< Guest blogger: SBG | Main | The roof >

Superstition

I'm not usually a superstitious person. I don't knock on wood. I don't throw salt over my shoulder. I don't care about walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, or black cats crossing my path. Having said all that, though, there is one piece of superstition that I can never ignore, and I'm ashamed to admit that it fascinates me more than it should. What is this piece of superstition you ask? It is the superstition of "whatever song comes on next." Never heard of it? Allow me to elaborate.

Whenever I listen to the radio, or my iPod, I like to say, "Whatever song comes on next will determine how the rest of my day goes." Or I like to be more specific sometimes by saying something like, "Whatever song comes on the radio next will dictate whether I go to Home Depot or Menards to buy some window caulk." As you might imagine, deciphering the meaning of some of these songs can be quite a challenge. Does the fact that the next song is "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin mean I should get a haircut today or not? Or does hearing the song "Clocks" by Coldplay mean I will finally beat Cheesehead Craig at a bet? Like I said, the message these songs are trying to send can sometimes be almost impossible to figure out, but that doesn't stop me from seeking the truth within.

Over the course of my life "whatever song comes on next" has had some surprising results. For example, in my sophomore year in college my roommate (Curt in Grand Forks) was in a serious relationship when I said, "Whatever song comes on next will determine your relationship with Emily." The next song to come on was "Evil Woman" by ELO and they broke up a few weeks later. I know, spooky!

Another example was when I asked my wife our on our very first date. We were both working at a local department store during the summer. I was a stock boy, and she was a cashier, and I had pretty much been stalking her for a couple of months. I would position myself in places I knew she would be so I could talk to her, but I would always chicken out when she came walking by. So, one day I said to my stock boy colleagues, "Whatever song comes on next will determine whether or not I ask Molly out on a date." They all said, "Yeah, yeah" because they knew that I had been wanting to ask her out for weeks but I could never muster the courage to do so. Anyway, the next song that came on was "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith. I know, you're probably thinking that I'm a sicko, but the lyric that struck me as I was listening was "Don't mind, come on up and see me." I was on the first level of the store, and Molly was on the second. I turned white as a ghost and said, "This is it." I literally ran up to the second floor (because I knew if I didn't run I would turn around) and I made it to her counter. I was a little winded from running and while I was panting I blurted out, "Do you want to go out on a date?" She was a little perplexed by me since I was so winded, but she still said, "Sure. When do you want to go out?" I said, "Tonight." Awestruck by my suave demeanor she agreed and the rest, as they say, is history. I owe 11 years of marriage and 3 kids to the song "Rag Doll" by Aerosmith. Amazing, wouldn't you say?

A more touching example occured when my first son was being born. A radio was playing in the operating room (it was a c-section) and I snuck in a "Whatever song comes on next will ..." Well, I didn't know what, but I knew it would be meaningful. Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" came on as they put him into my arms for the first time. I thought that was appropriate.

So, why am I telling you all of this? For one thing, it is a fun game to play and the results can sometimes be surprising, but I have something more important to tell you. I played "whatever song comes on next" last Thursday as I was walking home from the bus stop. I had my iPod on shuffle so I said, "Whatever song comes on next will determine whether or not the Hennepin County proposal will result in a new Twins stadium." I waited patiently, the song that I was listening to ended, and the next song slowly started to play. At first I couldn't make it out, but then it dawned on me what song I was hearing.

It was "Scarlet" by U2. And if you know the lyrics of this song, you know that this is indeed a very good sign! I know I shouldn't give it too much credence, but based on my previous results with this little piece of superstition I can't help but be hopeful!

If you feel up to it, give "whatever song comes on next" a try. If something interesting comes on, or even happens, please feel free to share! Until next time...

Posted by snackeru at May 8, 2005 10:37 PM | Life | Stadiums

The power of the "next song on the radio" can not be understated. I firmly believe that the Almighty has spoken to me on at least three occasions through the radio, and one time through the "shuffle" function on my CD player. I now believe that even the combined might of Krinkie and Abrams can not defeat the Twins stadium. The Almighty has spoken! Hopefully he has something to say about the Vikings stadium, too...

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Curt Hanson at May 9, 2005 8:08 AM

My song story was that my parents were taking me to college in Madison. The first song that comes on the radio: "End of the Innocence" by Don Henley. Just the title alone struck me and still does to this day.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 9, 2005 8:18 AM

Great piece! I've often said, "the next bad song that comes on, I'm going to bed." There were a number 'bags under the eyes' moments the next morning.

Music does have great control over our lives.

Everyone ready for Friday the 13th!?!?!

Posted by: Brian Maas at May 9, 2005 8:26 AM

We had a choice to get married on Friday or Saturday. I'm not superstitious, but I did take a pass on Friday the 13th and opted for Saturday instead.

Posted by: SBG at May 9, 2005 8:47 AM

I did a Twins stadium version of "whatever song comes next." It was

"I wanna be Sedated" - The Offspring

We've already escaped Penny Steele, this thing better not layover!

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at May 9, 2005 3:23 PM