< Maybe something later! | Main | Relax ... >

Where have you been?

Sorry for the long absence everyone. There are only two words to describe my lack of posting: Harry Potter. Last night I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and I must say that it met with my high expectations. I couldn't put it down. Every spare moment I have had over the last couple of days has been spent reading this book. So, now that I have finished, back to the grind of daily postings for the Greet Machine, I hope. Expect something around lunch.

Back to Harry Potter, though. My favorite book is still The Prisoner of Azkaban but this one is almost as good. Just a fantastic read. And without giving too much away, I don't thing everything is as cut and dry as Rowling would have us believe. The big death in Prince is HUGE, the betrayal is shocking, but I think we will see a return of the deceased in the next (and final) book in the series. Rowling has also done an excellent job of setting that book up. We know what Harry has to do and it sure looks like some daunting tasks. The final showdown with Voldemort should be a dandy.

If you've read the book(s) feel free to leave a comment below. If you haven't read them, what are you waiting for? Your public library has a bunch of copies, I'm sure, so do yourself a favor and check them out. You won't be disappointed. See you later...

Posted by snackeru at July 27, 2005 8:28 AM | Books

Can I borrow the book now?

Posted by: Cheesehead Craig at July 27, 2005 8:37 AM

The third movie finally surpassed the book series for me. I like "Prisoner," but I loved the movie. (BLASPHEMER!) Too bad the director didn't stick around. It's all about him.

Anyway, I'm going to start the fourth book pretty soon.

Posted by: bjhess at July 27, 2005 9:34 AM

I started reading the books the past 10 days because I figured I wanted to know how it all ends. I have a 10 year old and 12 year old so I have a basic understanding of the characters, story etc. I also saw the first two movies.

I am 2/3 done with Azkaban and to be frank, it's been a bit of a grind. I wish JKR would have kept the story at about 320-350 pages. I've heard that 4 and 5 really ramp up so I am looking forward to move on to those, even though the number of pages has me worried.

Posted by: freealonzo at July 27, 2005 10:08 AM

High standards? I don't know if I would exactly call someone who lists Journey as one of his favorite bands, Chipotle as one of his favorite restaurants, and South Dakota as one of his favorite vacation destinations as a man of "high standards." That's just me, though.

Posted by: Vince at July 27, 2005 3:03 PM

First of all, yes Craig, you can borrow the book. You've only got about a week to read it though before it is due. I doubt it will take you that long anyway.

I also liked the Azkaban movie much more than the first two. However, I still liked the book more. The only movie I have ever liked more than the book was The Firm by John Grisham. So-so book, great movie. Runaway Jury was like that too.

And freealonzo, I'm surprised you think Azkaban is such a "grind." As I said before, it is my favorite. Maybe you are reading all of them back to back to back and unconsciously you are getting sick of them? Goblet of Fire is loooong, but it is good.

And Vince ... what the? I have never, ever, ever, said I liked Journey. Never! I can't stand Journey. It is my good buddy Curt that likes Journey, and even he is souring on them. The other "put-downs" are accurate. In fact, I just had Chipotle today. Delicious!

Posted by: Shane at July 27, 2005 3:28 PM

It is well settled that Chipotle qualifies as fine dining.

Posted by: SBG at July 27, 2005 5:09 PM

O.k. I finished Azkaban last night and it really picked up for me. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and think I'll take a HP break (3 books in 10 days, yikes!).

And I am sorry Shane but the movie version of "The Firm" sucked (say sucked in a high pitched voice lingering on the short "u"). They completely changed the ending to make Tom Cruise look better. I've never read or watched a Grishem product after I saw that movie.

Posted by: Freealonzo at July 28, 2005 7:27 AM

I will concede that Chipotle is quite yummy, but only if you can sweet talk them into loading a little extra cheese on that bad boy. However, you seemed to know a little too much about Journey for me to believe that you didn't own an album or two. hmmmm.

Posted by: Vince at July 28, 2005 8:13 AM

Having known Shane (and his CD collection) for almost fifteen years, I can testify to the fact that he does not own any Journey albums. I am the guilty party here, not Shane. I was a huge Journey fan, especially back in college. Shane and I had a show on the Concordia radio station, and I went so far as to refer to Journey as "my band." I look foolishly, and shamelessly, back on those days. I still have a couple of Journey albums, but listen to them once every two years or so. Hopefully attending the U2 concert this summer will atone for my past musical sins.

Curt in Grand Forks (who will now leave the blog in sheer humiliation)

Posted by: Curt Hanson at July 28, 2005 8:29 AM

Chipotle should be fine dining - it has the calories of a five course meal.

Posted by: bjhess at July 28, 2005 4:40 PM