< Live 8 | Main | Food for thought >

Backyard Border Battle

This weekend saw the beginning of what should prove to be a battle of epic proportions, the Backyard Border Battle between me and Cheesehead Craig. As you probably know, Chessehead Craig and I are neighbors. We share a backyard. You probably also know that recently the University of Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin competed for the Border Battle Cup, an award that Wisconsin miraculously won. Well, given the fact that Cheesehead Craig and I live on our own border of sorts we have decided to partake in our own battle for backyard supremacy. Our battle will consist of these competitions:

As you can see, the competition has already begun. Craig simply crushed me in the home run derby portion of the events. It wasn't even close. But I can't be too upset by that given Craig plays softball on a weekly basis. Next we played Horse and truth be told I handily beat Craig in that. I belive I had "O" before beating him with a long distance shot. Craig tried to beat me with trick shots, but fortunately for me he missed more than he made.

And yesterday we played Trivial Pursuit. This was a game for the ages. Craig jumped out to a 4-1 pie piece lead before I stormed back to tie him and eventually take the lead. I was the first to enter the middle but I could not close the deal. Craig then tied me and entered the middle but neither of us could answer the final question. Finally, on I believe my fourth try, I got the question, "What psychiatrist was rumored to have quipped after 30 years of research and theorizing about the human psyche, 'The great question that has never been answered ... What does a woman want?'"? Of course I answered "Sigmund Freud" and the game was over.

Craig was visibly shaken, especially considering he is two years older than me (and therefore has two more years of "book learnin'"). Truly though, given our back and forth during the game and the fact that both of us had numerous opportunities to win, it was quite possibly the greatest game of Trivial Pursuit ever played. I can say that because, of course, I won the match. If I had lost I would probably not be so enthusiastic.

Anyway, that is where we stand. I am up 2-1 in my efforts to vindicate the great state of Minnesota. You might be wondering what we are playing for. Well, like the border battle between our two universities, we will also be playing for a cup, or a goblet, or a stein of some sort. The winner will get this yet to be determined cup (most likely decorated with the winner's name and other "crunkified" paraphenalia) and upon receiving it the winner will be able to demand the loser fills it with whatever the winner desires. This could be anything from a Sunffy's milkshake, to a cup full of "Tahitian Treat" or Crush Grape soda.

Needless to say, the stakes are high. I can only imagine what obscure drink Cheesehead Craig is thinking of right now. I must win this competition not only for my honor, but for my gas tank. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to drive all over the place looking for Craig's drink. That would be humiliating! Anyway, we'll keep you posted with how the events progress.

See you later!

Posted by snackeru at July 5, 2005 8:44 AM | Life

Did you have Minnesota Rouser playing in the background after you anwered the Freud question?

Curt in Grand Forks

Posted by: Anonymous at July 5, 2005 8:57 AM

True enough, the TP game was an instant classic and if there was a network for these, it would be played on a weekly basis. I figured you would win HORSE and TP, so I'm not worried.

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 5, 2005 11:04 AM

Shane,

Are you giving Craig odds? I mean, you want this to be a challenge, don't you?

-Tim

Posted by: Brother-In-Law Tim at July 5, 2005 11:12 AM