< Friday notes | Main | Why I love the Dome >

Whoever You Are

I enjoy "one hit wonders," you know, the songs that were the only hit for an artist or band before they drifted into obscurity. Songs like "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, or "In the Meantime" by Spacehog. Really good stuff, but I could never name another song by these artists. I'm sure you could come up with your own.

Another one hit wonder I really like is "Whoever You Are" by Geggy Tah. This is a great song built around the premise of someone thanking another person for allowing him to change lanes on the highway. The lyric goes:

All I want to do is thank you
Even though I don't know who you are
You let me change lanes
While I was driving in my car
Whoever you are
I wanna thank you

And the lyric goes on in the same innocuous fashion. It obviously is a simple song that makes you feel good and, at least in my case, it makes me want to let people change lanes while I'm driving in my car. You know what I mean? Why in the world are we so against people changing lanes?

A couple of days ago my brother-in-law and I were driving down 394 on our way home from work. My brother-in-law noticed that our exit was approaching so he checked his blind spot and started to move over into the right hand lane. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a Porsche Cayenne started honking and speeding up while trying to stop us from changing lanes. My brother-in-law was already half way over so he finished his lane change while we both looked behind at the car making all the noise and trouble.

The Porsche Cayenne sped up beside us. Now, any person in our position would probably expect the same thing we did, the infamous bird. However, this driver was a little more creative than that. Instead of the bird, he took his thumb and rubbed it against the rest of his fingers in the international sign for "money" and then pointed at himself. He did this twice and then drove away.

My brother-in-law and I were simply quite stunned by this. What on earth was he saying? The only thing we could come up with was, "You might have changed lanes in front of me, but I have more money." Or maybe just "I have more money than you." After we came up with this, it actually became very humorous. I'll give this jerk one thing, he was definitely creative with his attempted put-down, but seriously ... "I have more money than you?"

So, anyway, this little incident reminded me of Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are" and really how much easier it is for all of us just to let people change lanes while we are driving. The jerk we dealt with was more put out by his own actions to stop us from changing lanes than if he had just let us move over.

In conclusion, if you are driving home tonight and someone tries to change lanes in front of you, just let them. In fact, let them and then give them a smile and a wave. I guarantee it will make you and the other driver feel better about everything, including life in general. Oh, and just as a rule of thumb, if you are one of those drivers that can't stand it when someone changes lanes in front of you, if you have to speed up to stop someone from changing lanes that is a pretty good indication you are at fault. Chill out.

Lastly (I guess the paragraph above was not the conclusion) I also think we should all try the new put-down introduced to my brother-in-law and me by the jerk in the Porsche. "I have more money than you." ... that is just priceless!

Posted by snackeru at May 13, 2005 4:12 PM | Life

I enjoy "Mungo City" by Spacehog as well. Can't explain it.

Posted by: bjhess at May 14, 2005 8:32 AM

I agree Shane, people are far too cruel being anonymous in their cars. I, sadly, must confess to taking things far too personally while driving on occasion. Your article has certainly renewed my desire to be a more courteous driver. Thanks.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 14, 2005 11:37 AM

The money gesture, fascinating. Was he trying to tell you that you owed him money for the service of his highway hospitality. What a concept to recognize the opening of the much misunderstood MnPass lanes: you could bill your road-mates for their lack of courtesy, or send in money to polite drivers. Just like how we have to send money to our government for the privledge of using an extra lane, which apparently I can be billed as much as $8.00 for (I don't own a MnPass device) if I pass someone or weave into that lane to avoid an accident during peak hours. My DH changed his life when he started using public transportation and didn't have to be eye to eye with the jerks on the road. Now if he could just give pedestrians the right of way...

Posted by: Understatement of the Year's Wife at May 16, 2005 10:30 AM

My NEXT wife will appreciate me more.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 16, 2005 11:29 AM

I love that song! the video is funny and that was one of my favorites back in the day.

Posted by: Anon at July 29, 2005 1:56 PM