< On to the next committee | Main | Local Government Committee: CANCELLED >

Local Government Committee: A Prediction

First of all, check out the Voter's Guide. Based on the outcome of the Governmental Operations committee, there are now 2 fewer anti-stadium legislators and 7 more pro-stadium legislators for a grand total of 63 known pro-stadium representatives in the House. Slowly but surely we are creeping up to the needed 68 votes. That is if my Voter's Guide is at all accurate.

Speaking of which, I will now attempt to use the Voter's Guide to predict the outcome of the Local Government committee:

Local Government Committee

Chair: Mark Olson (R) rep.mark.olson@house.mn No
Vice Chair: Morrie Lanning (R) rep.morrie.lanning@house.mn Yes
Lead-DFL: Debra Hilstrom (DFL) rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn Yes
Bruce Anderson (R) rep.bruce.anderson@house.mn No
Mike Charron (R) rep.mike.charron@house.mn ?
Tony Cornish (R) rep.tony.cornish@house.mn ?
Pat Garofalo (R) rep.pat.garofalo@house.mn Yes
Mary Liz Holberg (R) rep.maryliz.holberg@house.mn No
Frank Hornstein (DFL) rep.frank.hornstein@house.mn No
Larry Hosch (DFL) rep.larry.hosch@house.mn Yes
Ann Lenczewski (DFL) rep.ann.lenczewski@house.mn No
Paul Marquart (DFL) rep.paul.marquart@house.mn Yes
Michael Paymar (DFL) rep.michael.paymar@house.mn Yes
Neil W. Peterson (R) rep.neil.peterson@house.mn Yes
Jeanne Poppe (DFL) rep.jeanne.poppe@house.mn ?
Char Samuelson (R) rep.char.samuelson@house.mn ?
Bev Scalze (DFL) rep.bev.scalze@house.mn Yes
Cy Thao (DFL) rep.cy.thao@house.mn ?
Lynn Wardlow (R) rep.lynn.wardlow@house.mn Yes

So far, I can identify 9 yes votes, 5 no votes, and 5 unknown votes. Of those 5 unknowns, here is my prediction based on where they are from:

Charron -- Woodbury: Yes
Cornish -- Mankato area: Yes
Poppe -- Austin: Yes
Samuelson -- New Hope: No (duh)
Thao -- St. Paul: Yes (my gut feeling)

So, based on my research, the districts the "unknowns" come from, and my gut, and accounting for probable errors in my computations I predict that the Twins/Hennepin County ballpark plan will escape the Local Government Committee with a 13-6 vote.

Could be more, could be less, but in the end I think this bill will pass through the committee. Agree? Disagree? Please let me know, but whatever the case, for the love of all that is holy write these legislators and tell them to support this plan!!!

I've already written all of them. And in my email (and I probably shouldn't have done this) I used the "legislative you" in a line that said, "Please put your hatred of a 90 year old man on the back burner, and start thinking about what is good for the state of Minnesota, the people of Hennepin County, and my family." I got an email back from Bruce Anderson that said, "I do not hate Carl Pohlad." That's it. Thanks for the info there, chief!

UPDATE: Thanks to Kevin for the great news that Bev Scalze has come out in favor of the Hennepin County ballpark proposal and will likely vote "Yes" on the bill during the Local Government committee hearing!!! Fantastic!

Posted by snackeru at May 11, 2005 12:13 PM | Stadiums

Shane, I just got this email back from Bev Scalze. She's my rep and she says she'll vote for it in its current format!!!

Kevin,

Thanks for checking in again.

As I know the bill today (it keeps changing), I will probably vote in favor of it. I will see the bill in my Local Government committee this week. There have been a few amendments, and we'll see what form it takes when we have the final vote on the House floor. I think there is wide bipartisan support.

I appreciate your comments and will keep them in mind as we finish this session.

Bev Scalze
State Representative, 54B
241 State Office Building
100 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
St. Paul MN 55155
651/296-7153
651/296-4165 (fax)
rep.bev.scalze@house.mn

>>> 5/11/2005 1:00:26 PM >>>

Hi Bev,

I wrote you last month concerning the effort of Hennepin County and the Minnesota Twins to build a ballpark in Minneapolis. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE support this measure. I belong to AFSCME Local 722 and we have MANY MANY workers who need these construction jobs. It's bad enough the republicans are doing EVERYTHING they can to clash the budget for public employees, but here is a building project that will put many union employees to work
again!!! PLEASE SUPPORT THIS MEASURE!!! I live in your district and
it's
not going to cost us ANYTHING unless we shop in Hennepin County. And given all of the many shopping options we have in our district, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY people will be shopping in Hennepin County.

Do you know how you're going to vote yet?

I know you'll be busy with LONG floor session today but I hope to hear from you before the Local Gov't Committee convenes to take up HF2480.

Sincerely,

Kevin Buck

Posted by: Kevin at May 11, 2005 3:04 PM

Fantastic Kevin! Thank you so much for this information! As you can see I have updated this entry and the Voter's Guide.

Yes! This has really made my day. Let's keep the pressure on!

Posted by: Shane at May 11, 2005 3:18 PM

Shane,
Just for your info, Morrie Lanning (vice chair) is a graduate of Concordia College (Moorhead). I'm glad to see he's in favor. He's known as a good guy.

Posted by: mom at May 12, 2005 6:52 AM

Shane-
Interesting read in City Pages this week. I hope no one takes their reporting seriously. The side bar on Sid was hilarious though. I heard some of Dark Star late last night talking to a legislature (Knight?). Dark was even more abrupt with him then he is with Sid on that Sunday night show. I can't believe the legislator was putting up with him. It is going to be difficult I think to head off all the folks who want to attached a referendum to this deal.
-Jiminstpaul

Posted by: Jim in St. Paul at May 12, 2005 12:59 PM