< Songs for a Desert Island VII | Main | Stadium revenue sources >

Good riddens, Red

I don't have anything really coherent and/or well-planned to say about the recent sale of the Vikings, but I do have a lot of "stream of consciousness" type thoughts:

Red McCombs

• First of all, thank God (thank you God!) that this is the end of "Purple Pride." Gah! What a horrible catch phrase we've been tortured with all these years. Just think about it: "Purple Pride" ... it sounds like a phrase someone would use in a porn film. Zygi's first order of business should be to rid this phrase from the Vikings' lexicon. Anyone caught uttering this phrase ever again should be forced to listen to Chris Berman praise Brett Favre and Lambeau Field for 24 hours straight. This will be the last time this phrase is ever mentioned on the Greet Machine.

• Secondly, when Red became owner he thought it would be a good idea to create a Vikings hall of fame. Not a bad idea, but what to call it? (Valhalla) It needs to be a powerful name that reaches back into Viking lore. (Valhalla) A word that maybe the real Vikings used to talk about the afterlife (Valhalla) where Viking warriors fought battles in glory for eternity. (Valhalla) I know, let's call it the "Ring of Honor." What the ?!?!?!? Note to Zygi: after you are done torturing anyone who utters the "phrase that cannot be spoken" please try to work the name "Valhalla" into some aspect of the franchise, perhaps even the "Ring of Honor." Naming the "Ring of Honor" as such when the name "Valhalla" was available was an injustice on par with something like re-naming Thor's hammer "Tappy." It just shouldn't have been done. (By the way, Thor's hammer is called Mjolnir. Try saying that three times fast you inebriated, illiterate cheeseheads! Skol Vikings!)

• Another note to Zygi: for the love of all that is holy stop playing "Welcome to the Jungle." Just stop! My ears can no longer take the bleeding induced by this overrated song. Again, the Vikings need a song that maybe hearkens back to the real Vikings. (The Immigrant Song) A song that rocks and makes sense from the standpoint of "From the fury of the Norsemen, O Lord, save us!" (The Immigrant Song) A song that the Twins already use! The Twins!!! To recap: "Welcome to the Jungle" OUT; "The Immigrant Song" IN. Let's make it happen, Zygi.

• Concerning the stadium, I love, love, love what I am hearing. Zygi obviously remembers the Viking teams of old. The teams that would chant "Odin, Odin, Odin" as they prepared to thrash the visiting opponent while the cold descended on the field. The teams that would play in the snow, the mud, the rain proving once again the greatness of the group of people known as "Vikings." It is time to bring this tradition back and I am just giddy over the thought of an outdoor stadium. Giddy! I've said this before, but the day they opened the Metrodome every male in Minnesota turned in his penis. You heard me. It is time to reclaim our manhood and start welcoming other teams, as Zygi has already said, to our nice, warm Minnesota winters. Build a stadium, Zygi, but build it without a roof. What a genius idea! It gets me pumped just thinking about it!

• And speaking of the stadium, I am still of the opinion that Wilf is going to pay for the bulk of it himself. Let's recap what Wilf has already said. First of all, he has forcefully stated that he will never move the Vikings. "It will never happen" he has said. So, that bit of leverage with the state legislature is gone. Secondly, he is now stating that he prefers an outdoor stadium. The legislature will never agree to fund a $500 million venue, where the main tenant only plays 10 games a year, and where, due to its lack of a roof, it is basically out-of-commission for at least half of the year. Never. So, that bit of leverage is gone. Thirdly, as I've already mentioned in another post, Wilf is a Giants fan, and the Giants are paying for their own stadium themselves. I know Wilf has already said that public financing will be a part of the plan, but he could be talking about infrastructure or what have you. If Wilf wants to have an outdoor stadium, he is going to have to pay for it himself. And this, Vikings fans, is a very good thing.

UPDATE: It looks like Glen Taylor agrees with me:

Taylor said he believes Wilf will do a good job owning the Vikings, and he thought the New Jersey real estate mogul's call for an outdoor stadium was a smart move -- one he would have made as owner.

"I'll say that now," Taylor said. "I'm not sure how we'd have negotiated it. But all along our plan was an open-air thing to make the suites more valuable. And it was something we thought we could build ourselves that way."

Indeed, as the process of negotiation moved along, Taylor became more and more convinced that's how any new stadium would have to be done.

And that would have made any Vikings deal much more expensive than the $600 million price tag.

"I assumed the further we got in this, there was the possibility we'd have to build our own stadium," he said.

Who isn't excited? Who? I am pumped!

• Finally, what does this sale do for the prospects of a Twins stadium? If I was a state legislator I would be thinking, "OK, we've got a new Vikings owner that is going to come begging at the state capitol as early as next year. We've got a workable Twins stadium proposal that will get that mess off our plate. Do we really want to deal with two stadiums next year at the same time?" I sincerely hope the legislature does the right thing, the smart thing, and takes care of the Twins (and the Gophers) this year. I honestly think that this Vikings sale gives the Twins stadium bill some momentum. Legislators don't want to deal with this anymore knowing that they will have to deal with the Vikings in earnest next year. In a short snippet yesterday I heard Sviggum say that stadiums for the Gophers and the Twins will be dealt with in this special session. Let's hope that this Vikings sale and a little strong arming from Sviggum can finally put this mess behind us.

That's all for now. See you soon.

Posted by snackeru at May 26, 2005 8:44 AM | Vikings

Comments:

"Red out, Zygi in" - A good thing. I agree with you that 'Purple Pride' is a crap slogan, like something a used-car salesman would use to try to pump up interest in a lot full of rustbuckets. (Hey...)

On the flip side of the coin, I hope we can avoid calling the guy 'Zygi' too much - every time I hear the name I have a flashback to the scene in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" where Napoleon is sitting in the ice-cream parlor. "Eat the pig, eat the pig, eat the Ziggy, Ziggy pig!" I liked the movie, but too many flashbacks to that scene might force me to give up being a football fan.

"Valhalla" - Absolutely. Let's do it.

"The Immigrant Song" - Eh, I'm not a fan. For starters, the Twins use it, and I think that alone both makes the song a) overplayed and b) not distinctive enough for football.

Given how many times we've been disappointed by this club in the post-season, I'd vote for Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", and even that song is pretty much played out at this point. Failing that, nearly anything off the Madden 2005 soundtrack would work.

"Vikings stadium" - You say the new owner wants a new stadium, and that he's willing to pay for it himself? And that the other prospective Vikes owner was seriously considering paying for his own stadium? Gimme a 'hell yeah!' Even I can get behind that plan.

"effect on Twins stadium plan" - I could see where some legislators would look at the Vikings stadium being taken off their agenda as an invitation to focus on the Twins stadium. I can also see where the widespread acceptance that the Vikes will pay for their own stadium might well provoke questions about why the Twins can't do the same. At the monent, the special session is still young, and the legislature is working on bigger priorities, so we'll have to wait and see how the rhetoric plays out.

Posted by: david Wintheiser at May 26, 2005 11:30 AM

Has to be the Immigrant Song. I posted part of the lyrics yesterday. Here is the total song. If this doesn't fit the Vikings, I'll eat my ugly straw hat.

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying:
Valhalla, I am coming!
On we sweep with threshing oar,
Our only goal will be the western shore.

from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green,
Can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war.
We are your overlords.
On we sweep with threshing oar,

So now you’d better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day
Despite of all your losing.

Posted by: SBG at May 26, 2005 12:34 PM

Yes, I'm still thinking they Immigrant Song would work. The Twins use it, yes, but it just doesn't work as a baseball song. It makes much more sense as a football song, especially a Vikings football song. You could mix it differently, too. They could single out Plant's voice ("Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, AHHHH!") without music and do that a couple of times to alert the crowd that a kick off is about to happen. Then, they could blast in with the music. I think it would work great.

Also, since I love "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" I am even more fond of the name Zygi now. Great name. Very endearing.

Also, let me clarify something. I am, of course, not positive at all concerning Wilf's plans on funding the stadium himself. From what I've heard, I am putting 2 and 2 together and hypothesizing that he will have to strongly consider doing so.

Wilf's statement saying "public funding will be a part of the mix" was a very good thing for the Twins stadium effort. Again, I hope the legislature decides to just clear this off their plate given the fact that the Vikings will come courting next year. If Wilf had just come out and said, "I will pay for this thing myself" it would have been very bad for the Twins stadium effort. Thankfully, he made his comments just confusing enough to leave some doubt about what his true intentions are.

Posted by: Shane at May 26, 2005 3:54 PM

Here's what I always thought would be a cool entrance for the Vikes:

Get a couple of guys dressed like Ragnar pounding a really big drum. Start with that slow "boom, boom" sound. Gradually build up the speed and then have 2 huge horns blown with the Vikes then coming out of the smoky tunnel (not an inflatable ship, that is really lame). Make it original, hell with an actual song to start things off.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at May 26, 2005 4:55 PM

Valhalla. . . yes, Valhalla. . .its a no brainer. I cannot believe Valhalla has not been used, in some form, by the Viking organization. I've been waiting for Valhalla for 20 years or more. Why not Valhalla Field as the new outdoor stadium name? I once owned an old home in Duluth with an attic I planned on remodeling using a Viking theme.I was going to call it Valhalla. Framed pictures of Grant and Marshall with snowflakes flying, statue of Thor, framed newspaper headlines of great Viking triumphs and miserable gut wrenching Packer debacles. . .you get the picture.

On Red. . . .I can only say that every disparaging thing Patrick Reusse has ever written about him sums up my thoughts. And, Patrick says it better than I ever could. At least Texas will have one of its village idiots back.

Posted by: TC at May 26, 2005 7:09 PM

Yes! "Valhalla Field" !! That is perfect. How do we make this happen?

Posted by: Shane at May 27, 2005 9:40 AM