July 21, 2005
Links of the day
- Why are movie theater revenues declining? This guy thinks it is because of all the ads (among other factors [see comment]).
- Poetic justice? Some people are trying to build a hotel on land owned by Supreme Court Justice David Souter. They will call it "The Lost Liberty Hotel."
- Need a new alarm clock? How about one with a bacon-cooking aroma module?
- Amazing "symptom checker" from WebMD that can help you deduce your illness and whether or not you need to see a doctor.
- 40 things that only happen in movies.
- How to make an origami bowl out of paper. Handy!
- Outline summary of The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. Very nice.
- Swimming pool mosaics featuring characters from Finding Nemo. Beautiful.
- Wikipedia list of "Price is Right" games. I've been waiting for a list like this. Awesome!
- More folding ... napkin folding 101. Pick a design and learn how to do it!
- How to give a great presentation. Excellent and cogent advice.
- The world's best palindrome. Simply amazing how a person could come up with this.
That's all I got for now...
Posted by snackeru at July 21, 2005 8:22 AM | Links of the day
You have the best links. Love the palindrome! :)
Posted by: SBG at July 21, 2005 10:57 AM
I was not all that impressed with the palindrome.
Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 21, 2005 2:55 PM
Not just the ads, but
1) Social factors eroding theater environment (talking, cell phones, babies crying, etc.);
2) Sacrificing long term relationships with theater-goers for the increase in short term profitability (commercials, no ushers, etc.);
3) Higher quality experience elsewhere (Home theater);
4) Declining quality of mainstream movies;
5) Easily available Long Tail content alternatives (Netflix, Amazon).
Posted by: Barry Ritholtz at July 21, 2005 2:55 PM
Glad you liked the palindrome, SBG, and sorry you didn't CC. Must have been too difficult for you to figure out.
And Barry, please forgive my "reader's digest" synopsis. I will correct this mistake. And thanks for the comment and clarification!
Posted by: Shane at July 21, 2005 3:01 PM
I'm a little hurt, CC, that you didn't readily agree with what I said.
Posted by: SBG at July 21, 2005 3:19 PM
It was a weak palindrome. Anyone can just make up a word to create one. Didn't live up to the hype.
Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 21, 2005 4:18 PM
That is what makes it funny, or are you just trying to be difficult? Whatever, I thought it was humorous.
Posted by: Shane at July 21, 2005 4:35 PM
Know that this reader always appreciates your Link days. Just great.
Posted by: Anonymous at July 21, 2005 5:08 PM
Thanks anonymous commenter! I appreciate that.
Posted by: Shane at July 22, 2005 8:23 AM
Have you seen this before? It's a number guessing game: http://www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/guessthenumber.html. I guessed 41710, and it got it right! Pretty neat.
Posted by: Merideth Carleton at May 22, 2006 3:26 PM