< A list of inspired songs | Main | Sorry... >

A day at the races

As many of you already know, Stick and Ball Guy, Mr. Cheer or Die, Cheesehead Craig, and I all finally met for the first time this weekend. We met at the Chipotle in Hopkins for some burritos and tacos before heading off to the races at Canterbury Park (sans Cheesehead Craig who had a previous engagement). I spotted SBG right away thanks to his "Don't blame me I voted for Santana/Nathan" T-shirt, but I was a little surprised with COD's attire which happened to be a Chris Hovan jersey. When you meet someone for the first time I guess their true colors come out. (Just kidding. Both were dressed as you would expect.)

The races were a blast. It was the first time I had ever been to Canterbury Park and only the second time I had ever been to a race track. Races take place about every half an hour which gave us time to pick our horses and chat about the Twins, Vikings, blogging, and life in general. SBG has already admitted to losing $10, which sadly makes me feel like a complete idiot and the unluckiest person in the world. At the end of the day I lost over $30. In other words, given my luck I'm feeling less and less positive about a new Twins stadium everyday (more about that fiasco around lunch, I hope).

One other thing that struck me was the false impression I had of both SBG and COD before we met. Based on their blogs, I had a picture of their demeanor and attitudes that turned out to be not necessarily wrong, but definitely different. They probably felt the same thing about me. It makes me wonder about our blog personas vs. the way we really are. Which personalities are a better representation of our true selves? Do our blogs do a better job of representing our true attitudes about the world around us, or are our blogs really just a mask that allow us to have fun and spout off but don't really mirror our public personas? Perhaps.

I'm leaning more towards my blog being a better representation of my true self. In public I try to be light-hearted about all of this stadium business, but deep down I am a bona-fide freak about getting a new Twins stadium. This, of course, is evidenced by all the time I've spent writing about this issue on these hallowed pages. In other words, this blog is very theraputic for me. Without it, my wife would have gotten very sick of all my stadium talk by now. Ha!

Anyway, back to the races. At the end of the day I ended up only winning one race, and my pay-out was only a dime since I bet a four horse "extaca" (of the four horses I picked, two of them had to finish 1-2 in any order). I know, what a risk I took. We left around 4:00 after about 6 races, and COD gave me a ride home (thanks again COD!). Needless to say, we will definitely have to get together again.

That's about it for now. More later, I'm sure...

Posted by snackeru at June 13, 2005 8:48 AM | Life

My Santana/Nathan t-shirt was in the wash.

Posted by: SBG at June 13, 2005 9:53 AM

Foul! Foul!

I would as much wear a Hovan jersey (it comes with a hood for sulking I'm told) as I would a Favre jersey.

Posted by: Brian Maas at June 13, 2005 11:07 AM

After reviewing the play, the call on the blog stands. COD was wearing a Hovan jersey. Along with this infraction, it was also determined that he was wearing a hat which read "Denny was right".

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at June 13, 2005 11:55 AM

I foresee a couple of "bad" oysters being set aside for you and Shane when we all gather at my place later this summer.

Posted by: Brian Maas at June 13, 2005 12:09 PM

That instant replay review has been about as charitable to COD as calls have been to the Vikings in the last several Viking/Packer games.

Posted by: SBG at June 13, 2005 12:47 PM