< Holy Cow | Main | Whoever You Are >

Friday notes

• Well, I should have checked into this a little closer, but it looks like the Twins stadium bill moving to Committee on Rules and Legislative Administration is just part and parcel of the legislative process. Since the bill missed all three committee deadlines it has to be sent to this Rules committee so they can bless it to move on or whatever. I still wouldn't be surprised if Sviggum tries to circumvent the House Taxes committee, but I realize it is unlikely. Check out this Committee Deadlines page for more information.

10 days, people. That's all we have left to get this bill passed. Yep, that is a tall order, especially considering this bill has two more committees to go through.

• Speaking of stadium bills in state legislatures, I don't know if you saw this, but the Florida legislature did not approve the Marlins proposal for a new stadium in Miami. You remember that bill, don't you? $192 million from the team, $60 million from the state in the form of a sales tax rebate, and the rest from Miami Dade County. The Florida Senate refused to agree to the $60 million from the state. Actually, the Senate President refused to even hear the bill on the Senate floor saying the bill didn't have the support to pass.

Team officials are not commenting until they "review their options." You can be rest assured they are watching Minnesota right now. If we can get something passed, I'm sure the Marlins will try something similar and take the state out of the equation. However, if we also fail then I think both the Marlins and the Twins have some interesting options. I think you know what I mean.

• Well, I'll be going to the Twins game tonight with my son. As you know, tonight is the Hrbek fishing lure night, and I have the complete set of Twins fishing lures. So, I don't even have a choice. I have to go to this game. It should be fun and my son is very excited about it. Knowing him, though, his excitement will last about 1 inning before he is bored out of his skull. I'm going to have him bring his Gameboy just in case.

Posted by snackeru at May 13, 2005 8:39 AM | Stadiums

Blocking comments can't be good...

Posted by: Doug at May 13, 2005 9:59 AM

We'll see if this works...

So, I just thought I would throw this out. Do you think there will ever be a time when team owners realize that governments are very reluctant to spend money on stadiums so these owners actually break down and build their own stadiums?
I realize that if they could get the state, county, or city governments to build them a stadium, that would be the ideal option. They have the move threat which helps in their negotiations. (Or contraction if they have the influence.)

However, if all that fails, as it has for the last several years for the Twins, when does it get to the point when an owner actually realizes that it is actually in his/her best interest to build his/her own stadium. The value of the Twins would sky-rocket if their value was tied to a stadium too.

One of the most valuable sports teams is the Washington Redskins. Why? Because the Redskins owner also owns the stadium. Wrigley field is as much a part of the Cubs as the team. The same goes with the Yankees! You can have none of this if the team owner mearly rents his/her stadium.

Further, you can get EXACTLY what you want. If you want a roof, you include that in the design. You want 500 exclusive luxury skyboxes. Again, make it a part of the deal. It seams to me that allowing a government authority chose the design requires compromise.

I'm sure the city/county would GIVE Pohlad the land... Just a bit of a short rant. It promises to be a high scoring game tonight! Have fun!

Posted by: Doug at May 13, 2005 10:00 AM

I am mad that I won't be able to bring Adam to join you and Anders tonight. Have fun and cannot wait to see what the lure looks like!

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 13, 2005 12:56 PM

Local Government
Committee Meeting Schedule

MONDAY, May 16, 2005
4:30 PM
Room: 10 State Office Building

Chair: Representative Mark Olson

Agenda: HF2480 (Finstad) Baseball stadium development process provided, metropolitan stadium authority established, Metropolitan Council bonds authorized, and host community powers provided.

Those wishing to testify must contact Committee Administrator Mary Cummins (651-296-3244 or mary.cummins@house.mn ) to be placed on the agenda.

Posted by: kevin at May 13, 2005 4:14 PM