< My nominees for next year's legislative leadership | Main | Live 8 >

Stuff I don't like

Yesterday's revelation that I actually don't care for the music of Tom Petty was very liberating. For years I have hemmed and hawed around this issue in order to appease that Canadian we all know and love, Curt in Grand Forks, but to finally come out and say what I really think was wonderful. So, it got me to thinking, what other kinds of stuff don't I like? What other revelations can I come clean about?

That's about all for now. Have a good weekend everyone!

Posted by snackeru at July 1, 2005 12:40 PM | Life

A very interesting post. My wife tried just last night to jam hummus down my throat, even while I was holding our ninth month old baby! I believe that hummus is among the most disgusting foods on earth. America's next top model is difficult to watch. The first few shots of Tyra are definitely outstanding, but this isn't enough to carry the show after a while. I agree completely with the Doors and Queen dislikes (although I have a much higher tolerance for Queen than the Doors).

Who hated all Chicago sports first, me or you? Who influenced who back in college? I remember despising the Bears and Blackhawks back in high school, and certainly have added the White Sox since 2000. I may be the one NBA fan in the country who despised Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, et al. Nothing, however, can match my hatred for Mike Singletary. I got so sick of the constant "Watch Singletary's eyes" camera shots in every Bears game back in the 1980s. I shudder to even think of him. I also have no warm feelings for Willie Gault, Matt Suey, and Richard Dent, among others. The Bears, by far, are my most despised teams in all of professional sports.

On a personal note, I hate the "historic home" question. Up here in the archives, I get the "what can you tell me about my historic home" all the time. In fact, I just finished this question right before I checked Greet Machine. I don't know why it is, but I really hate that reference question!

Curt in Grand Forks

PS- I also hate Chuck Cecil, who played safety for the Pack back in the 1980s. What a dirty SOB!!

Posted by: Anonymous at July 1, 2005 3:24 PM

"Whiskey Bar" is a fun little song by the Doors. I happen to like Queen, not too many better front men than Freddie Mercury. This was a band more about fun than serious music, so you have to take that into consideration.

The Apprentice is a crappy show, hated it. OOOOOOO let's see how powerful Trump is by watching him firing a suck-up. Whatever. Yes, I like Top Model, but only for looking at Tyra, I can live w/o the rest of the show.

I trump you and Curt on hating Chicago. I was born and raised about 80 miles from that sh*t hole and had to deal with the Illinisians far more often than either of you did. I am happier when the WI teams beat the Bears, Bulls, Cubs and U of Ill than with any other win. I will refrain from a Mike Singletary rant, getting too worked up.

I hate antiques and antiquing! Overpriced crap, period.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 1, 2005 4:22 PM

1) We love hummus in our house. Dipping pita bread into it is great.
2) I hate the Chicago teams but I do like Chicago itself. Fantastic dining, the blues for entertainment, nice hotels, great museums.

You guys are just jaded ol' fuddy-duddy's.

Posted by: Brian Maas at July 1, 2005 9:40 PM

While I agree that Morrison is overrated as a "poet," he did not write "Light My Fire." Credit/blame for the lyric goes to guitarist Robbie Krieger.

Posted by: frightwig at July 2, 2005 1:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification, frightwig! More research verifies your comment, although people do give Morrison credit for the second verse. Regardless, I still think, as you do, that Morrison is overrated.

Posted by: Shane at July 2, 2005 8:24 AM

Time for me to weigh in. First of all, Lucy has posted extensively on our cats. I think it's pretty good.

Secondly, I kinda like "L.A. Woman". I'll agree that the Doors are overrated, but I have a weakness for that song. I've never really got the Morrison as poet meme and he ended up as a characiture of himself at a pretty damned young age. Had he lived, I'm pretty sure his reputation would have been steadily diminished.

I love Chicago. Not its sports teams, but it is a great place to go and have fun. It's a big city, not like this burg we live in.

I like Dancing Days. I've always liked the sound and the carefree lyrics.

What I don't like is that I loaned my brother my "Get Yer Ya-Yas Out" CD several years ago and it came back broken. This is the best Live Album of all time. I found a site discussing it the other day, and there is a possibility of a re-release that cleans it up and adds a few more songs. Oh, to be at Madison Square Garden in 1969 when the Stones blew through there. Nothing tops that.

Of course, I may not have really appreciated it, because I was only four years old.

Posted by: SBG at July 2, 2005 1:35 PM

I like The Doors debut album and some cuts from their other records. "People Are Strange" is my favorite song by them. But they are a band that has become less interesting to me as the years go by. Not sure if it's me aging and developing different taste, or if The Doors just haven't aged so well the further we get from the '60s.

Posted by: frightwig at July 5, 2005 3:54 AM