< Books I am excited to read | Main | This and that >

OK, just why are you here?

Mr. Cheer or Die wrote a very thought provoking piece today concerning health care expenses in the great state of Minnesota and how he thinks state employees (like myself) should have to pay more in order to reign in costs. To paraphrase Mr. COD, the fact that my co-pays are so low does not encourage me to live a healthy lifestyle and ends up costing the state of Minnesota more money. Increasing my healthcare costs, especially my Rx costs, would most likely force me to think twice about having that cheeseburger for lunch (by the way, it was yummy), get more exercise, and as a result cost the state of Minnesota less as I get older (and less fat).

Being a state employee, I am outraged with this idea. Not because it doesn't make sense, but because I can't afford it. I wrote COD a comment asking him more questions about his plan, but truthfully in the end, and even though he works in the healthcare industry and probably knows what he is talking about, I don't care what he says. You'll take away my benefits over my dead body COD! I choose not to believe your tale of doom and gloom! Now pass the cheesy fries!

Anyway, that is what I love about blogs. I love it when you get to a blog you might visit regularly expecting to read something about the Vikings and instead you get something thought provoking and unexpected. You get a glimpse into the real life of the blog author and a better understanding of the person behind the persona. Truth be told, I love it more when Aaron Gleeman shares something personal about his life than his writing about the Twins because it is unexpected and usually quite humorous. Who can write about the Twins, or the Vikings, or the stadium every single day? I would wager no one and a really hope no one does. It is boring.

COD's first comment to his post above said this:

"Seriously dude, stick to football."

This was signed by "Neil." Well, Neil, like I said above I hope COD doesn't stick to football. As much as I probably don't agree with him on a wide variety of issues I love to learn more about his views (as misguided as they are). COD will undoubtedly bring us more football news than we can shake a stick at come football season, but for now I welcome diversions such as his post above.

So, that brings you to me. As you might have noticed, I am not writing about sports or stadiums much anymore. I sincerely hope you don't mind. It was getting boring and quite frankly I was getting tired of taking a beating from people like David Wintheiser and frightwig. Of course, I was doing my share of snarky pro-stadium blathering, but I just needed a break. I can't argue the same points over and over and over again. I mean, I know I'm right about everything concerning stadiums, I've said my piece, and now I am content to just kick back for a little bit. Besides, without my pro-stadium stuff to react to Wintheiser has been writing some really good stuff lately.

Anyway, I'll be back with pro-stadium stuff once there is action on the bill. You can be rest assured of that. Until then, I hope you don't begrudge me my own "diversions." Like I said above, writing about sports all the time is boring. Boring for you, yes, but really boring for me. Let us embrace the unexpected and encourage it!

• I got this comment from "freealonzo" yesterday:

"I disagree that the ballpark situation is bleak. The July 1 deadline is only for budget issues because that's when the State's fiscal year ends.

Once the budget stuff is taken care of Gophers stadium and Twins stadium will be considered and with speed that will leave opponents breathless and shocked."

I love that comment. It definitely brightened my day. Now that is the right attitude to have! Upward and onward people! The Twins stadium is still alive!

Posted by snackeru at June 28, 2005 1:09 PM | Life

Well, if that isn't a twisted take on what I was conveying I don't know what is. And get your butt back there and read my response....don't go all turtle shell on me now!

Me thinks the Big Four should really anger people and not touch on sports topics at all on our respective blogs for the week of July 3. That'll show these spoiled readers!

Posted by: Brian Maas at June 28, 2005 1:37 PM

Hey, stick to bunnies. As for me, I'm thinking about critiquing other blogs at my site. Any suggestions?

Posted by: SBG at June 28, 2005 1:54 PM

Great idea SBG. How about you start with a critique of your favorite blogs and why you read them? I would be very interested in that, especially if you read any non-sports related blogs.

Also, what is the blog you read first in the morning? Is it your favorite or do you read it first because it isn't?

Finally, it looks like the state budget stalemate is coming to a close. Bunnies will have to take a back seat to stadiums if that happens. Sorry to disappoint!

Posted by: Shane at June 28, 2005 2:00 PM

I read SBG first thing every morning. You should, too. That guy cracks me up! ;)

Posted by: SBG at June 28, 2005 3:06 PM

SBG, I already critique some blogs with my Fab Five feature (which I am quite proud of). There was a guy who just went around Blogger and ripped the hell out of blogs, Asshat Blogs I believe his site was called. Not sure if he's still around. He actually gave me a helpful point or two when he took on my blog.

COD had a good idea (blind squirrel and a nut and all), let's all write about a topic non-sports related for a day. We all write on the same topic, but put our own ideas behind it. Or just call it "Serious Topic Day" (STD) and write about whatever we want that is not sports.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at June 28, 2005 3:06 PM

I like the Fab Five idea. I also liked the Asshat thing. That was cool. You and your neighbor Shane are forgetting that I have done a little blog critiquing in the recent past, however. My comment was [apparently] a not so thinly veiled reference to that fiasco.

Posted by: SBG at June 28, 2005 3:13 PM

Ah ... yes, SBG, you got some criticism yourself for that move. Maybe you should stick to critiquing yourself!

I do like CC's (Brian's?) idea of picking a topic and then all of us writing on it. Sounds like fun.

Posted by: Shane at June 28, 2005 3:21 PM

I did? I hadn't noticed! Like CC said, if we were all Brewer fans, none of this would have happened.

Posted by: SBG at June 28, 2005 3:28 PM

Yea, every time SBG "critiques" a blog, the first somment is always:

"A little jealous, are we?"

Posted by: TwinsJunkie at June 28, 2005 4:52 PM

I find that interesting, TJ. I'm actually jealous of the blogs that I compliment the most. For example, I am quite jealous of Aaron Gleeman. I have often thought to myself -- why can't I write like him? The answer is: because I'm not AG. But, I'd sure like to be able to write a page as good as his.

I think I'm going to explore this on my webpage.

Posted by: SBG at June 29, 2005 12:23 PM