesting responses, I got this response from the other SLP Representative Steve Simon:

Thanks a lot for your e-mail message. I really apprciate your input. As for the latest Twins proposal, I'm impressed with what I have seen and heard so far. The Twins clearly need a new stadium. The virtue of this latest plan is that it does not require state general fund money, and it imposes a very small tax. Still, I will carefully review the numbers. I want to make sure that taxpayers are getting a fair deal. As always, please feel free to contact me about any issue, idea, or concern.

That sounds great. Steve Simon replaced the anti-stadium Jim Rhodes so to have a pro-stadium rep now filling that seat is wonderful!

Finally, my own Hennepin County Commissioner is a liar. Check out this quote in the Pioneer Press:

Meanwhile, Hennepin Board members said Friday that the Twins e-mail campaign was reaching its targets.

"For the first two days, it was 100 percent against,'' board member Gail Dorfman said of citizen reaction after the board discussed the stadium deal last Tuesday. "Today, it's almost all in favor of the Twins. If I go away from my e-mail list for 10 minutes and come back, there's another 50. Many of them say, 'The Twins told me to call you.' "

100% against? I think not. I wrote her the day after the plan came out telling her I was in favor of the plan. Shame on you Gail Dorfman! However, I am thrilled that the emails she is receiving now are overwhelmingly in favor. Let's keep that up people!

Posted by snackeru at May 2, 2005 8:42 AM | Stadiums

I emailed Gail! I shall support my friend and neighbor in this quest. Plus, I'd be happy to go to some outdoor games in our new, pretty stadium.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 2, 2005 11:04 AM

you will be happy to know your father and i are in favor of the proposal and i emailed county commissioner Koblick to urge them to vote yes.

Posted by: mom at May 2, 2005 12:17 PM

Ha! Thanks Mom! That is indeed good news. Did you write Dorfman too? And while I can't help but think that Dad is in favor of this plan more because of how crazy I am, I hope that he can see the merits of the proposal.

Thanks for the comment!

Posted by: Shane at May 2, 2005 1:16 PM